cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Orlando Fl Bad water supply

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Currently located at Thousand Trails, and recently moved from Encore Lake Magic. Couple of weeks ago myself and DW noticed we were developing skin rash everywhere. It finally occurred to me it might be the water so I installed a whole house filter and the rash has disappeared. We also noticed our gums were always sore so we started using bottled water to brush teeth and that cleared up. Friends who rented a house near us for the winter, report similar issues and actually went to the ER and ended up with a skin clean prescription.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms south and west of Orlando?
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
24 REPLIES 24

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:

If there's something wrong with the water supply, it would be affecting the whole community.

No it wouldn't.
Not everybody has the same sensitivities (allergies).
AND....simply dumping in some chlorine to kill bacteria doesn't remove other contaminants.
There are various levels of "treatment".

As someone who is extremely familiar with water treatment in FL...
If it affects the community, itโ€™s a problem with the supply. If it affects the 1 or 2 people, itโ€™s a problem with those people.

My wife switched laundry detergents one time and some of those in our family started having skin issues. Checked into it and the detergent had something in that was different than other brands. Got away from that detergent and all returned to normal.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not necessarily (Though I do not know the park in question many TT parks use wells. no treatment if the water meets quality standards which vary from state to state). Others use city water (Treated as a general rule).

That said. As you move from location to location,, If it's more than a very short distance. water changes.. On my dad's farm when a well collapsed and we had to drill a new one about 75 yards away the water was different.

This can cause issues. Most notably Montezuma's Revenge. or as I call it. Frequent flyer syndrom.. Till your body adjusts to the new supply.

Fact.. Normally in the summer I fill up at one Campground (12 well system) and stay there 2 weeke. re-fill and head to a TT park about an hour away. stay there 2 weeks. never touch a hose. Back to the first and re-fill..

After a summer of doing that it got cold so I dropped by Marshall MI for a new factory rebuilt converter and on to Upstate SC..

That 80 gallons I filled up with the day before Halloween lasted me till Thanksgiving AM.. the next 80 gallons lasted a week.. Frequent flushing syndrome. after that it was back to re-filling every 3 weeks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

If there's something wrong with the water supply, it would be affecting the whole community.

No it wouldn't.
Not everybody has the same sensitivities (allergies).
AND....simply dumping in some chlorine to kill bacteria doesn't remove other contaminants.
There are various levels of "treatment".
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Pretty much all of FL has bad water. It smells. Not surprised it has caused rashes.

Iโ€™ve lived here all my life and that is not my experience.

And that is your experience ONLY.

Just because you have never noticed it, does NOT mean that it is not true.

IF....you have never lived outside of a major metropolitan area, you would think that all of Florida is like that. It isn't, in a LOT of respects.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
The water you're drinking at Thousand Trails comes from a treats supply. Whether they have an internal treatment facility or are part of the larger municipal system, the only "bad" stuff in the water is what is being used for treatment purposes (chlorine, phosphorus, lime, etc.).

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Florida is filled with things that aren't found in the rest of the USA. Animals, plants and even minerals in the water.

It's not that anything here is bad. It's that you are sensitive to something.

It's good you found out the cause. But millions of people have been using the water in Orlando for their entire lives with no problems.

Be thankful you figuit out. Took me a couple years to figure out a specific tree here caused me not to be able to breathe.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
Pretty much all of FL has bad water. It smells. Not surprised it has caused rashes.

Iโ€™ve lived here all my life and that is not my experience.

There are areas that have higher sulphuric content and I agree itโ€™s smelly.

All Florida counties offer free water testing.

Take some in and get it tested.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:

Sad but true.
Municipal water companies seem to do a pretty good job of cleaning it up though.
I try not to fill my tank from a well......ever.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many people. Too much waste. Florida is in water trouble.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ken56
Explorer
Explorer