cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting my boat and TT to the Keys with my F150

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
This gave me an idea for a solution to my problem. Was going to just buy a fishing kayak, but looks like this may work. My boat is only 21 feet and TT is light, only 4000lbs. Do you think I will be ok on payload? Heck, I've got an Ecoboost!!

20 REPLIES 20

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I'd remove that prop. I've hit my shins on my trailer hitch more times than I can count. Running into that prop would be plain messy. Even worse than running into the bedroom slider on my 5er.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to keep windows up when launching boat...otherwise might get a little wet!
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
If you have an Eco Boost you can haul/tow anything.:)

Since Ford came out with the Eco Boost I'm surprised they're still making F250/350's.

X2!

The EB has a tow rating of 11,300# so you should be able to have a 36' TT to go with the boat, all the best things in the world! :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Here is hows it done

Looks plausible to me. Plus built in boat launch ramp.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
An F150 with dualies?
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
Here is hows it done
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
For many years, they have made racks to load a small aluminum fishing boat onto the roof of a small camper shell (the kind that are cab height) to load a 12' to 16' long boat onto the roof. This could also be used to load the boat onto the travel trailer roof if desired, but unloading into the water would be more difficult.

However the size of boat loaded on that truck would not work so well. Yes it would be possible to have a rack that lifts the whole boat trailer onto the back of a pickup. Just a matter of engineering it. However it would be a heavy rack, and your 1/2 ton truck probably would not have the capacity to haul the 4,000 pound boat and trailer, rack, passengers and still have enough cargo capacity for your travel trailer's hitch weight.

The dually F-350 has around 5,500 pounds of cargo capacity. I think the highest that the Ecoboost F-150's get is around 2,500 pounds of cargo, including passengers and any options.

It sort of reminds me of a dovetail trailer used to haul a car on the back of a 1 ton truck. Back in the 60's, before roll-off towing platforms where the normal tow truck, they where used to haul car wrecks from the accident scene, when a normal front lift tow truck could not do the job. And dovetail trucks where also used to haul race cars to the track..

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
loulou57 wrote:
If this is not photoshop I would like to know what system he uses to get the boat on and off the truck...!!
What would ever make you think it is not photoshop?

LOL...it looks like the photo has been played with but you never know. As they say back home...There's now't as queer as folk!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
With just the slightest effort anyone could google the facts just as quickly as posting speculation. Just saying.

But what fun would that be...
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
Look at (amiri chevrolet silverado) on youtube. I am a ford owner but he may talk you into a chebby. WARNING NOT FOR EVERYONE. But to me its funny.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Boat dealers around here do that all the time. There is a special rack built in the truck. They go to the factory and they load the boat with an overhead crane. Then with a bolt on hitch on the back of one boat they double tow two more. This way they can transport three boats at one time. It has to be unloaded with an overhead lift of some kind. Most dealers have an A-frame with a winch on it to unload. Even the boats brought in with a transporter have to be unloaded with the overhead lift.

Now all the OP needs is a way to haul the A-frame. And set it up.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I watched a guy load an MG Midget car into the bed of his pickup truck, then hook his TT up to the ball at the back of his truck. Actually watched him load the car. A couple of days earlier, he had run out of gas in the MG, and I gave him a gallon of gas to get it to the station. The only payment I asked was to be allowed to watch the loading process. Two ramps and a 5,000 pound electric winch bolted to the bed of the truck, with tie down points through the bed into the truck frame. Looked funny when loaded.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I have sen this type of set up unloaded with ramps and electric winch.

Really, It was in the Keys!!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Boat dealers around here do that all the time. There is a special rack built in the truck. They go to the factory and they load the boat with an overhead crane. Then with a bolt on hitch on the back of one boat they double tow two more. This way they can transport three boats at one time. It has to be unloaded with an overhead lift of some kind. Most dealers have an A-frame with a winch on it to unload. Even the boats brought in with a transporter have to be unloaded with the overhead lift.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".