cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight Visitor

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought I would share this with everyone.

The other day, I needed something out of my clipper, so I popped in to grab it. I had been doing some stuff in there a while back and so I knew I had some things out of place. However, when I walked in, I noticed some clothes lying around - they are normally in ebags packing cubes. Then I saw my gloves on the doghouse (they were in the console), and a pad of paper. There was a note. I don't have it right here, but it said something about please. Then "they want to kill it", and then something about just do it.

The handwriting was very nice and everytbing but please was spel!ed correctly.

Well, with that, I looked carefully at everything. What this person did NOT do:

Steal anything (I had a camera, telescope, mp3 player, lanterns, etc., All things that would have been worth cash or handy to have.

Do any damage. Nothing was broken, ruined, vandalized, etc.

What he did do:

Had a couple sodas (I stopped drinking them, so they were over a year old)
Ate my all-dressed chips (OK, that one made me mad)
Ate some good-n-plenties
Slept in my overhead bed.

Toilet appears unused. But for ick factor, I will wash all clothing, bedding and wipe down everything.

There was no break-in, so I must have left the door unlocked.

While I know there are folks who will harp on how horrid this is, I can honestly say I am not upset or anything. I have since locked it up and will be more careful in the future. But, this was most likely a schizophrenic and not some tweaker or lazy arse. He had a nice warm restful night, had something to eat, treated my stuff well, and left me a thank you note. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, I consider myself lucky and in the end I helped someone out.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)
75 REPLIES 75

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
There was nothing taken, nothing vandalized, no injuries. There would have been NO fingerprinting. Heck, there would have been no visit by the police to take a report.

I would have been told "file a report online". I would have written that an unknown person on an unknown night walked into my unlocked RV and ate a bag of chips and drank a couple sodas and ate some good-n-plenties. The unknown person crashed on my cabover bed for an unknown amount of time and then left. Nothing was stolen, nothing was broken, there were no drugs or paraphernalia lying around. There were no situations at any neighbor's house.

Oh wait, you're all right. I should have reported it so the police could send out the CSI to do a full DNA search of my RV and then go search through millions of records to find a match to arrest someone for simple trespassing. Oh, but then they would have to go find this unknown faceless nameless person.

Seriously, PDs do NOT have the manpower or finances to check for fingerprints and DNA for a simple trespassing. Heck, the majority of **** DNA evidence goes unprocessed because of year's of backlog and lack of funding. But you're all right - I should make sure this evil person gets put away for the horrid terrible crime they committed.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
While I know there are folks who will harp on how horrid this is, I can honestly say I am not upset or anything.....

There was a note. I don't have it right here, but it said something about please. Then "they want to kill it", and then something about just do it....

Sorry you should have definitely should have called the police.
"Especially" with a note like that left.

How are you going to feel when this psychopath enters another RV when someone is inside and kills them?

You read about this over and over and over where someone did 'not' call the police and the criminal went on to do even more horrific things. Since he got away with doing entering your RV.

For all you know he could of left prints of a known criminal that would have helped the police with his location. Or that that note could have been connected with another crime.

Or at best if he was in the system the prints would have led to an arrest and stop him from getting into anyone else's RV.

And BTW I'd be burning that bed he slept in.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^True, but It wouldnโ€™t be a good rvnet soap opera if half the respondents to the thread didnโ€™t claim the Sky was falling!

Oh, you're right. And I've apparently let everyone down by not falling into it. I'll work to redeem myself. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Were you expecting lot of attaboys?

Would you have felt the same if he'd let himself into your house and made himself at home while you were gone? I mean, that's basically what he did. And next time he may.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure why this thread was started. It sounds to me like you answered your own question. In your opinion no crime occurred so why try to prevent it?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^True, but It wouldnโ€™t be a good rvnet soap opera if half the respondents to the thread didnโ€™t claim the Sky was falling!

Oh, you're right. And I've apparently let everyone down by not falling into it. I'll work to redeem myself. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
There was no "criminal behavior" in the area. There was a single incident of someone crashing in an unlocked RV for a night that was found who knows how many nights after it happened.

Yes, I was lucky - I have never indicated otherwise.

No, I did not leave my RV door unlocked on purpose nor did I invite strangers to crash in my RV.

This was a simple collection of incidents that created a single event: mistake of leaving door unlocked, someone happening by at that moment to find the door unlocked, person wanting only to crash and have something to eat.

