cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New fifth wheel drove home need to return to dealer

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
Bought fifth wheel at Campers Inn and was unaware there would be a problem with the height of the automatic jacks that sit under the Grand Design Reflection, also with the length of the tire to pin distance. Looking for information on New Hampshire laws that will help us in returning to Campers Inn. They said we could exchange for another trailer that would work for our yard which we found, shorter distance and higher jacks hoping to swap and get some money back. That surely was not the case. Much cheaper fifth wheel and they wanted us to give them 5000 more. Need to find some loop hole to try and not loose so much money on returning this fifth wheel. Any help?
44 REPLIES 44

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
All58Parks wrote:
I would look into getting an excavating company to regrade your yard. I had to do a little of this with my new TT to make it easier to park, since it was several feet longer than the old one. Didn't cost much at all. It doesn't seem likely that you'll run into much of a problem in campgrounds, unless you're planning to do some off-road boondocking.

x2

This is exactly what I would do.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be in a hurry to return something I liked just because of an issue at home. I would solve the home issue which may mean backing the wheels of the camper onto planks in order to raise it enough for the rear jacks and then use cement block or similar for the front. Send me a PM if you want and I can probably stop by and help you figure it out before you make a costly decision.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
How about a little land scaping? when we purchased our current 5th wheel we knew we had to have the pitch of our driveway lowered and had it done before we brought it home . Maybe the extra money the dealer wants could be spent correcting to area your trying to park the larger trailer in. Maybe a better option if you like the trailer that much?
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Moved from Forum Technical Support

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Let me suggest that before you turn it back in for another model that you visit the Grand Design owner's forum and solicit some advice on how to deal with the issue. Post it in the tech section and both forum members and Grand Design will try to help you with a solution. They are a very helpful group and many of the owners are engineers with years of manufacturing experience.

I own a Grand Design, and one of their key benefits is the superb customer service you can receive. Give their customer service line a call on Tuesday (after the holiday) and see if they have any suggestions on how proceed. Their number is 574-825-9679.

Just a thought... Grand Design just recently switch all their units to auto levelers. The older manual levelers provided much higher ground clearance. For the $5K loss you'd be taking, you could easily remove the auto leveling system and install the manual leveling system for much less money. And you might even be able to sell the automatic system and actually be ahead on the deal.

Grand Design Owner's Forum

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
Can you post a picture of the unit and truck together and apart so we can get an idea. Looking it up online he pictures seem to be normal of any other fifth wheel.

We have an issue with our fifth wheel of getting it up the driveway as he rear bumper hits and wants to drag. We just purchased a new house and well I measured to the frame and not bumper. Don't know why I did but eh my fault. So for the time being it is parked else where while we find a crew to come in and rear slop our driveway. Once that is done it would fit nicely up it.

We haven't had any issues with any campground since we purchased it in 2014. It's 40 feet so it's pretty good length. As for turning and backing into spots we haven't had one yet where we weren't able to get into.

i know in our state once the title has been assigned to an owner other than a dealer it's considered used. Can't be sold as new so your the next buyer can't take advantage of the same interests rates or financing specials that come with new units.

I would have to agree with the other posters of have a crew come in and level it our use the money they want to charge you for a nice storage spot.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
We have 6 total jacks, it is 22 feet from the pin the the first wheel. Our last trailer was 19 feet from the pin, we really didn't think it would make such a big difference. Thanks for the info!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
You need to elaborate. Height of automatic jacks??? Pin to tire distance???

X1, If I understand your problem, one solution is to adjust the 5th. wheel hitch to it's highest level and reverse the axles so they are located under the springs. Not a big deal and you might even ask the dealer to do it for you as a customer satisfaction effort.

+1

Plus a little back and forth practice should take care of the length problem.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
You need to elaborate. Height of automatic jacks??? Pin to tire distance???

X1, If I understand your problem, one solution is to adjust the 5th. wheel hitch to it's highest level and reverse the axles so they are located under the springs. Not a big deal and you might even ask the dealer to do it for you as a customer satisfaction effort.

thecdnmole
Explorer
Explorer
jackstrat wrote:
I should have added the jacks hit the ground when we are maneuvering the unit into the parking spot.

How about a picture showing this? Maybe they aren't retracting all the way? Go look at a similar trailer and see if it's the same. As other have suggested, modification is cheaper than trading. But, if the length is now a problem, guess you have no option than to sell and buy again.
2002 Titanium 29E35RL 5th, adopted Summer 2015
2015 Ram 2500, CC, SB, diesel, 9900 lb GVW

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen a 5th wheel where the jack clearance was only 6" when fully raised.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

All58Parks
Explorer
Explorer
I would look into getting an excavating company to regrade your yard. I had to do a little of this with my new TT to make it easier to park, since it was several feet longer than the old one. Didn't cost much at all. It doesn't seem likely that you'll run into much of a problem in campgrounds, unless you're planning to do some off-road boondocking.
2014 Wildcat Maxx 26bhs
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest removing the jacks and have something else fabricated. Make it your own now. Good luck.

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
I should have added the jacks hit the ground when we are maneuvering the unit into the parking spot.