cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pests and dangerous plant hazards in Arizona

rlyons
Explorer
Explorer
Going to do our first extended trip to Arizona this winter as a CDN Snowbird. We spent 3 weeks in Apache Junction in 2000 and met the lovely Choa (Jumping) Cactus but what other pests and plants does a novice snowbird look out for in Arizona during the winter months?
rthomaslyons
22 REPLIES 22

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Bad drivers are way more dangerous than Western flora and fauna :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
But, but.....They look soooooo "pretty"......

Be informed !! - Google: "Cholla Cactus" -

Take a look at some of the YouTube videos, like:
"Cholla Cactus Attacks" (guy showing how they do their thing - gets done in himself),
and - "EXTREME Cactus Attack"

The yelling in pain is *not* exaggerated! !! - ๐Ÿ˜ž

~

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
henkelphoto wrote:

All in all, your biggest problem with be with cactus. Many types have almost microscopic "hairs" that get into your skin and itch or hurt for days until your body expels them.

!

the worst weed I have ever run into was at the Lake Whitney estates RV park, growing between the sites in the middle of the park. tiny horrible stickers impossible to get out of cloth.
bumpy

henkelphoto
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Las Vegas. We are in the Mojave Desert, while most of Arizona is in the Sonoran Desert. But most of our wildlife is pretty close, with the exception of javelinas. Scorpions seem to breed in palm trees and we have quite a few in our neighborhood, but to be honest, I've never seen one in the wild.

As mentioned above, if you are boon docking, you need to be aware that coyotes will attack small animals if given the opportunity, but leave people and larger animals alone. Snakes might be a problem, just be aware, and of course, they hibernate in the winter. Unlike horror movies, tarantulas and gila monsters are not a problem, even if you are fortunate to see one.

All in all, your biggest problem with be with cactus. Many types have almost microscopic "hairs" that get into your skin and itch or hurt for days until your body expels them.

One of the great things about the desert is that we don't have many flying insects, no mosquitos, just a few flies and no chiggers!

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
DANG............I live in AZ and wasn't aware of ALL the dangers!

It's amazing that we've survived:E
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your stay. Arizona is an awesome, safe place. Just be aware of your surroundings.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Lions, Tigers and Bears OOHH My
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
I've been coming here for over twenty years...hiked quite a bit in the Tucson area and have spent a fair bit of time out in the desert....common sense goes a long way....carry a hiking stick, poke rocks with it before ever sticking your hands where you can't see!

Javelina's aren't usually aggressive unless cornered or protecting their young....you can usually smell them long before you see them! Just remember, nature was here long before we showed up!
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember,
Everything in the desert either sticks ya, stings ya, or bites ya.

Check this site for more, dangerous desert plants
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Ive read a few answers.....want to disagree.
In the winter, in Quartzsite area, it's rare to see scorpions, snake, etc. We've camped here for 7 yrs and have seen 1 snake, 1 tarantula and one scorpion. Usually it's too cold. But for sure, look first.

As for coyotes......they ARE a danger....not to humans but to animals. We hear every year of someone complaining their dog or cat got to be the coyotes dinner. So keep an eye on the pet and do NOT trust your dog will stay by the campsite. They see a rabbit, they take off. We found a dog out in the desert. Luckily found the owners......the dog was TWO MILES from their RV.....and had been out there for 10 hrs. It was VERY lucky to be alive.

As for the cactus.....LOL...they are there all year long. Look, but don't touch is my motto. Walked into a jumping cholla once.....was rockhounding....that dang spot on my leg hurt off and on for 6 months.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Probable the most dangerous thing in the entire West are Humans.. Especially ones driving.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer

Just stirring the pot, lol.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Might be easier to just deal with some snow in Canada.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DANG............I live in AZ and wasn't aware of ALL the dangers!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31