Yes, it could have been worse. But it also shows that not every person out in the world is a meth addict and looking for a meth lab.

Reporting this would not make anyone safer because the person was no danger to anyone and stole nothing.

And I sure hope that "fake news" comment wasn't directed at me. I did not make up anything.

However, it sure does seem that others are turning my overnight visitor into a psycho madman with a hook arm and a meth lab without even any evidence or suspicion that he was anything but cold and hungry.

huntram
Explorer
Explorer
Fake news!
Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2014 Ram 3500, Western Brown, Laramie, CrewCab Dually, Aisin Trans, CTD, 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider yourself lucky you did not find a portable meth lab or a bunch of needles in your trailer or even worse.

Reasonable precautions should be taken so your not listed in the victim column.

The Police should have been notified. You might not care but you would actually make your neighbors safer by alerting the authorities to criminal behavior in the area.

Want to do good things for your fellow man, volunteer at a soup kitchen and keep your house and trailer locked.

Cynical I know, years in law enforcement made me that way..
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
I agree with Dtanks post above...

At first, I was thinking 'no big deal, just forget about it', then after reading all of the above posts I have to agree that I would probably report it.

It makes you wonder why someone would check unlocked RV's. The 'public' are so much different now than when my Mom and Dad spoke of people from the 1940's-1950's. Remember when you didn't lock your front door? Can you ever imagine not doing that now?

We're in a different world today,

Safe travels,
MM.

I don't lock my front door. I live in the country, if they want to get in they can just kick the door in and no one will hear them anyway. I have friends that live in town (4500 people). They don't lock their doors either. Locks only keep out your friends. I leave the keys in the pickup too. But, at night I remove them and hide them. When I am in town I pull the keys but, don't lock the doors. Nothing in there worth stealing anyway.
When Mom and Dad were alive they never locked their house in several decades. Had to have keys made when I sold the house. Never had trouble with theft but they did have two large German Shepherds.

ldonabed
Explorer
Explorer
While storing our 5th wheel at a mini storage it got broken into. Quarters, toiletries, some warm clothes, backpack & flashlights were missing. On the bed was a pile of other clothes that I think were ready to be taken. Several other rvs' doors were wide open so I'm sure they were also broken into. A man next to us came to pick his rv up & they'd broken into his too....& used the toilet...yuck. Luckily no damage was done...& I did file a police report. But until we found another place to store it I always worried about it happening again. No fun.

ldonabed
Explorer
Explorer
While storing our 5th wheel at a mini storage it got broken into. Quarters, toiletries, some warm clothes, backpack & flashlights were missing. On the bed was a pile of other clothes that I think were ready to be taken. Several other rvs' doors were wide open so I'm sure they were also broken into. A man next to us came to pick his rv up & they'd broken into his too....& used the toilet...yuck. Luckily no damage was done...& I did file a police report. But until we found another place to store it I always worried about it happening again. No fun.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie, sounds like you live in a nice place. You just can't beat a small town atmosphere.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr.Mark wrote:
I agree with Dtanks post above...

At first, I was thinking 'no big deal, just forget about it', then after reading all of the above posts I have to agree that I would probably report it.

It makes you wonder why someone would check unlocked RV's. The 'public' are so much different now than when my Mom and Dad spoke of people from the 1940's-1950's. Remember when you didn't lock your front door? Can you ever imagine not doing that now?

We're in a different world today,

Safe travels,
MM.

I don't lock my front door. I live in the country, if they want to get in they can just kick the door in and no one will hear them anyway. I have friends that live in town (4500 people). They don't lock their doors either. Locks only keep out your friends. I leave the keys in the pickup too. But, at night I remove them and hide them. When I am in town I pull the keys but, don't lock the doors. Nothing in there worth stealing anyway.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK. I am not reporting it. He is long gone.

I find it interesting how everyone is so focused on the non-existent bad luck of what didn't happen rather than the good luck of what did happen.

Yes, I could have opened the door to many things that would have been awful.

But I opened it to an empty chips bag and a couple empty soda cans.

I have taken precautions to prevent another overnight visitor. I am grateful that this was all that happened. I found it to be a positive story about things not going bad due to a simple mistake (my leaving the door unlocked). Sad that it has everyone else finding it a horror story of death and mayhem that never was.