Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Yellowstone trip

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
First:
We’re traveling to Yellowstone in September of 2023 and will be staying at Fishing Bridge RV Park. We got our reservations on the first available day this past September. We’ll be at Devils Tower at one point and then an overnight in Ten Sleep, WY. I want to take the least mountainous route there is and it looks like US-16 out of Ten Sleep, south on US-20 to Thermopolis then north on WY-120 up to US-14 west through Cody and into the park’s east entrance.
I’ve read that north out of Ten Sleep to US-14 west is much more mountainous. For those of you that are familiar with the trip, what are your thoughts on my route choice?

Second:
My 5er’s tires will be a few months shy of three years old when we begin our trip. I’m wondering if I should replace them beforehand. Opinions?
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10’s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired
33 REPLIES 33

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
We were at Fishing Bridge a few years ago and it closed the last week in September. We had no issues with bad weather. I think you'll be fine.

The last time I was in the Yellowstone area in a campground in Sept. ,they had us shut our water off because of the below freezing temperatures at night . . Just the other day of course its winter is was 42 below in West Yellowstone . And it "can" get nasty in September . We usually get snow or hail in June for annual summer trip to that area ,we are about 30 miles from West Yellowstone .

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Plan 2 days in Cody if you really want to experience the museum has to offer.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Rodeo is good in Cody but the season is ended by Sept.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
If you can plan the trip to accommodate spending the day in Cody, the Buffalo Bill museum is epic. Here's the website: https://centerofthewest.org/
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
There is a neat looking small RV park in Ten Sleep where we have wanted to stay several times when we come through but timing wise, it has not worked out for us.

That is exactly where we’ll be spending the night. The restaurants and small shops look real cool. We’ll also be making a short trip down the road to the small brewery. It looks like a neat little town. The way it got its name is also interesting.
Bob & Susan

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a neat looking small RV park in Ten Sleep where we have wanted to stay several times when we come through but timing wise, it has not worked out for us.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
We were at Fishing Bridge a few years ago and it closed the last week in September. We had no issues with bad weather. I think you'll be fine.

We’ll be leaving the park on September 27.

ReneeG wrote:
Every spring and before a long trip, we take our fifth wheel in and get the tires inspected. We've never had a fail with regular inspections by a professional.

Thanks. I had planned on doing that.
Bob & Susan

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Every spring and before a long trip, we take our fifth wheel in and get the tires inspected. We've never had a fail with regular inspections by a professional.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I didn’t know the weather could be so severe in late September. Now you’ve got me wondering!

The weather in all these high altitude parks is very unpredictable. But the fact that the Cody RV parks close down then, makes me think it isn't all that unusual for that time of the year. The Park cg close down at the end of Sept too I believe. At least the Tetons cg do and Fishing Bridge was empty when we drove by on the way out.
Superbumper

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
There are several commercial camps around Thermopolis. I wished I could remember the name of the one we stayed at. It was old school and the hot springs were scattered along the river. We went to the state park also which was just ok.

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
The road east of Ten Sleep goes thru a high mountain pass and was very snowy when we went thru west to east last late September. Cody thru the park on 14 was also high altitude and actively snowing hard and being plowed at the time. The hot springs at Thermopolis were a major disappointment, concrete pools inside a building.
So be prepared for weather in the park. Of course I have been in snowstorms there in July. The park is high altitude 9000ft more or less. Cody rolls up the sidewalks at the end of September and all the RV parks close. Be sure to visit Lamar Valley if you want to see critters.
I could not believe the prices at Fishing Bridge now.

I didn’t know the weather could be so severe in late September. Now you’ve got me wondering!

The actual spring is what we want to see, not the concrete pools like you describe.

I realize Fishing Bridge is in the park but I was shocked to see the price: $99 a night! Wow!
Bob & Susan

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Did the same route last fall...

US-16 is the better route across the Big Horn Mts (vs US-14) but still a decent climb and drop. That's really the mountainous part of getting from Devils Tower to Fishing Bridge.

At 10 Sleep you are past the worst, the route isn't bad at all (north to Greybull then west to Cody). No reason to go way south to Thermopolis.

As far as tires, assuming there are no other issues (balding, bubbles on the sidewall, etc...), 3yrs is fine. Typically around 6-7yrs is when you start to consider tires having aged out.

Thermopolis looks like a cool little town. We thought the spring itself might be something interesting to see. Going through there is a bit longer but it is also something else to see on our trip.
Bob & Susan

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Agree with both replies above.

I towed snowmobile trailers in the Bighorn Mts, and there are steep climbs coming from the east. Even in Winter the road from Buffalo, over powder river pass was good, but around 10K summit.

I also rode motorcycle through the Bighorns, both routes, rode/camped near Cody, road all through Yellowstone. Riding MC much more enjoyable than towing!:)

Curious why you chose Ten Sleep to overnight? Not much there, should be quiet though.

Jerry
Jerry, you're right, those are some great motorcycle roads. The first time I went over to Cody, around 1976, 14-Alt. was still open and WOW!! what a ride. Took a short side trip to the Indian Medicine Wheel too.

A couple years ago we did a northern trip and I finally got to make it over Red Mountain Pass. Great ride even though cold.

Okay, sorry for the hijack.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The road east of Ten Sleep goes thru a high mountain pass and was very snowy when we went thru west to east last late September. Cody thru the park on 14 was also high altitude and actively snowing hard and being plowed at the time. The hot springs at Thermopolis were a major disappointment, concrete pools inside a building.
So be prepared for weather in the park. Of course I have been in snowstorms there in July. The park is high altitude 9000ft more or less. Cody rolls up the sidewalks at the end of September and all the RV parks close. Be sure to visit Lamar Valley if you want to see critters.
I could not believe the prices at Fishing Bridge now.
Superbumper