cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Center/Converter Recommendations

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm doing a very small Truck Camper Resto-Mod, so there is extremely limited space for extra gadgets. But I want a little modernity in this 1968 vintage unit, thus the Mod part. Doing 30 amp inlet. Minimal electrical needs, but hard to describe because that's a little bit subjective. I think a 35-40 amp unit will be plenty good.

I bought a WFCO 35 amp Power Center, all in one. The AC breaker box, the DC circuit breakers, the converter, the three stage battery charger.

Am told it will hardly ever get into bulk charge mode, but I see lots of good reviews on the unit! Others say too bad I got it, should have picked an IOTA or Progressive Dynamics. But it appears most of those are converter only and I'd have to assemble all the other components separately.

Am told those units are great reviews, but again, the reviews I read on WFCO was pretty great too. What gives? Anybody have ideas for a reasonably price power center for my smaller needs?
16 REPLIES 16

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you aren't going to be charging your batteries from a generator, the time it takes to get a reasonable charge is likely of only secondary importance at best. The WFCO may not be the very best available, and others better for at least some situations, but it may well be perfectly adequate for your needs and a good overall tradeoff in terms of size and convenience of installation. I don't see any real reason to avoid it particularly since you have already bought it if you aren't planning to go off the grid for long periods of timeโ€”and even if you are, a solar setup would likely be of at least as much value as replacing it with some other unit.

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
WFCO isn't the BEST one, but it is a good one. I had a PD fail on the road two or three years ago and could only get a WFCO. I stuck it in and its been doing fine ever since. Go ahead with the WFCO. It will be just fine. If down the road you wish to change (I did not say upgrade) to another brand of converter, quite a few have the same physical dimensions and fit in the bottom half of the load center with some mounting holes and wiring to modify.
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser