cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK, Washer and Dryer in your RV...Do you use them?

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
So most New and roomier Rv's come with a Washer and Dryer or the option.
Did your RV come with a Washer and Dryer and are you actually using it?
Who here uses ther W/D in the RV and Who here just uses the CG laundromat?
Hey, like always, thanks for sharing.
62 REPLIES 62

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Chainwright wrote:
Did your RV come with a Washer and Dryer and are you actually using it?

Yes and Yes. The way we use our motor coach makes our W/D one of the more appreciated appliances.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
My wife wants more storage room so we do without a W/D, we instead spend 30/40 dollars every two weeks to go do laundry at a laundromat. I would prefer a W/D!
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
You know what cured me of wanting a washer and dryer on board? When we were new at this with our new Dynasty, even though we had our own stackable, we used the RV parks laundry room. Not sure why we did that but we did.

Our brand new towels were bleach spotted from the laundry room washer. Apparently, someone sabotaged the washer with bleach? Anyway, I'm still using those towels at home even though it happened in 2007... LOL!

Would not want to be without a washer and dryer in the motorhome.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Ours came with the combo. I use it everyday, can't handle the load used in a dedicated washing machine but then again I don't have much to wash. Love it, hate public wash/dry facilities.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
DSDP Don wrote:
If I read a post, I read every response, no matter how many pages. This way, if I respond, I don't duplicate an already posted response. As I read through this post, I kept a mental note of who responded since this question comes up about every three months or so.

If you go back at look at all the responses, you'll find that those who say they don't need or want one, don't have one or a large enough coach to fit one in. So their view/opinion is kind of limited to them criticizing something they don't/can't have.

A few, who have room for the older all in one units (you can tell this by the year of their coach) say they would rather have the cabinet space. Well I had one of those coaches, 2005 Diplomat. It came with room for an all in one unit, but we elected never to install one. My primary reason was the trade off between an all in one versus doing laundry at the campground was about the same. They were just not that useful, but many full timers found them better than campground laundries.

When we bought our new coach, a stacked washer and dryer was a must. Even on short trips it comes in handy. We often camp with our young grandkids, who have accidents and often will run their bedding through our machines. On several occasions, we've helped friends who were stuck and need to do laundry.

The moral of my post, hard to accept the opinion of someone who doesn't have a washer/dryer or the room for one.......kind of human nature!

I don't think any of that makes another's opinion unacceptable. Obviously, you wanted/needed a W/D when you bought this new coach, so you bought a coach with room for it. I have no want or need for a W/D so I bought an RV without room for one. I have a W/D at home, so I know what it can do and when it would be useful. I have yet to need that while I'm camping so why would I buy a rig that will fit one? If I were fulltiming or traveling for months at a time, many of my choices for a desirable rig would be different than what I chose.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Splendide combo is the #2 most useful appliance behind the Igloo counter-top ice maker. Beats mingling with the seasonals at the coin op and their presumptive ownership of all campground facilities.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We have a stacked washer/dryer and use it all the time. We have a class A, which we live in for 6-7 months per year. 4 months in one spot and 2 months traveling.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
In the Class A board you may be, but in General RV, you are talking to people with all sorts of RVs.

If your posts "cater" to class A owners, then you might want to post on the class A board so that we peons don't get in your way.

LOL. No no you don't get in my way. I originally said Roomier RV's, I didn't know I had to qualify that further. But now I know. I welcome input from everybody. Like I said, Rommier: TT's over 30 ft. Fivers over 35 feet. Class C over 31 feet too. But I'd think that the Gentleman with a pop up or a tent would abstain from partaking, but if he feels compelled to answer he is still welcome. Roomier is usually 30 or 32+ and above. So if you are in the 19 to 23 ft category maybe, just maybe, the more "Roomier" concept does not apply to you.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If I read a post, I read every response, no matter how many pages. This way, if I respond, I don't duplicate an already posted response. As I read through this post, I kept a mental note of who responded since this question comes up about every three months or so.

If you go back at look at all the responses, you'll find that those who say they don't need or want one, don't have one or a large enough coach to fit one in. So their view/opinion is kind of limited to them criticizing something they don't/can't have.

