cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Weight Distribution Hitch/Sway bars

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
We are probably going to need to purchase a new weight distribution hitch/sway bar system for our travel trailer. While at a Cracker Barrel, someone stole one of our sway bars (believe it or not!!!) We have been trying to find a replacement for it, but have had no luck...it was a pretty old system. If we can't find two replacement bars, what would be suggested for a new system. Hitch receiver on our Dodge Ram truck is 1000lb for WD Hitch.

Travel trailer is a Keystone Cougar 302RLS, loaded 9705lbs capacity, haven't weighed in a while so don't know if we are at that....don't think so. Last time we weighed, we were below that.
Anybody heard or used the SwayPro from Blue Ox?

Thanks a bunch.
Retired Full-Time Army National Guard

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
2008 30 ft Keystone Cougar
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars
"Loving every minute of Full-timing"
God is good, all the time......all the time, God is good!

25 REPLIES 25

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Mark and Linda wrote:
I got to comment on one point that was mentioned. Why would someone steal another person's sway bar? Just not in our creed to do that to someone.....

They sell it at the scrap yard for 8 cents / pound. For some, there is nothing that they won't do.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Airstreamer67 wrote:
Some folks will steal anything that's not locked down. Snip..
Human nature can be nasty at times.

Amen! Someone stole my two drivers side hubcaps (center caps) yesterday while parked in the local Sams Club parking lot during shopping trip. :M
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks will steal anything that's not locked down. Some others will steal the locked stuff too. And if they don't want anything in particular at the time, they occasionally will just unhook your rig and watch you drive off in danger.

Human nature can be nasty at times.

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, Mark and Linda!!! That was our feeling... Why in the world! Don't know if it was just mischief or what!

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I got to comment on one point that was mentioned. Why would someone steal another person's sway bar? Just not in our creed to do that to someone.....
Mark

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
If just a sway bar (not a spring bar) then I would just go to harbor freight and buy a $30.00 sway bar.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Another satisfied user here of the BlueOx swaypro.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
I totally understand the OP's frustration with finding replacement bars. I had to return both the head and bars (round) to Reese when the head cracked. Having another head laying around, I spent many frustrating days searching for a pair of 1000# round bars. Nothing, nada, no longer made!!! New design would not fit the old head. Finally found a complete set up, lightly used, and all is well now.

Want to know how old the "OLD" setup was???? New in 2004, now that's not a very old system in anybody's way of thinking.

Glad to hear that the OP has gotten this taken care of and can get on the road again.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
It is an older system... We tried finding arm. Could not find one anywhere... Looked through every book. We were able to just have to get the distribution hitch (Reese) with 1200lb bars since we were able to use the dual cam that was still bolted on the camper. Hope this makes sense. Poor guy at dealer called everywhere he knew. We are satisfied with what we have done. If we had needed to get entire system, think we would have gone with the Blue Ox. But since we have already put bunches of money into other needed repairs this past year, we are good! Thanks for all the help!

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
unless it is a very old system, you can buy one arm for replacement. sold many of them at our dealership here.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a Blue Ox Sway Pro for 8 years and two trailers. I'd buy another.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
campgrandma wrote:
Would this mean that we have too much trailer??? Or just over loaded

Just at the top end, or slightly over, the OEM receiver. Plenty of truck.

I would get a 1,200/12000 WDH hitch, I like the equal-i-zer, and when you can maybe think about a stronger receiver.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2002_Dodge_Ram+Pickup.htm?style=2500+and+3500+Series+with+8+Foot+Bed&furl=-hs-2_Inch_Hitch-pt-Class_V
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
Would this mean that we have too much trailer??? Or just over loaded

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Reese Straight Line dual cam with 1,200 lb bars.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers