cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning to tow a 2013 Subaru Crostrek

miller2540
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed a 2005 Saturn Ion for 10 years and am preparing a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek to tow. I know that a standard transmission can be towed but do not know if I need to have a key in the ignition or if I have to pull any fuses to keep the battery from running down as I did with the Ion. Can the Crosstrek be towed without a key in the ignition and do I have to pull any fuses? Any information you can give will certainly be appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

Al_Fresco
Explorer
Explorer
The following is how the key works in my 2013 manual transmission Crosstrek:

Insert the key in the Lock position and turn to the ACC position. Radio and related devices are powered and the steering wheel does not lock.

Turn the key back approx. 1/3 turn toward the lock position. Key hits a stop. Radio and related devices are powered and the steering wheel does not lock.

Push in the key and carefully turn it back another approx. 1/3 turn. The key hits a soft stop. Radio and related devices are not powered and the steering wheel does not lock.

Turn the key to the Lock position. Radio and related devices are not powered and the steering wheel does not lock.

Pull the key out of the ignition and the steering wheel locks.

The operator's manual says to tow the car with the key in the ACC position. From my experience, it appears that any of the positions would work so long as the key is in the ignition. Nonetheless, I think it best to use the ACC position as recommended in the manual in order to avoid any unforeseen problems.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, you tow with the key in ACC with the electronics/radio powered. I will tow with the key in the OFF position with the electronics/radio not powered. If I accidentally go as far as ACC, I will turn it back to OFF. YMMV
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
On the road now towing in acc position. Let's just make this simple, look at ignition switch and turn key to the clearly marked acc position. End of problem. Grumpy

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grumpy374 wrote:
OK everyone, read---important---understand!!!
Key into ignition---nothing will happen>
Turn to FIRST CLICK / POSITION. THIS IS THE ACC POSITION.
The second position is everything is on, and will run your battery down. The second position is where the key returns to after you release it after starting the engine.
The first position is called the acc position because it allows you to turn on radio, ect. But the car itself is not powered up.
The FIRST ACC position is where you want it to be. This unlocks the steering gear so the front wheels will turn and track with the rv.
Grumpy

This is wrong.

Key in ignition, steering wheel still locked.
Turn 1 click, steering wheel unlocked, but NOTHING electrical activated.
Turn 2 clicks, this is the ACC position
Turn 3 clicks, this is RUN.
Turn 4 clicks, this is START.

The third position is where the key returns after you release it when starting the car.

If your Subaru works like you describe, it is the only one I have ever seen or heard of that does.

ON EDIT:

I think I know what you are doing. The first click is much less noticeable than the second click. Try this. When you get to what you THINK is the first click (the ACC position) try turning the key back towards "off" WITHOUT pushing in on it. If it turns back a click then stops, but is still locked in where you can't pull it out, you are just not feeling the first click.
Bobbo and Lin

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
OK everyone, read---important---understand!!!
Key into ignition---nothing will happen>
Turn to FIRST CLICK / POSITION. THIS IS THE ACC POSITION.
The second position is everything is on, and will run your battery down. The second position is where the key returns to after you release it after starting the engine.
The first position is called the acc position because it allows you to turn on radio, ect. But the car itself is not powered up.
The FIRST ACC position is where you want it to be. This unlocks the steering gear so the front wheels will turn and track with the rv.
Grumpy

Al_Fresco
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo,

I also turn my key to the first position. I mistakenly thought it was the ACC position. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks also for the tip on locking the doors while using the valet key in the ignition.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Al Fresco wrote:
I recently returned from my first trip (350 miles) towing a 2013 Crosstrek. I used the valet key in the first (ACC position). I was planning on using my other โ€œchippedโ€ key to lock the car doors, but the they would not lock with the valet key in use.

Nonetheless, the car towed very well without any problems using a Ready Brute Elite tow bar and braking system with a 2011 Sunseeker 2300. The stick-shift Crosstrek is a good choice for a toad if some moderate off-road driving is planned. It has a ground clearance similar to that of a Jeep.

I use a regular key while getting the car ready to tow. I have to since I back the car up to lock the tow bars. When I take the regular key out of the ignition, I click the door locks. Then I put the non-starting valet key in the ignition and turn it 1 click, to unlock. The ACC position is 2 clicks and activates stuff that takes battery power.
Bobbo and Lin

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, bought the XV new and it just came with the two regular keys, no valet key. Oh well!!!
I just use the spare regular key, but am in the habit of removing it when we stop and are away from the rig or its out of our sight.
I have a little plaque I made above the drivers visor that says "CHECK SUBI FOR TOWING" so I or wifeie dosen't forget to double check it's ready for towing.
Grumpy

Al_Fresco
Explorer
Explorer
I recently returned from my first trip (350 miles) towing a 2013 Crosstrek. I used the valet key in the first (ACC position). I was planning on using my other โ€œchippedโ€ key to lock the car doors, but the they would not lock with the valet key in use.

Nonetheless, the car towed very well without any problems using a Ready Brute Elite tow bar and braking system with a 2011 Sunseeker 2300. The stick-shift Crosstrek is a good choice for a toad if some moderate off-road driving is planned. It has a ground clearance similar to that of a Jeep.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grumpy374 wrote:
Miller, we also tow a 2013 Subi Crosstrek. Towed it about 5000 miles so far with no problems at all.
The procedure for towing is...
Trans in neutral.
Emergency brake off.
Key in the ignition, turned to the FIRST position. This unlocks the steering but does not power the car up.
Thats it, your set to go. No fuses to pull and there is no restriction as to speed or distance you can tow.
I keep the main key on the same ring that the motorhome key is on and use the spare Subi key in the ignition when towing.
For info, I'm very fimilar with Subie's--the XV is my 3 rd and wife is on her 3 rd Outback. Great little suv's and wagons. Can't beat em for relibility and long term use.
Grumpy

Follow Grump374's procedure. It is the right one.

I wanted a spare key to keep in the RV in case of lost car keys, and I wanted a key that would not start the car for use during towing. If some scumbag breaks the window and tries to steal the car while we are parked, it won't start. I went to Subaru and bought another key. When they coded that key to the car, I did not give them the valet key to code back in. Now, DW has a key, I have a key, a spare key lives in the RV, and the valet key is the non-starting towing key.

And yes, when we bought the Subaru, we got 2 regular keys and a valet key. The valet key will not open the locked pocket of the car.
Bobbo and Lin

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We use a valet key. It came with the car.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what valet key your refering to. Both my keys are the electronic that are "chipped" to the ignition. Never got a valet key , and if you have one it's probably just a regular key.
Grumpy

miller2540
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. Do any of you use a valet key or do you keep the key in the ignition that has the lock/unlock capability?

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys, but I'll keep turning the key to first position and leave it there. Owners manual has those instructions, and I talked with a Subi factory techie at the Subi plant years ago, and that is the proper way to set a Subi up to tow. Not just the Crosstrek, but any manual tranny Subi.
From page 9-15 in the 2013 Subi Crosstrek Owners Manual, towing with all 4 wheels on the ground----
1. Release emergengy brake. Put the transmission in neutral position.
2. Ignition switch should be in the "acc" position while the vehicle is being towed.
3. Take up slack in the towline slowely to avoid damage to the vehicle.
Warning Notice---Never turn the ignition switch to the "lock" position while the vehicle is being towed because the steering wheel and the direction of the wheels will be locked.
Grumpy