cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our best trip yet... southern Utah!

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just returned from a 9 day trip to the canyons of southern Utah and WOW! We broke the 575 miles from Tucson to Moab into two legs stopping in Tuba City both coming and going. Spent 3 days and nights in Moab at the Spanish Trails RV park {3 miles south of Moab on 191}, nice park, good amenities and friendly folks with a great location.

I towed my Harley Davidson Super Glide behind our 24'Nexus Class C not because we needed a Toad {we don't}, but so that we could see and enjoy this magnificent country from the back of the bike. We rode through Arches the first Day and did Canyonlands the next. We then headed north, west, south and west again to reach Capitol Reef NP. This was taken about half way between Torrey and capitol Reef NP:

The drive to Capitol Reef was incredible, highway 24, to and through Hanksville is gorgeous and as much as we enjoyed Arches and Canyonlands they cannot hold a candle to the beauty of Capitol Reef. We stayed at the 1,000 Lakes RV Park on 24, 3 miles west of Torrey. Again another nice park that we would be happy to return to. Spent half a day exploring all that CR had to offer taking lots of photos.

This was taken about 6 miles south of the visitor center at CR NP:

Yes, it really is that gorgeous everywhere you look.

On Friday we left early to ride "The 12" as the locals refer to it, being SR {State Route}, 12 which originates in Torrey and heads south over the high pass dropping down to Boulder before turning west through Escalante and ultimately bringing you to Bryce Canyon NP.

The summit at the top of the pass was 9,600', 38 degrees with 4 feet of snow as far as the eye could see. The views were incredible but 100 per cent of my concentration was on keeping the bike upright and in the lane {which despite all of the snow was dry,} so we did not stop until we got to Boulder. Breakfast {or any meal for that matter}, at the Hell's Backbone Cafe is highly recommended.

We left Boulder and headed west through Escalante and SR12 continued to impress. Narrow and twisty with no shoulder and sheer 1,000'+ drop offs on both sides of the road, yep that would be "Hell's Backbone". Did I mention the 4 miles of 18 per cent grade that drops you down to Escalante SP? We are talking a serious motorcyclist road but don't think it would be much fun in anything but the smallest of RV's.

We continued west through Cannonville, the jumping off town for Kodachrome Basin SP which sadly we lacked the time to visit but is reported to be on a par with Capitol Reef. We came into Bryce Canyon from the east and as we had been there before and the weather was deteriorating rapidly we turned north for the long {2.5 hour}, ride back to Torrey.

Saturday we started the journey home exiting CR NP back to the east on 24 to Hanksville where we picked up 95 which took us the rest of the 166 miles to 191 just south of Blanding. If there is a more beautiful, spectacular road on earth than 95 I sure would like to find it. Take your time and just about any RV can handle it but if you opt to go south off of 95 onto 276 be certain the ferry is running as that is the only way to get across the Colorado River {and you will have a very long ride retracing your path back to 95}.

The rest of the trip included more than a little inclement weather with high winds and blowing sand most of the way to Kayenta and {think 45 to 50 right on the nose to Tuba City}. We avoided all but a mere 5 miles of I-40 and all of I-25 in Flagstaff by electing to cruise down through the mountains passing through Happy Jack, Strawberry and Pine before reaching Payson. We finally stopped and enjoyed a relaxing evening at Roosevelt Lake at the Windy Hill cg before returning home completing the last 125 miles to reach home.

All total we logged 1,500 miles on the coach and another 500 miles on the bike. Utah was our best trip ever but be warned that the summers can be very hot, often triple digits and usually very, very crowded.

Early April brought us lots of cool weather, 4 hours of heavy rain and a even a bit of light snow. We missed a serious blizzard by a mere 2 hours at Monticello 40 miles southeast of Moab which covered the La Sal mountains. The 35,000 BTU furnace {thank you Nexus}, got quite a workout every night and I even ran the tank heaters once. We will return in late September and can't wait to contue thoroughly exploring southern Utah.
25 REPLIES 25

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
The 18 per cent grade is about 15 miles west of Boulder as you ride the crest of "Hell's backbone". A few miles further out there is a 14 per center as well. The extreme shear drop offs from the very narrow roadbed are what gave me the most concern along with a number of fools driving RV's over the double yellow lines.... Arrrrg! :E:C

I remember the drop offs but I have only done that road in a 24' class C and a 24' 5th wheel and don't remember the slope. Pretty certain I would remember it with my current camper.:E
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Captain_Happy wrote:
Gee, and to think I spend all summer up there. Utah is one beautiful state. You forgot to take the road out of Cedar City on Hwy 14 over toward Long Valley Junction on Hwy 89. And another great drive is off Hwy 14 on Hwy 148 to Parowan, Utah. Take you time, this is one beautiful drive. This summer I plan on driving up around the Park City area.

No worries.... been there done that .

:B

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, and to think I spend all summer up there. Utah is one beautiful state. You forgot to take the road out of Cedar City on Hwy 14 over toward Long Valley Junction on Hwy 89. And another great drive is off Hwy 14 on Hwy 148 to Parowan, Utah. Take you time, this is one beautiful drive. This summer I plan on driving up around the Park City area.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
hypoxia wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
Did I mention the 4 miles of 18 per cent grade that drops you down to Escalante SP?

Where is that?

Utah 12 is an unbelievably scenic road, one of our favorites. The whole area between Moab and the Grand Canyon is a sight to behold. Your report makes me want to load the motorcycle and go - NOW!

Anyone with an Off Highway Vehicle or Jeep that hasn't been there needs to load up & go. Between Moab and the Paiute Trail there is enough to keep busy for quite some time.

Lake Mary road to 87 from Flagstaff was a good choice, much more enjoyable than I-17.

The 18 per cent grade is about 15 miles west of Boulder as you ride the crest of "Hell's backbone". A few miles further out there is a 14 per center as well. The extreme shear drop offs from the very narrow roadbed are what gave me the most concern along with a number of fools driving RV's over the double yellow lines.... Arrrrg! :E

Skipping I-17 coming home was a no brainer as it is in terrible shape (as is I-40 in the Flagstaff area}. Going north the last 35 miles into Flagstaff was some of the worst interstate I have ever driven. The Flagstaff winters and all of the heavy truck traffic really take a toll on the roads up there.

:C

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Did I mention the 4 miles of 18 per cent grade that drops you down to Escalante SP?

Where is that?

Utah 12 is an unbelievably scenic road, one of our favorites. The whole area between Moab and the Grand Canyon is a sight to behold. Your report makes me want to load the motorcycle and go - NOW!

Anyone with an Off Highway Vehicle or Jeep that hasn't been there needs to load up & go. Between Moab and the Paiute Trail there is enough to keep busy for quite some time.

Lake Mary road to 87 from Flagstaff was a good choice, much more enjoyable than I-17.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
We made that trip in 2015 and visited all 5 of the parks. Probably the most beautiful/scenic trip we've ever made. Can't wait to go back!
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
That trip has been on my bucket list for a while. Now it's moved up! Great write up!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report! We've been many places, and that area has been our personal favorite.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Kodachrome Basin SP is nice, but is not on par with Capitol Reef.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a bunch for sharing your travels, looks like you had a wonderful trip. We always enjoy southern Utah for it's magnificent and breathtaking scenery.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the great trip report! That area is on my bucket list.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board