cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Coleman Travel Trailer AC issue

Ddevilman
Explorer
Explorer
So we bought a Coleman trailer less than a month ago. Our 1st stay in it, and there was no air blowing out of the ac vents. Cold air was being pushed through the "cold air shower", but not through the vents at all. It was extremely hot in the trailer. After calling tech support and the dealer, neither of which had any answers or help, I started digging into the issue myself. I found that there was insulation tape cover the entrances to the ducts. Peeled it off, and immediately everything was working great.

I don't know if that is a standard thing for shipping new rvs, or if someone screwed up. Anyone else ever encountered this?
6 REPLIES 6

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
prichardson wrote:
Unfortunately poor installation is not that uncommon. On a unit I purchased last year (different manufacturer) I had to reseal all the register connections as they were all leaking into the attic area.
Same here. I re-sealed all the vents and it works waaay better. Part of the problem was the ceiling luan plywood was sagging so much that the vents weren't pushed into the duct. I had to use some long #6 screws into the rafters to pull the ceiling up enough.

Route_66_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is 2 years old with a 15k AC. It has never performed like I thought it should. By chance I found the video below. The divider in my AC was worse than the one in the video, plus the intake ducts had big gaps between the duct and roof, so a large percentage of cold air was going into the roof. After fixing the divider and leaks the improvement in my AC flow has been amazing. Today it hit 100 degrees here and the temp in the trailer was 74 degrees all day long.

Watch this:
AC Fix

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately poor installation is not that uncommon. On a unit I purchased last year (different manufacturer) I had to reseal all the register connections as they were all leaking into the attic area.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your lucky - my first TT was a Coleman, and the first night camping in the Florida summer, the AC shorted out and filled the TT with smoke. Turned out the installers just jammed wires into a ball and something shorted.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad