cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinion needed if you've owned a TT and a FW

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
If you've owned a FW and a TT which one do you like better and why? In your opinion is one easier then the other to back up and hook up.
72 REPLIES 72

Weeluvdis
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
Weeluvdis wrote:
If you've owned a FW and a TT which one do you like better and why? In your opinion is one easier then the other to back up and hook up.

We have had 3 TT and are on our 2nd 5er. You will get less weave out of the 5er and with the hitch being over the rear instead out from the back your pivot point is further ahead. If you have never pulled a 5er,soon as you get used to it you will wonder why you didn't do it before. You can put a 5er in some places hyou might not be able to get a TT just because of the about of pivot you have. Personally, I will never go back to a TT. Good Luck in your search and Happy Camping.

Thanks for this info. It's what I was looking for and why I asked opinions from people that owned both. We are definitely looking to trade but have to see how much we will lose. I look forward to travel to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park with a FW. I don't want to go there with the TT.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
I gather from all I read in the forums that TTs and 5'ers with built-in generators, and built-in fuel tanks for them (other than propane) ... are unusual.

Hauling fuel (other than propane) around in a tank in a detached towable would make me "nervous", but of course it is done and gotten away with.

We really enjoy our built-in Onan fed from the main 55 gallon chassis gas tank. ๐Ÿ™‚

Most toy haulers have a fuel tank so you can fill up the toys!
I would worry about having 55 gal of gas in my truck, 55 gal of diesel a bit sleep as it has a higher flash point.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Weeluvdis wrote:

We have had 3 TT and are on our 2nd 5er. You will get less weave out of the 5er and with the hitch being over the rear instead out from the back your pivot point is further ahead. If you have never pulled a 5er,soon as you get used to it you will wonder why you didn't do it before. You can put a 5er in some places hyou might not be able to get a TT just because of the about of pivot you have. Personally, I will never go back to a TT. Good Luck in your search and Happy Camping.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gather from all I read in the forums that TTs and 5'ers with built-in generators, and built-in fuel tanks for them (other than propane) ... are unusual.

Hauling fuel (other than propane) around in a tank in a detached towable would make me "nervous", but of course it is done and gotten away with.

We really enjoy our built-in Onan fed from the main 55 gallon chassis gas tank. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
The main problem with TTs and FWs ... that motorhomes solve, is where and how do you carry enough fuel in the RV for a built-in generator for use during warm weather drycamping?

Propane is not very good - it's used up too fast running a built-in generator. Diesel is not very good - it's smelly/oily, and diesel built-in generators are often too loud and are heavy. Gasoline can be dangerous to carry around in large enough built-in tanks on TTs and FWs for built-in gas generators to be useful.

Carrying a generator and fuel in the TV is about the only choice, but then you lose A/C in the RV if someone stays behind in warm weather, or if this isn't the case, the RV can warm up to very high hard-to-lower-later interior temperatures while everyone is gone in the TV.

:h
My 5er and all of my TT's (except the seasonal) have built in fuel tanks and Onan generators.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own both a 35' 5er and several TT's from 17' to 35'. People have already covered towing well. I will cover use. If you stay in RV parks a 5er is fine. Where a small TT shines is the older small tight campgrounds and forest. I don't like the 5er bedroom as much as my seasonal TT. The 5er bedroom has lower ceilings 72" compared to 87" in my TT. Towing I like the 5er, Living in I like the TT. Both have +/-, you have to decide what works best for you and where you camp. Very few high end TT made and tend to be entry to mid level, lots of choices for high end 5er's from entry to high end.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The main problem with TTs and FWs ... that motorhomes solve, is where and how do you carry enough fuel in the RV for a built-in generator for use during warm weather drycamping?

Propane is not very good - it's used up too fast running a built-in generator. Diesel is not very good - it's smelly/oily, and diesel built-in generators are often too loud and are heavy. Gasoline can be dangerous to carry around in large enough built-in tanks on TTs and FWs for built-in gas generators to be useful.

Carrying a generator and fuel in the TV is about the only choice, but then you lose A/C in the RV if someone stays behind in warm weather, or if this isn't the case, the RV can warm up to very high hard-to-lower-later interior temperatures while everyone is gone in the TV.

