Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New proposed Gas tax

Llmk100
Explorer
Explorer
THIS WILL EFFECT ALL OF US.
Be advised, Senator Corker from Tennessee, and Senator Chris Murphy from Connecticut have proposed a new gas tax that will bring prices up 12 cents per gallon on gas and 24 cents on diesel fuel. I'm not sure what others will do about this but I for one will not travel to Tennessee or Connecticut for certain. I expect this kind of attack on the middle Class from Murphy, but not from a Republican who supposedly wants to lower the burden of taxes on the Middle Class. If this goes through, we should turn Tennessee and Connecticut into RV ghost towns.
53 REPLIES 53

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
You got to pay for the War spending. Taxes will be raised so that we can support the military complex. When you spend all your money on war you should expect taxes.

oh puh-leeze. :R. defense spending is about 19% of the federal budget (and not all of that is for war); social security, medicare/Medicaid take up 46% of the spending; interest on the debt consumes 6% while another 12% goes towards other safety net programs. lots of waste, fraud, inefficiency and corruption in all of the above. source
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
Federal fuel taxes haven't gone up in over 20 years. I'd say we're overdue. How else do you expect to pay for all of the roads, bridges and tunnels that we take for granted in the USA? Some people will complain about ANYTHING.

Absolutely. And as for driving through a state without buying any fuel, not a good idea. Truck drivers used to do that, but now they keep logs and if they don't buy fuel or enough to cover their mileage, they get to pay a penalty.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Llmk100
Explorer
Explorer
Federal fuel taxes haven't gone up in over 20 years. I'd say we're overdue. How else do you expect to pay for all of the roads, bridges and tunnels that we take for granted in the USA? Some people will complain about ANYTHING.

Be nice, don't be an angry liberal. Learn the whole story, actually think about it. We have paid to repair roads and bridges and such 100 times over, it is the theft and misuse of our tax dollars that causes the need for any additional taxes. What our politicians have done with waste and worse would make Bernie Madoff proud. When you look at the entire tax history over 20 years, the name of the tax, gas or otherwise becomes meaningless.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
there is no need to raise fuel taxes for road repairs....stop spending what they collect on welfare and other giveaways like foreign aide. Keep US oil here and regulate the price down and the economy will rebound but they want us all to be low income so they will have control. This is a pure political move nothing more.

Yup, plus block off the southern border where a ton of money is spent on the illegals.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
there is no need to raise fuel taxes for road repairs....stop spending what they collect on welfare and other giveaways like foreign aide. Keep US oil here and regulate the price down and the economy will rebound but they want us all to be low income so they will have control. This is a pure political move nothing more.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Llmk100
Explorer
Explorer
Always remember, when a politician says the tax will be for a limited time, think about all the other temporary taxes that have become increased and permanent. Original Mass state tax was 2 % and temporary! now 6% and permanent and rising.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Is this a state tax or Federal tax??
Why 12 cents on Gas and 24 cents on diesel, yea big rigs cause more damage to roads, but most only get 5 mpg!!
I think it is time to get the hybrids to pay their far share. Time to get rid of the per gallon tax and go to a by the mile tax!
From link provided "...U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., called for raising the tax 6 cents a year for two years and linking future fuel tax increases to inflation.

The gasoline tax is now 18.4 cents a gallon, and the diesel tax is 24.4 cents a gallon."
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Llmk100 wrote:
THIS WILL EFFECT ALL OF US.
Be advised, Senator Corker from Tennessee, and Senator Chris Murphy from Connecticut have proposed a new gas tax that will bring prices up 12 cents per gallon on gas and 24 cents on diesel fuel. I'm not sure what others will do about this but I for one will not travel to Tennessee or Connecticut for certain. I expect this kind of attack on the middle Class from Murphy, but not from a Republican who supposedly wants to lower the burden of taxes on the Middle Class. If this goes through, we should turn Tennessee and Connecticut into RV ghost towns.

I was going to make a political comment but I won't.

I will still drive through TN, but .. not stop for fuel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
In before the lock.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Llmk100
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam, like AAA and AARP and the rest is a business for profit only. To see these organizations as anything else other than a sales business is a mistake. They are not a not for profit charity looking out for us.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, Good Sam will not get involved in speaking up on behalf of us RVers...unfortunately!

Llmk100
Explorer
Explorer
Murphy is a Democrat, not a Republican I believe. Corker is a Republican from Tennessee . Makes more sense actually. Democrats seem to like to raise taxes.

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Write an e-mail to those senators, or call. I did yesterday. Murphy is a Republican from Ct. the other is a democrat. When will they think we are taxed enough. Only your votes and e-mail can stop this. My e-mail to Murphy said he was very busy and that it could take months for a reply. Guess so it will be law by the time he replies. He has lost my vote, but there retirement is so high he probably does not care either.
Sorry for the mistake Murphy is a Dem, the Tenn senator is Rep. I know that there would not be a Republican from Ct.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"