cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Pin Box Selection

C130
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Fuzion 322 Touring Edition that I'm going to replace the stock model 1116 pin box. I've researched the top models (Trailair, 5th Airborne, Mor/ryde) and narrowed it down to the Trailair but Lippert has discontinued the Trailair Tri-Glide and replaced it with the Flex Air which I like even more. Problem is, Lippert doesn't currently make it for the 1116 yet.

Any opinions on other suggestions? I don't mind buying the Tri-Glide as they are still available online but they have not been marked down in price and I really don't want to pay full price for a discontinued mode. I called Lippert and they told me they'll eventually make the Flex Air for the 1116 but don't have any idea when that might happen. I am going on a long trip beginning of June and would like to improve the ride before I leave. Tow vehicle is a 2015 F450, trailer is level, but I want to improve the chucking and ride on our many concrete roads here in Texas. I know it won't completely eliminate all the bumps but I want an improvement.

I prefer both the vertical and longitudinal movement of the Trailair technology. Does the 5th Airborne provide this? I can find very little on the 5th Airborne as far as exactly what it does while the Trailair has numerous videos and information online. I guess what I'm asking is would most of you buy the discontinued Tr-Glide at full price, wait on the Flex Air with an undetermined production date, or choose another brand? I've been trying to find a used Tri-Glide but only found one and the guy won't go below $800 and for that price I'll buy a new one. It's got some rust and been sitting outside for the last 2-3 years so I just don't see giving $800 for that one.
11 REPLIES 11

C130
Explorer
Explorer
After waiting a couple of months to see what Lippert was going to do with the Tri-Glide replacement for the 1116 pin box I kept searching for used units, both hitches and pin boxes. I found a used Hensley TS3 in excellent condition and picked it up today. It was only about an hour and a half away and bought it from a full timer that just traded in his Mobile Suites to a new motor home. He and his wife were only in town for a couple more weeks so he wanted to get rid of it and think I got a great price, at least I'm happy with the price and hope he was also.

I do have a question or two, one being about the spacers it has on it. He had the hitch in a GMC DRW truck I believe and needed the spacers. If I don't need the spacers do I just take out the 3 bolts on each corner and take the spacer completely out? I just went out and looked it over as I'm unfamiliar with this hitch and wanted to make sure I do it correctly. My tow vehicle is a 2015 F450, can anyone here tell me if they needed the spacers or not on the same truck or similar Ford Super Duty?

C130
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I have a 16 MobileSuites being built right now and ordered the TriGlide. I hope the FlexAir is what comes on it!

I wish I could get the Flexair but that's not an option right now. I like the Flexair technology the best and don't really need one until June. Lippert told me they plan on making one that will fit the 1116 but don't know how long it will be and can't make any guarantees if it'll be done by June and my guess is it won't. I'm looking for a used Tri-Glide but the only one I've found the guy wants $800 for it and for that price I'd buy a new one. Trailer it's on also sits outside so to me it's not worth $800.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 16 MobileSuites being built right now and ordered the TriGlide. I hope the FlexAir is what comes on it!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

C130
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
C130 wrote:
I have but not sure they make one with for the Ford Factory 5th wheel prep package. I need to research that option more I guess.

I have the MorRyde hitch pin and a Hensley BD3 air hitch. They work fabulously together. My truck is a 2013 F350 with the Ford 5th wheel prep package. Hensley has the right adaptor for the hitch.

If it matters, the BD3 disassembles into 2 components (plus the adaptor) in case you don't want to leave it in the bed permanently. This hitch does not have a permanently installed air compressor - you just attach an air line to add air. I believe their TS3 model does come with a compressor, but you'd have to talk with Hensley (nice people) to make sure it works with the Ford prep kit.

Tim

Sounds like a very good combination. I like the fact that the BD3 comes apart and can be removed from the truck much easier. I don't take the hitch out of the truck that much but like the option.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
C130 wrote:
I have but not sure they make one with for the Ford Factory 5th wheel prep package. I need to research that option more I guess.

I have the MorRyde hitch pin and a Hensley BD3 air hitch. They work fabulously together. My truck is a 2013 F350 with the Ford 5th wheel prep package. Hensley has the right adaptor for the hitch.

If it matters, the BD3 disassembles into 2 components (plus the adaptor) in case you don't want to leave it in the bed permanently. This hitch does not have a permanently installed air compressor - you just attach an air line to add air. I believe their TS3 model does come with a compressor, but you'd have to talk with Hensley (nice people) to make sure it works with the Ford prep kit.

Tim

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Simple but effective, http://demco-products.com/rv-towing-products/glide-ride/

Same basic concept/design as the MorRyde.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to replace my 1116 with a MorRyde at some point. I like the simplicity of it and not having to deal with an air bag. To me the for/aft and side to side cushioning is more important. My TV with Bilsteins handle the up/down stuff just fine.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
C130 wrote:

No, I have not found one but Trailersaver makes a great adapter, I got one for my F350 that's on order so I can transfer my Airsafe out of the current 08 F450. The info on the website says 5K pin wt and 20K trailer wt but when it got here the labels on the adapter says 6250 pin wt and 26K trailer wt
Adapter

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Simple but effective, http://demco-products.com/rv-towing-products/glide-ride/
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

C130
Explorer
Explorer

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered an air ride hitch like Airsafe or Trailersaver? I know they are a lot more money but they can be transferred from tow vehicle to the next tow vehicle unlike a pinbox.