A few, who have room for the older all in one units (you can tell this by the year of their coach) say they would rather have the cabinet space. Well I had one of those coaches, 2005 Diplomat. It came with room for an all in one unit, but we elected never to install one. My primary reason was the trade off between an all in one versus doing laundry at the campground was about the same. They were just not that useful, but many full timers found them better than campground laundries.

When we bought our new coach, a stacked washer and dryer was a must. Even on short trips it comes in handy. We often camp with our young grandkids, who have accidents and often will run their bedding through our machines. On several occasions, we've helped friends who were stuck and need to do laundry.

The moral of my post, hard to accept the opinion of someone who doesn't have a washer/dryer or the room for one.......kind of human nature!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Huge 5th wheels, toy haulers and trailers seem to be the norm over the last couple years.

Perhaps where you are but certainly not here in Ontario ... walk around any campground and the majority are TTs, a few hybrids, in the 19' to 23' class. My local Coachmen dealer can't keep enough in stock but as well as giving up entirely on popups he's also given up on 5ths as they just don't sell in sufficient quantity to make it worth the effort. Really, does anyone need a washer & dryer for weekend recreational camping? :R

Well that clarifies it. I prefer Big Rv's 36 to 45. My circuit that I stick to is from south Texas to as far north as St George UT and then I work my way back down to the golf cost 'til I get to Key west. We love the warm weather, so you will never ever see us in washington, Montana or Canada for that matter. I'm retired Military so my preference is staying on military Bases, when we venture out we look for Class A CG only, We don't mind staying at a "Mixed" CG but it's not our 1st choice. I hate Riff Raff and there seems to be more of it in "mixed" CG's. Sorry. To each their own, I have to many War related issues that kind of sap me of patience and tolerance nowadays. BTW, I served with a group of canadians in Afghanistan. Very nice people, classy bunch.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the Class A board you may be, but in General RV, you are talking to people with all sorts of RVs.

If your posts "cater" to class A owners, then you might want to post on the class A board so that we peons don't get in your way.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
So most New and roomier Rv's come with a Washer and Dryer or the option.

"Most"? Hardly, more like "a few". For those who full time or head out for an extended period I can see the advantage but for the vast majority for whom this sport is recreational camping for a few days or even a couple of weeks a W&D is IMO only further complication one doesn't need. Thankfully manufacturers recognize this and restrict washers & dryers to just a few select models.

LOL. when was the last time you did an extended research on RV's? when I get on here I am mostly talking to Class A owners. I don't mind if 5'rs chip in. I welcome the participation of big TT owners. But I mostly "cater" to Class A's. I guarantee you that Since 2014 models with W/D have become more copious.

MrWizard
this RV , had a combo washer/dryer as an option
the OP did not purchase them, and the space was used for drawers

drawers we were happy too have, but Dec 2016, we bought a Panda brand portable washer with spin dry that does a really good job

and have been very happy with it

running a couple of small loads, prevents large piles of dirty laundry
great for clothes or towels etc.

sheets and blankets etc.. get the laundromat treatment, but we don't go as often,

we went from NO i don't want that
to..yes we would use that

will be taking it along to the next RV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have one in my class C, and wouldn't really have room for anything more than a tiny portable model that could fit in a storage compartment and a clothesline or clothes rack.

On a ten week trip a little earlier this year with my mom, we used coin laundries and, at least for us, did not find it overly much of a hassle. We also rarely stayed with full hookups, and frequently without any hookups, so had there been a unit in the RV it would have been hard to use given the tank sizes etc.

Personally, I would generally prefer to use laundromats and have the space and weight available for other things in the RV, even if it's only more elbow room in the living areas. (For similar reasons, I'm glad to have a relatively small shower and bathroom and larger kitchen and living areas. I spend more time cooking and eating and living than I do keeping up with personal hygiene.)

On the other hand, I hope and expect that people who have RVs with laundry equipment would like and use them; otherwise, why bother getting one so equipped?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think the difference in wanting-having-needing a washer/dryer is the length of stay in your camper. The shorter the stay, the less you really need one inside the camper, when you are always returning home after a day or two.

Longer trips, in excess of 2 weeks to 30 years is another matter. It's all a matter of your own convenience (and how many quarters you can acquire between wash days, and how much time you don't mind waiting in a laundry mat - campground or other.)