cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Ranger for towing

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using the new Ranger as a tow vehicle ? I am a bit disappointed that the factory tow package did not upgrade either the transmission cooler or radiator.

I'm thinking of a trailer with GVW of around 5,000 lbs. Maybe even a small 5th wheel. Probably 4 passengers and very little other cargo in the truck.
16 REPLIES 16

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
They're still making those scamps?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I... Maybe even a small 5th wheel.

I've never seen a 5th wheel that's small enough to be towed by a mid-sized truck in recent years.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-review-scamp-19-smallest-fifth-wheel/

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Ranger has a 6050 gvwr and the 2wd models have a 3500 rawr.
At 270 hp and 310 torque its better hp/torque numbers than 3/4 ton truck/small blocks I towed with in the past.

Many new F150 has 3300-3400 rawr and less rear axle payload than the Ranger.
Agree don't let the forums weight police scare you away from buying a Ranger...or any truck you want or need at this time.

Fleet Ford weight specs shows a base payload in the 1700-1800 lb range. We all know a highly optioned truck can have a bit less rear axle payload so choose the model best suits your needs.

Rangers like any 1/2 LDT with 3300-3500 rawr is better suited to pull a TT than a 5th wheel rv trailer.

https://uploads.documents.cimpress.io/v1/uploads/0bcc6707-6374-442e-9a15-7fc6513235b4~110/original?t...
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I... Maybe even a small 5th wheel.

I've never seen a 5th wheel that's small enough to be towed by a mid-sized truck in recent years.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
The Ranger is a very nice smaller truck. Much easier to park and operate in tighter spaces in town.

Have you seen them side by side? This isn't a 1980's ranger where it was drastically smaller.

The F150 (same cab/bed) is only 2" wider and just over a foot longer.

New trucks for a side by side comparison? Not at any local to me Ford dealer currently. Last time time I had services done on my truck the showroom was EMPTY!

Yes, they do look a lot bigger but I hadnโ€™t seen the measurements.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Is anyone using the new Ranger as a tow vehicle ? I am a bit disappointed that the factory tow package did not upgrade either the transmission cooler or radiator.

I'm thinking of a trailer with GVW of around 5,000 lbs. Maybe even a small 5th wheel. Probably 4 passengers and very little other cargo in the truck.

Don't let the weight cops dissuade you oldwiz!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boomerweps wrote:
The Ranger is a very nice smaller truck. Much easier to park and operate in tighter spaces in town.

Have you seen them side by side? This isn't a 1980's ranger where it was drastically smaller.

The F150 (same cab/bed) is only 2" wider and just over a foot longer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Tow rated at 7000# WITH NO WDH, according to Ford.
Ranger pricing isnโ€™t that far off from an F150.
Adding the fifth wheel comments can be from a lack of research but, to me, is almost trolling ??
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
MNRon wrote:
Not many 5ers can realistically be pulled with an F150-class, can't imagine any that a Ranger-class TV would work with...

Maybe something like the Scamp line but really 5ers don't make a lot of sense unless you go big.

You lose much of the truck bed storage to the 5er hitch. With a big 5er, that's offset by the big underbelly storage. But the really small 5ers generally don't have a lot of storage to negate the loss of the truck bed. A similar size bumper pull has as much storage and you get full use of the truck bed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Not many 5ers can realistically be pulled with an F150-class, can't imagine any that a Ranger-class TV would work with...
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While the new Ranger is larger, more powerful, than the earlier models, I have to agree with others, the 150 being a much better choice. For price dif, gas mileage dif, comparing true tow capability, such as a TT, small FW, the Ranger has little to offer.

They are nice looking though! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Do you already have the Ranger? Payload and rear axle ratings will be exceeded well under tow rating. It should be fine for about 4000 pound dry TT. I cannot think of any 5th wheel that would support a 200 pound receiver in the bed and even modest 15% pin weight.

Power from the Ecoboost should be fine.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why are you looking at a Ranger? Really hardly any smaller than an F150 and you can spec an F150 with much better payload and towing options.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fuel millage difference between an F150 and a Ranger is negligible. More room in an F150 too.