cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Patch fresh water tank

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
The clamp holding the fill hose to my fresh water tank leaked while filling the tank and filled the underbelly with water. The plastic corregated material was bulging so I drilled a weep hole to drain the water... Yep, went too far and hit the fresh water tank. The dealer fixed the clamp under warranty and put a stainless screw and sealant in the hole in the tank. After over 6000 miles and a rough out west trip, the fix is leaking. How can I permanently repair the leak? I would replace the tank, except that the dealer says that to do so would mean cutting out a cross member and then re-welding it. Ugh!
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
5 REPLIES 5

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
one choice is a sensor plug. most fresh tanks are white polyethelene or similar that is very hard to solvent weld. However they are usually built with all fitting spin welded to the tank. And there are spin weld patches for them. Best thing would be to have a qualified repair shop spin weld on a patch. very quick and easy to do.

spin welding is basically a friction weld process. the patch is spun at high speed over the hole and the friction heats and melts the plastic fusing it into the tank material.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I did exactly the same thing on my fifth wheel. A repair facility used a sensor patch or plug to seal the hole. The patch/plug was not connected to anything. It worked perfectly.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a small drill hole - don't remember what size git I was using. It is on the bottom of the tank.
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say how big the hole was. If you can drill it to fit a tank sensor, that should work. The sensors expand to tightly fit the hole as they are tightened.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight has a cheap soldering iron type plastic welder that would do the job.
-- Chris Bryant