cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New trailer salt corrosion.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I've purchased a 2018 Jayco that was brought down from Indiana while the entire east coast was under heavy snow. It clearly took on heavy salt build up along the way. Although it was been washed several times. I have lots of scews/bolts that have already broke. Most are still white with salt damage. I've already replaced the fuel station nozzle and switch due to the salt locking it up. Yes it was under warranty but only cost me $30 and was cheaper than taking it back. All this before making the first payment.

I've been around the block enough I know my dealer won't/can't do much about it but is there anything I can spray down there to slow down the damage ? The camper is great but the underside looks worse than the 4 year old Jayco I just sold.

Lesson learned, I'll never buy new in the winter again.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion
32 REPLIES 32

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably too late now, but in the future, as soon as you can after exposure to salt, try "Salt Away", its a product that boaters use. I used to flush my motors with it and I would hose down the trailer and hull after saltwater use. It might help rinse it off.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My trailer is doing the same thing. Had to tow it through a salted snow mixture (bring it home from the factory for repairs) and now the frame is rusting everywhere. At least I assume there was salt in it because of how bad it's rusting.
I'm a fan of Rustoleum spray paint but this rust is too heavy for it IMHO.
Not sure if I'll try to fix it but if I do, I'll clean it up as best I can and use POR15 on it.
That stuff is amazing - it will stop the rust and leave a nice finish.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with Rust-Oleum rust reformer spray... Turns rust into a flat black surface, then paint with your choice of top coat... For the frame and underbody stuff.

Wheel wells painted with Rust-Oleum converter and then truck bed coating.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed