cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to boat trailers … need some help

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
Apologies in advance for all the questions … hope this the correct forum … been reading everything about boat trailers & need some expert advice.

Got a new Pontoon last week - weighs in (CAT Scale) at 5,760 with a near empty 50 gal gas tank; so I'm thinking 6,200 is a good loaded baseline weight.

I am towing throughout the inter mountain west, up & down 6-8% grades; 60% interstate, 40% state 2-lane highways. I tow at 60 mph. My 2015 Chevy 3500HD crew cab 4x4 gasser is pulling truck, camper, & boat just fine at a 16,800 GCVW; albeit at 8.1 mpg ;).

The trailer from the dealer is a tritoon 27' and configured with:
- dual axles rated 7000# (3500# each axle)
- aluminum wheels (can't find a rating stamp)
- ST205 14 "C" load tires (2-ply rated 1,317#)
- surge braking
- 7" drum brakes on one axle ... sigh ...
- single leaf springs on each wheel with the equalizer thingy

Need some advice:
1) axles at 7000# seems sufficient
2) Planning on changing wheels to 2200# rated mag wheels; should I consider larger than 14"?
3) The trailer guys can put 4-ply "C" load rated at 1980 lbs & tell me this is good enough; should I listen to them?
4) I want to use the built-in brake controller & ABS safety features of the truck ... & really don't like surge anyway, so, it's electric versus EOH; trailer guys say electric is just fine; champion trailer & west marine web sites seem to lean to EOH; suggestions?
5) The tow truck has 14" brakes and adding 7" brakes to the second trailer axle "seems" to be enough; do I need to consider moving to 10" brakes?
6) Drum versus disc - a bit of a toss up on web sites, with disc being a bit more popular for the weight & maintenance considerations; suggestions?
7) Last weekend on a "break in" 500 mile trip, the boat really bounced around (no sway though) on the less smooth 2-lane roads. Do I need to add a spring (or two) to each wheel?

Thanks some more for any advice or suggestions - I really do want to get this done safely & as right as possible - cheers!

p.s. I did flip the hitch ball so the trailer now is way more level than in this picture …

2013 Capri Sportsman Grande
2015 Chevy Crew cab 3500HD SWD gasser
Toyo Open Ctry ATII 275 70R/18
10150# loaded; 10.5 mpg @ 70mph
23 REPLIES 23

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I would just keep the surge and change over to 4 wheel disc. I can't even tell my boat is behind me in a stop. IMO you are looking for trouble having electrics repeatedly dunked. IMO the surge brakes are more reliable and consistent the only down fall (which you won't have a problem with) is they don't work in reverse. I've seen people putting big bass boats in with little cars and SUVs get dragged backwards down a steep slick ramp. I would leave the tires alone for now. You have plenty of capacity for your boat weight.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I think if you add brakes to the 2nd axle, the smaller brakes will probably be sufficient. Especially if you move to EOH (they are less likely to overheat the brakes because they don't drag going down hills like surge brakes often do).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Brakes on one axle only?
Your trailer is not legal in Montana! (MCA 61-9-304)

I have never used HANKOOK tires, but I have had good luck with Kumho and Cooper.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigimac wrote:
thx bob, I've run Han****s on an SUV - good tires. Putting D's on would for sure help my "side wall" worries.

Dang chickens hit again ( C o C k s )

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
I will address 2 things. First not all C and D rated tires are equal. Look carefully at what is stamped in the tire. The load can vary quite a bit.
Second I don't know what you've been looking at that drum and disc are a toss up. IT AIN'T EVEN CLOSE. I've been pulling big boats, little boats, and medium size boats for 40 years and drum brakes don't hold a candle to disc. My current boat and the one previous both had disc. I no longer feel the need for electric brakes the disc surge brakes work so good. I'd never go back.

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
thx bob, I've run Han****s on an SUV - good tires. Putting D's on would for sure help my "side wall" worries.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 27' JC Evolution tri-toon with 14" rims. I had Kumho 195R70/14 "D" rated tires with dual axle disk brakes(surge). Pulled with a 2500HD without a problem. Don't think I would go bigger tires due to clearance issues but would recommend A "D" rated tire. Hankook radial RA08 in the 195R70/14 "D" rated woud also work. They both require 65lb psi. I would at least go to the higher rated "C" tire.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
titan has eoh for that trailer taller tires means you need deeper water to get into to launch.

thx - hadn't thought about launching - good one

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
titan has eoh for that trailer taller tires means you need deeper water to get into to launch.