cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater acting up

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
Normally I hit the water heater switch to turn on and light the gas burner. Lately when I hit the switch it does not light, I have to turn it off then on again and it lights. What gives any suggestions on what to check would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Skipg
9 REPLIES 9

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I use a white pencil eraser.
I use silicone based electrical grease. Same as what is used on spark plug boots.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

quingus
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick question on cleaning the contacts. Did you use a steel brush, Emory cloth or the like and some dielectric grease for corrosion. Can you use the same red goop for battery terminals on those contacts. Sorry for the hijack.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I kept cleaning the contacts on my Atwood. Finally I found a big paper binder clip from Staples and use that to hold the electrical connectors tight.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the same intermittent problem with my 10gallon Suburban. My RV place checked out the circuit board (no cost to me) which is fine. Switch is fine as well so it's time to check contacts.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I soldered the electrical connectors going to the igniter and it works fine since. Did have a muddauber build a nest and had to be removed. Blowing cobwebs out of the gas venture helps also

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to check the igniter. Mine had eroded away and there was too big a gap. It was intermittent like yours. It is an easy replacement. $20 or so part cost as I recall.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Old_Teacher
Explorer
Explorer
Was having the same problem last week. Cleaned the contacts,fixed the problem.
Thanks,
Mike
Okay,jokes over.
Now bring back the Constitution.
Proud parent of a U.S. Soldier!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I started having trouble with the water heater last year, it would ignite some times and some times it would turn on and off with warm water.

I figured on researching prices for the various parts, and came up with $325 dollars for all the parts that I would eventually replace, Murphy's law, I would fix it at the last part, so I looked up a new unit $350 dollars I ordered the new unit, it even comes with the new door it took me longer to cut a bit around the opening than to take the old one out and install since they installed the unit before the wall was added, so the hole was from 1/4 inch to 1/8 smaller so out came the saber saw.

I no longer have the name of place where I got it, I found it on the internet, my old computer got breached and I lost all data that was in words, none of my Autocad drawings were lost.

Some times it is better to replace the whole unit, specially if it is an older one.

navegator

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Go to outside access door.
Locate the multi wire connector on the circuit board. Clean the contacts.
Another thing to check is the ground connection on the LP gas valve.
This guessing you have an Atwood!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker