cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Trailer - F150 Ecoboost Towable?

mikenannie
Explorer
Explorer
We just made a verbal confirmation to buy a new Sunset Trail, Grand Reserve, SS26SI trailer. I want to get some feedback on our truck / camper combo.

Our tow vehicle.

We have a 2012 Ford F150, XLT, Super-Crew, Ecoboost and the Max Tow package. The door sticker shows we have 1788 lb payload. GCWR 17,100, and max trailer weight is 11,200 lbs. It's just me and my wife, so our weight is about 450 lbs. We normally carry 2 bicycles, a portable grill, box of tools, 2 zero gravity chairs, and a case of water in the bed.

Our New Trailer

Overall length 30'. GVWR 7600 lbs. (dry 5986). Tongue wt: 740 lbs

Our current trailer. (2013 Sunset Trail Reserve, ST20CK)

Overall length is about 24'. GVWR 5500 lbs.

We currently use a weight distribution hitch and have never had any issues. However, this new trailer is considerably heavier, and about 6 feet longer. So I'm wondering -

1. Is this a safe load?
2. How much difference will I notice behind the wheel?

Thanks... Mike
17 REPLIES 17

dougk53
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 7700# 31Ft. OA Length TT with a loaded tongue of 850#. Truck is a 2014 same specs but with 50# less payload then you have. Your tongue weight will probably reach about 950#. You will have about 800# payload left after hooking up. Negate the weight of the hitch on payload as you will easily transfer that weight back to the TT axles. That tongue weight will still be on the hitch but you are plenty good there. Water tank on the Grand reserve is under bedroom behind compartment so all that weight will not be exclusively on the tongue. Also your black tank is back by the rear axle and appears to have the kitchen sink empty into it with the shower and bath sink emptying into the grey tank which is further rearward. I am surmising this looking at photos of the sewer lines and the water connections. Point being you will have great flexibility balancing the TT weight because of this.
Our Eco handles the TT better than our old 2500, 6.0 Liter did handling and powerwise remembering previous truck was a 2000 Sierra.
You will need 1200# bars in my estimation.
In summary considering you are not new to towing in my estimation based on my experience you will be more than adequate.
Remember what you paid for this advise and that may also be what it is worth.
Good Luck.

Doug
2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4 Hemi
2015 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2005 Road King
Doug,Virginia
5 Grandkids, Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori,Jocelyn
Furkids, Buster,Samantha

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
You're fine. Have fun with the new camper!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mikenannie wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Off topic...sorry, but make sure you can access the bathroom with the slide in.....if that is a concern.

Interesting, hadn't thought about that.

Bathroom cannot be accessed with slides in. That is a deal breaker for me. No need to worry about weights
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
We carried only a few gallons of water for a quick bathroom break if needed, and had a very comfortable and smooth ride !

Empty versus full tanks makes a big difference.

ckemp
Explorer
Explorer
tomkaren13 wrote:
What I would say it is close to over comfortable weight in my opinion. Just watch how full the tanks are. water can add weight quickly.

I'd watch your numbers closely. How much water you carry can make a big difference. I mostly dry camp, so not filling the fresh water tank is not an option for me. My trailer is a bit lighter, but when I had my F150 close to within 150 pounds of is listed capacity I could really feel it. The truck had plenty of power but the light weight truck and trailer were blown allover the road by anything that passed. I do think a better WDH may have helped, but my kids aren't getting any smaller and needed to fully load the truck and TT, so I move up to a 3/4 ton. Towing is mow must safer and more enjoyable for me. just something to think about. Have fun and be safe.
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
Passport 2400BHWE

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with a very similar combo for four years without issue. We carried only a few gallons of water for a quick bathroom break if needed, and had a very comfortable and smooth ride !

With your WDH, and your described setup, you will be good to go !

Enjoy your new TT !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
What I would say it is close to over comfortable weight in my opinion. Just watch how full the tanks are. water can add weight quickly.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a bit lighter and very comfortable with my setup. I'm guessing you will be on the happy side of marginal. You will recognize that you are near the limit. Not with the engine, but with the rest of the experience.

We don't load our bed with any weight, only larger light stuff like the blue tote, etc.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch and go. Watch you trucks load and you should be golden.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
For towing, IMHO you are good to go.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
mikenannie wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Off topic...sorry, but make sure you can access the bathroom with the slide in.....if that is a concern.

Well, it can be a deal breaker. If you pull in to have a snack or to use the bathroom and have a rest, it's nice not to have to put out slides. Certainly in mine the slide seals only work when the unit is fully out, or fully in, and in between the weather and bugs get full access.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Store as much as possible in the trailer to minimize truck payload.

mikenannie
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro