cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pink stuff froze

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
This was a real surprise. Yesterday, winterized the Motor Home. I forgot and left the Pink stuff sitting on the back porch over night. It got down to 21 last night. There was a little over a fourth still in the jug. It was not froze solid, but was pretty thick slush in the jug this morning. I sure didn't know it could freeze. I used it to pour in all the P-traps in the coach. Now I'm wondering what happens if it gets colder.
41 REPLIES 41

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
I don't know the science - but after reading a thousand threads I am pretty sure that the Pink Stuff will get slushy and won't burst your pipes. That's enough for me.

XXX3
HTML

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
I think everyone has gotten the point. We can skip the chemistry lessons.
They obviously go right over your head, anyway.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think everyone has gotten the point. We can skip the chemistry lessons.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
There are two types of pink RV antifreeze for winterizing your water lines. One is ethylene glycol which has ethyl alcohol and the other is propylene glycol which is alcohol free and the safer of the two for drinking water systems.
Ethylene glycol and ethyl alcohol are two different very different things. Well, technically, they're related chemically (ethylene glycol is a double alcohol), but they're different chemicals with very different properties.

You're not going to find any RV antifreeze made from ethylene glycol because it's poisonous. It is commonly used for automotive (engine) antifreeze.

Ethylene (ethyl alcohol, the stuff we drink) is sometimes used in RV antifreeze. To do so, it's "denatured." That is, something poisonous or bad tasting is added to it. Since it's going into a potable water system, poisoning is out, which means it's bad tasting. That makes it hard to get the taste out in the spring, since the bad tasting stuff can get into the plastic of the water lines.

The other RV antifreeze is propylene glycol, as you say. It's non-poisonous, and GRAS (generally recognized as safe). It's also a double alcohol, and is chemically related to isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
mobeewan wrote:
MFL wrote:
Needs more ethanol in it. Many brands will slush/thicken, but not supposed to expand. If your 1.99 brand fails, breaks water lines/fittings, be sure to post brand. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

There are two types of pink RV antifreeze for winterizing your water lines. One is ethylene glycol which has ethyl alcohol and the other is propylene glycol which is alcohol free and the safer of the two for drinking water systems.

They never said which antifreeze they were using but they definitely shouldn't be adding ethanol alcohol to propylene glycol because it can change the properties and probably the freezing point rendering it ineffective.

Also care should be taken on the type of alcohol. Methanol is extremely toxic to humans if ingested or if vapors are inhaled. Ingestion of as little as one to four ounces can cause irreversible injury to the nervous system, blindness or even death. Methanol can cause poisoning, systemic acidosis, optic nerve damage and central nervous system (CNS) effects.

I'm sure others realized my more ethanol statement was TnC, sorry you missed that. Lol, good post on the Methanol ingestion though, for the folks drinking or inhaling.

The OP did state what RV anti-freeze he is using, and it should work just fine. It is better quality than many others available.

Jerry

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-s wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Only water expands when it freezes. Everything else continues to contract as it freezes.
Silicon, bismuth, gallium and antimony all expand when they freeze. Gallium is neat to play with, it melts at around 86F. But, because it expands when it freezes, you have to be careful of what you store it in.

You can make interesting crystals with bismuth in a household oven. Proper precautions (ventilation, mostly) should be taken.

OK, don't flush out your water lines with silicon, bismuth, gallium or antimony. There, he is covered. :B
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Needs more ethanol in it. Many brands will slush/thicken, but not supposed to expand. If your 1.99 brand fails, breaks water lines/fittings, be sure to post brand. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

They never said which antifreeze they were using but they definitely shouldn't be adding ethanol alcohol to propylene glycol because it can change the properties and probably the freezing point rendering it ineffective.

Also care should be taken on the type of alcohol. Methanol is extremely toxic to humans if ingested or if vapors are inhaled. Ingestion of as little as one to four ounces can cause irreversible injury to the nervous system, blindness or even death. Methanol can cause poisoning, systemic acidosis, optic nerve damage and central nervous system (CNS) effects.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
egh33 wrote:
It was Brand name " Super Tech." Mfg. USA $4.79 @ gallon. I'm going to sit it out tonight and see if it get solid. right now it is pretty thick slush.

Will keep you posted

Do yourself a favour and both cut to the chase AND get the answer to your question.....

Go get a tub of Ben & Jerryโ€™s ice cream to eat while you watch your pink stuff getting cold......

Why you ask?

Because propylene glycol, aka pink stuff, is what keeps ice cream from freezing solid into an unscoopable block of ice.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
stuff I buy is good down to -50. darn just thought of something. I left my weed sprayer out and it still has weed be gon in it. guess I need to get rid of it and flush it out and then put pink into it . it has an electric pump on it also.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
egh33 wrote:
It was Brand name " Super Tech." Mfg. USA $4.79 @ gallon. I'm going to sit it out tonight and see if it get solid. right now it is pretty thick slush.

Will keep you posted

Super tech is wally worlds in house brand of anti freeze be it for an Rv or vehicle. Walmart does not have an antifreeze plant. They buy it under contract....probably from whoevers name brand costs more.

The RV forum. Complicating the uncomplicated and promoting fear mongering since 1823 lol.

Wallys probably sells a million gallons+ of it yearly, and if you pay the RV dealer $75+ or more he's using the same stuff made by the same manufacturer but buying in bulk in 55 gallon drums.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know the science - but after reading a thousand threads I am pretty sure that the Pink Stuff will get slushy and won't burst your pipes. That's enough for me.
Kevin

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Been 40 degrees colder than that and no problems.
Jayco-noslide

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many folks have expressed concern at the Pink Stuff Freezing.

Far as I know (Science major) WATER is unique of all substances in the world in that when it turns from Liquid to Soild IT EXPANDS.. This is why ICe folats.

All other substances the transformation it Shrinks.. The Pink stuff is NOT water and thus shrinks.

The damage happens when water EXPANDS in an enclosed space that can not take the pressure or expand with it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

egh33
Explorer
Explorer

Will keep you posted

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Only water expands when it freezes. Everything else continues to contract as it freezes.
Silicon, bismuth, gallium and antimony all expand when they freeze. Gallium is neat to play with, it melts at around 86F. But, because it expands when it freezes, you have to be careful of what you store it in.

You can make interesting crystals with bismuth in a household oven. Proper precautions (ventilation, mostly) should be taken.