cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Campers, Help Please

Rand77
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we are new to camping and I have a question about towing. We lucked into our camper at a steal which is the only reason we bought it without worrying about weight first. We've taken it camping a few times but always pulling it with my dads 2500. Our camper is a 2006 32' Zinger with 2 slides. I'll type out the info from the weight card from inside the camper. My question is can I safely pull this camper with my 2011 Ford Expedition with a 5.4 V8?

GVWR 11,100
Minus UVW 7,044
Minus Fresh Water. 381
Minus Proprane. 60
CCC for this trailer. 3,614

Thank you! If I need to add any additional info I can.
11 REPLIES 11

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
The tongue weight is too much at 35 MPH too.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Rand77 wrote:
My question is can I safely pull this camper with my 2011 Ford Expedition with a 5.4 V8?

As long as you don't go over 35 MPH.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Expy also with max tow package. No way would I want to try to pull that TT. I am at the limits with what I have now and I know I would be more comfortable in a 3/4 ton SUV like a Excursion or 2500 Suburban ... those may not even be enough for that TT. Just my opinion.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Expys and would love to get a Eco boost version. I wouldn't go over a dry weight of 5500-6000 lbs and a gross of 7000 lb due to the tongue weight restrictions.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Expy EL with a 26-foot TT that weighs a verified 6,000 configured for camping. No way I'd go with the shorter Expy with a longer TT that weighs a minimum of 1,000 (but more likely 2,000) lbs heavier.

Your TT is definitely a job for a 2500 Suburban, Excursion, or a 3/4 ton PU.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned a Ford Expedition before I am with all the others. Way to much trailer for your TV.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said.... Short answer is ... No

Here's a little indoctrination on tow vehicles and travel trailers.

Tow vehicle's have multiple ratings involved with towing and their max towing capacity is limited to the weakest link. Normally, that weak link is payload.

GVWR ... Gross vehicle weight rating (max weight of the vehicle itself, along with driver, passengers, cargo in or on the vehicle, weight distributing hitch, and trailer tongue weight)

GCVWR ... Gross combined vehicle weight rating (max weight of vehicl and trailer combined)

Front and rear axle weight ratings ... Max weight on front or rear axle

Hitch receiver rating ... Max weight with and without weight distributing hitch. What the hitch receiver is rated carry. This is doesn't always correspond with the other weight ratings. It may be higher or lower than some of the others.

Payload (AKA max occupant / cargo weight) rating... The difference between the vehicle's actual weight, and it's GVWR. Capacity to carry everything and everybody in or on the vehicle. This info is normally on a sticker or decal, on the drivers door post.

It's not uncommon for SUV's to be in the area of 1200 lbs available payload. Frequently, they also have passenger rated tires, which have softer sidewalls, than an LT tire. Softer sidewalls lead to sidewall flexing and can cause trailer sway.

Max tow rating ... What the manufacturer says the vehicle could tow. This number does not allow for any aftermarket accessory, passenger or cargo weight. As those things are being added to the vehicle, its available payload and tow capacity are going down, pound for pound.

If you have a vehicle with 1500 lb available payload / 9000 lb tow capacity and you add 700 lbs of people and cargo, it's available payload and tow capacity become 800 / 8300 lbs.

Average camping load (dishes, pots and pans, groceries, camp chairs, bedding, BBQ, tools, spare parts, water, etc) is 800 - 1000 lbs. Larger trailers, may have more. Your 7000 lb trailer will easily pass 8000 lbs, when ready to go camping.

Travel trailer's tongue weights are on average 12 - 13 percent of the loaded trailer weight. Weight distributing hitches, weigh 80 - 100 lbs, and count against your payload, along with the tongue weight. Your 8000+ lb trailer will need up to 1200 lbs of available payload. Possibly more.

Whatever vehicle you select, will need capacity to carry combined weight of any aftermarket accessories (cargo carrier, bed cap, etc) added to the vehicle, any cargo in or on the vehicle, your family, and 12 - 1300 lbs of trailer / hitch weight. Towing at or above the vehicles ratings, can be very unpleasant. Leave yourself some cushion.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the best towing package on your Expy, your tow rating is near 9000 pounds and at best 950 pounds of TW. At 7000 pounds dry, you'll be closer to 8000 pounds dry and I think over 1000 pounds of TW. If you have the regular wheelbase, then you'd want a premium WDH. I say no way. That's pushing the limits of my 3/4 ton.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

deshemar
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer of No, I would agree.

If you have the max tow rating for your Expy and keep trailer weight to only 8,000 it will tow but it will most likely be a horrible experience, especially with sway.

I towed a 9,000 pound, probably real world weight for your trailer loaded up, with a xcab f150 and it hated it, and they are more equipped for towing, especially payload on rear axle, than the Expy. Went to an xcab F-250 with V10 and was night and day. Towed it once with a friends 5.4 F-250 Crew Cab and it did okay especially around stability, but the engine was working hard.
From a safety stand point I would expect the Expy to come up short.
unfortunately RV-less for now, will be back to the fun in a few years!!!

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Short answer...no...
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
This should help.

Tells you everything you need to know.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!