cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Personal/Standing Lift

BellaLynda
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but I posted on several threads, including introducing our new set up, but have not received one reply :h I originally posted the below paragraph on the Travel Trailer modification thread and although it's had 100+ views it also has had no replies. I thought I might have more luck here.

We're "sort of" new to TT'ing, having just upgraded from a teardrop. We've been searching quite awhile for a used, affordable RV that will accommodate DH wheelchair without success. We decided on a new Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS with the murphy bed because the floor plan and light weight best fit our needs. Does anyone have knowledge/experience with the addition of a personal/standing lift to their TT?
2015 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
2001 E-250
7 REPLIES 7

BellaLynda
Explorer
Explorer
tonyandkaren wrote:
Welcome to RVNet and congratulations on your new trailer! I have no knowledge or experience with standing lifts so I can't be of any help there but I use a wheelchair and have a lot of information in my blog about wheelchair accessibility at attractions and campgrounds. Click the link in my signature.

Smiles...thank you, Karen. Believe it or not, when I started this search for an accessible RV, a year or so ago, I came across yours and Tony's blog and added it to my favorites. I've been so focused on finding an RV that would work for us, I haven't given it much thought. Now that we're almost ready to roll, I'll be looking forward to reading about your adventures. Thank you!
2001 E-250

BellaLynda
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
I added the Burr Handi-Lift to our 5th Wheel. The wall next to the door frame had to be modified to support the lift. I did all of the work myself after being quoted $6000 for modification and installation by a vendor.

The lift works well but the platform is too small for a wheelchair so I modified the platform to hold a transport type wheelchair. This is against the warnings of the manufacturer, we never had a problem with it.

If I had to do it all over again I would get a portable ramp and landing system to use instead. Or use a Hoyer Patient lift. These provide the flexibility to use the devices where needed instead of a fixed location.

Thank you. DH is an above the knee amputee but is able to stand on one leg in order to transfer from wheelchair to mobility cart, sofa, van seat, etc. Until recently he was able to go quite a distance on crutches. I was just looking at portable ramps specifically for RV's, but I'm quite sure they are more than we would be able to manage. Would you be kind enough to tell me more about what you mention, including the "landing system". I've also considered a Hoyer, but again, it's more equipment that needs to be lifted and moved...we also have to consider the additional weight. Again, thanks.

BTW...we were also quoted a "ball park" price of $4, $5 or $6 K...sighs...that's a pretty durn big ball park!!!

*Edited to add this last sentence...:)
2001 E-250

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to RVNet and congratulations on your new trailer! I have no knowledge or experience with standing lifts so I can't be of any help there but I use a wheelchair and have a lot of information in my blog about wheelchair accessibility at attractions and campgrounds. Click the link in my signature.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27871408.cfm
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I added the Burr Handi-Lift to our 5th Wheel. The wall next to the door frame had to be modified to support the lift. I did all of the work myself after being quoted $6000 for modification and installation by a vendor.

The lift works well but the platform is too small for a wheelchair so I modified the platform to hold a transport type wheelchair. This is against the warnings of the manufacturer, we never had a problem with it.

If I had to do it all over again I would get a portable ramp and landing system to use instead. Or use a Hoyer Patient lift. These provide the flexibility to use the devices where needed instead of a fixed location.

BellaLynda
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Pat. Being new to the forum, I'm still learning my way around. I should have thought of the search tool. Again, thank you.
2001 E-250

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
This is an old post with several links.
Pat
Clicky
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315