cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pls help - My black tank level is incorrect

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My black tank level is incorrect . It always shows 3/4 full . I do not plan to fix it as I know it is a common problem. I just wanted to ask the experts here . How to you know (or guess) when it is time to dump the tank without looking at the level indicator ?

thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
If you use your rig a lot you will pretty much just know when it is getting full. But if nothing else when it gets full you will know when you flush. It is a pretty simple system. It may burp a little when you flush when it is real full. Eventually you will actually see the contents coming up the 3 inch line, hard to miss. Of course you want it to be at least 2/3 full when you dump so there is enough liquid to get rid of all the solids. Keep in mind the worst than can happen is you could end up with a little in the bowl. Not a crisis.

You must not have a flush kit installed.

We hook up the drain hose to the dump station, pull the slide valve for the black tank, allow to empty, then close the slide valve. Then pull the slide valve for the grey tank, allow that water to chase out the black waste in the hose. then close the grey tank valve.

to flush the black tank, we simply hook up a water hose to the flushing fitting and partially fill the black tank then empty again. repeat as required to insure the tanks flushed out.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech , We have a Winnebago 24F C . thanks

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
What type of RV do you have?
The reason for asking is, in many trailers and motorhomes, you can look down the toilet and see the liquid level. that makes it easy to check the level.
In some, that cannot be done due to the height of the toilet above the tank, and sometimes there is even bends in the pipe. In most of those, the toilet will "burp" when flushed, showing the tank is full.
With experience, you will know how long you and your family can go before dumping the tank is needed. For instance, when we were full-timing, I knew that in about a week or 10 days, the tank would be full enough to be dumped. I wanted it to be more than 1/2 full, but not completely full, then I would dump a bucket or two of water down the toilet with the valve open to rinse it. I never checked the gauges, I knew they would lie to me.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably not a rig over 6 months old that does not show 3/4 full. Don't worry about it, the grey tank will fill a long time before the black tank.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
If you use your rig a lot you will pretty much just know when it is getting full. But if nothing else when it gets full you will know when you flush. It is a pretty simple system. It may burp a little when you flush when it is real full. Eventually you will actually see the contents coming up the 3 inch line, hard to miss. Of course you want it to be at least 2/3 full when you dump so there is enough liquid to get rid of all the solids. Keep in mind the worst than can happen is you could end up with a little in the bowl. Not a crisis.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!