:h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fireman93514 wrote:
We had one TT and 3 different sizes of FW. We switched to the MH only after crushing a vertebrae and had difficulty hitching up and using manual jacks we had. Now we are thinking of going back to the FW.

Most return to a 5er.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
A 5er generally pull better and has more storage space than a TT.

5ers now come with automatic hydraulic leveling systems so that old argument is now gone.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
We had one TT and 3 different sizes of FW. We switched to the MH only after crushing a vertebrae and had difficulty hitching up and using manual jacks we had. Now we are thinking of going back to the FW.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
I'd move to a fifth whel now. That we have a good truck if I couldn't find one with double over double bunks. Haven't yet so next one will likely be the white hawk 28something with double bunks .
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

breeno
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32' TT and a 41' FW.

Prefer the FW for towing and hooking up.
Going down the road the FW is zero drama -- hassle-free as can be.

I have a ProPride 3P on the TT and it rides well, too - no complaints there, but the FW definitely tows better.

TT was initially easier to backup, until I learned The Ways Of The 5er.
Now it's a wash between the two.
DW-Dayna DD-Addison (07) Husky-Juni (02)
2013 F350 DRW, 4WD, 6.7, Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Gateway 3650 BH
B&W Companion OEM 20k
Apple Enthusiast

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
APT wrote:
The cost of a premium 5er recevier is $2000-3000, same as premium WDH for TTs. Both can be made to tow very well. Consider other reasons like use of truck bed, steps, space, floorplan, storage, cost of similar TT vs. 5er, etc way above how it can tow.

Not everyone needs to spend $2000-3000 on a 5th hitch. But you do need to spend that much for a Hensley or Propride if you want to try and match how a 5th wheel tows. My B&W Patriot cost $400.00. $250 to have the bed rails installed. It's about as simple as you can get to hitch and unhitch. Even if I went with a nicer hitch it would only be $700-900.00 + $250.00 for install plus $200.00 or so for rails. $1350.00 for a premium hitch. I have $800.00 in mine. A Reese WD or EQ will run $450-550.00. So At the bare minimum setting up a 5'er hitch is only $250-350.00 more. But since we don't know what size 5'er the OP wants we don't know what size 5th hitch he needs. The heavier the 5'er the bigger the hitch.

Understood and agreed. My point is that when planning to spend $40k+ on a TV and $20k+ on an RV, the towing experience is not significant enough to prioritize a TT or 5er.

I will agree partially with that. But the amount of money spent on a setup doesn't reflect what the vehicle is or what the trailer is. If I were to spend $40,000 on a 1/2 ton truck with a tow rating of 9500lbs and a payload rating of 1450lbs, then spend $20,000 on a 33', 8000lb TT, I don't think the experience would be as nice as if I had spent $40,000 on a 1 ton diesel and purchased a 33' 5'er weighing 10,000lb. The guy with the 1/2 ton is the one who needs to spend the $2000+ for an HA or PP. While the 1 ton guy could get by with a minimal 5th hitch setup.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
APT wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
APT wrote:
The cost of a premium 5er recevier is $2000-3000, same as premium WDH for TTs. Both can be made to tow very well. Consider other reasons like use of truck bed, steps, space, floorplan, storage, cost of similar TT vs. 5er, etc way above how it can tow.

Not everyone needs to spend $2000-3000 on a 5th hitch. But you do need to spend that much for a Hensley or Propride if you want to try and match how a 5th wheel tows. My B&W Patriot cost $400.00. $250 to have the bed rails installed. It's about as simple as you can get to hitch and unhitch. Even if I went with a nicer hitch it would only be $700-900.00 + $250.00 for install plus $200.00 or so for rails. $1350.00 for a premium hitch. I have $800.00 in mine. A Reese WD or EQ will run $450-550.00. So At the bare minimum setting up a 5'er hitch is only $250-350.00 more. But since we don't know what size 5'er the OP wants we don't know what size 5th hitch he needs. The heavier the 5'er the bigger the hitch.

Understood and agreed. My point is that when planning to spend $40k+ on a TV and $20k+ on an RV, the towing experience is not significant enough to prioritize a TT or 5er.

Have you towed a 5er?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD