cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable air compressor

Camper117
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F250 with airbags. I'm looking for a portable air compressor that I can run off the auxiliary AC outlet in the cab of my truck (it's labeled as having a 115 watt capacity). I want something small to air up the bags off the truck's power so I don't have to run extension cords to my existing compressor, which is too large for the truck to run. Does anyone have any suggestions?
25 REPLIES 25

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camper117 wrote:
It takes 70 psi to get my truck leveled out. Not sure if the capacity of different types of inflators.

WOW I bet that makes for a nice ride!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
I use one from Lowes...runs on both AC or DC. Does a good job on both the tires and the bags. As mentioned, the bags don't seem to take much volume.

Gary

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
There are some GOOD 12V compressors used by off-road guys to chnage tire pressure. Nor cheap, but they are durable. Google "12v off road air compressor"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
What do you think is getting worn out, gaskets in the pump cylinder?

Gordon - Don't know... It still works - purrs away.... Just notice it is slow bringing up the air pressure. no leaks I can see anywhere...

The compressor side gets really hot after running for several minutes...

I used on my truck tires a couple of weeks ago. It has those tire pressure monitors on it and when the cold sanp hit us I started getting 'LOW PRESSURE' displayed on my console. Went around all of tires using the MV50. Cold weather lowers the tire pressure i guess... All ok now with the console monitor....

I've used this tankless compressor on my JEEP outings as well... Been real handy to have around. It is a Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow High-Volume 12-Volt Air Compressor (AMAZON)

It sits under my rear seat in my truck. Has a nice tote bag that comes with it...

I'm king of the camp ground when the kids find out I gots a air compressor... Sometimes they are lined up getting their bike tires aired up hehe...

Google Images

I use one of these Air Adapters on my city water port to blow out my water lines in my OFF-ROAD camper...

Google Image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MrWizard
115w
1 amp at 115v
I have the same compressor above that Roy had
12v the fuse is either 20 amp or 30 amp, connects to the battery via it's one cables with alligator clamps
200 / 300 watts

Any 120v compressor you buy will be too big for that outlet you have

A quick Google search says that outlet is 115v 400 Watts
But most 120v compressor have a high start surge that exceeds that amount

Note if you had the gmc? Truck with the bed mounted outlet for power tools, that might work
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think is getting worn out, gaskets in the pump cylinder?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry one of these MV50 12VDC Tankless Air Compressor since around 2008... I got mine from AMAZON... Have seen them in Northern Tool... It used to air up tires pretty good but I guess it is getting worn out now. It would take a very long time to air up a 120lb tire now...

Google Image

If I was going to get serious about airing up high pressure tires I would use a 120VAC tank model air compressor... My tankless 12VDC model is great for keeping tires aired up and filling tubes for going down the streams etc.. Also great for doing my real quick winterizing for my off-road POPUP trailer. Just takes a few minutes to blow out all of the water in the water lines. Also great for airing up my air mattress when in camping mode...

Should work great keeping the air lifts up...

The MV-50 has battery clamps and I set it on the tailgate of my truck and clip into the trailer batteries on the tongue then I can walk around all the tires on the truck and the trailer...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
I use a bicycle pump on mine. A friend uses a 12v Air Compressor from Harbor Freight. But it's easier by hand or with air compressor if you air up the bags before you hook up the trailer and then bleed them down to whatever air pressure you need to level out your truck & trailer. When airing up before hooking up, you will probably only need around 50psi as the psi will go up once the trailer load is on them. If you don't have one already, get you a good digital air gauge.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
get one that clips to your battery. that cockpit outlet is next to worthless. even my 90w laptop charger caused it to shutdown (ram 1500, outlet was rated at 150w)
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Camper117
Explorer
Explorer
It takes 70 psi to get my truck leveled out. Not sure if the capacity of different types of inflators.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
115 watts is not much. You're basically talking about a little inflator, and a 12V one that plugs into the lighter socket would probably work just as well.

If these airbags are at all like ride-rite helper springs, they don't take much air at all, so a little inflator would be perfectly adequate. An old-fashioned bicycle pump is also perfectly reasonable; it only takes a few strokes generally. Neither one is particularly useful for inflating truck tires in any sort of reasonably quick time.