cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New tires today

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Put new shoes on the trailer today. I took along a neighbor friend who is familiar with towing but has never experienced how my truck pulls my unit. Old tires were Akuret brand load C rated. New are Carlisle Radial Trail HD, load D rated. Trailer is maybe 6500 lbs. On the way home I commented on how much more stable the trailer felt and my neighbor spoke up and told me he didn't want to say anything on the way there but he thought the truck felt a bit squirrely in the rear. With the new tires he said he could feel a definite difference. Truck has LT's on it so it was not the truck's tires. Its amazing how much difference the tires made in the stability. So far I am happy with the Carlisles, all 45 miles worth lol. We shall see how they perform on a longer trip later in the spring time.
10 REPLIES 10

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Carlisle RH production date per Carlisle;
*Launched in early 2013, the Carlisle Radial Trail RH Radial Trailer Tire for Toy Haulers, Boat Trailers, Cargo Trailers, Utility Trailers, Stock Trailers and other towable applications. The new and improved second generation Radial Trail RH combines two new Carlisle technologies.*

and the HD just came out in the summer of 2016.
The RH were a vast improvement over previous Carlisle tires....however some users had issues with them which is one big reason Carlisle came out with the new HD that replaces the RH tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the new HDs as well last summer. My China bombs didn't even last three years. I didn't notice a change in how it pulls as I have a solid setup already. But I'm no longer afraid of popping a tire. The old ones wore off center, hopefully it was the tires, I'll find out this year how these wear. I have About 3,000 miles on them and they still look new.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It's the same feeling I got going from China tires to my Hankooks.

Hankook is a South Korean company with three factories in China...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
These new Carlisles (since about 2011-12) have really been doing well and receiving mucho kudos. About the only time you ever see a negative thing about them is when someone who had them back when the Mayflower sailed and hasn't yet tried the new ones chimes in about "I remember back when bull" on a subject and tire that no longer even applies!

I had outstanding service from mine and hope the same for you!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer stability will make a long day towing less tiring. It's the same feeling I got going from China tires to my Hankooks. Glad you found what your trailer needed.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased Carlisles a couple of years ago and am impressed at how much better the trailer seems to track than with the old tires. They're the RH, before the HD were released.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The New Carlisle HD has lost that basketball shaped sidewall/narrow tread design which was supposed to give a trailer a smoother ride.
Looking at the new HD shows a flatter sidewall much like a LT or truck tire or the new gen all steel carcass commercial class ST G tires.
The HD should make a much more reliable/longer lasting tire at any legal highway speeds.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear. I have a set of Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires waitingvto go on my trailer before our next trip.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I recently took a 1 yr old set of chinese radials off the tt,( or what was left of them ) and replaced with Maxxis. Replaced the worn out tires on my 14' enclosed cargo trailer with carlisles. I've read nothing but good things about both. Probably have 3000 miles on the carlisles, still look new, and about 3000 miles on the Maxxis, still look new.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the review Ken! It is good to know that both you and your friend could notice the difference with the new Carlisle tires. It seems most users are having a positive experience with these tires.

Jerry