cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pr0perty tax charge on RV Site

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this is new to me. I've been located at an RV park in NC for about 1 1/2 years and received a property tax bill from Henderson County. I called the tax office and was told the tax applies to all RV trailers, the same as for manufactured homes. This applies to all of North Carolina. So, in addition to RV space rent one has to expect an additional bill for property tax. I've stayed at places all over the country and have never heard of such a thing. I suppose I got hit with the bill due to my extended stay at this park, but I've stayed at other RV parks for an extended length of time and was never hit with this tax before. Might just be a North Carolina "thing". What about you?
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
32 REPLIES 32

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
I'm just across the border from NC in SC. RV's are taxed as property tax and not vehicle tax like trucks/cars. NC is the same as us in that regard.

Not quite true:

I am looking at my TT bill that I just paid. The name of the form is " NC Combined Vehicle Registration Renewal and Property Tax". Cost are broken down as follows: 1- " Vehicle Property Tax Information" and 2-"Vehicle Registration / Inspection Information"

There are 2 amounts on the bill, " Property Tax" and Registration Fee"

So they actually call the tax a Vehicle Property Tax. It is now combined with State Registration and in order to renew a registration you have to pay the Personal Property / Vehicle Property tax at the same time.

Have no idea what they would or could do with out of State registered Vehicles, although I there is a DMV requirement if you move to NC that you register your vehicle in NC within 30 days of you current states expiration. So I guess it would depend on whether you are a " resident" of NC according to the State laws.

Correct...our motorhome (and the TT before that), utility trailer, cars and home are all taxed based on property value. I live in the county and not within any city limits. My property tax rate is some where between .5-.6%. The tax amount is based on the value that the county (or municipality put on it). They include the registration with the tax payment as well. You used to get two different bills. One for registration and then 3 months later for the tax. They are combined now. If we were to move into, lets say Charlotte city limits, then our taxes would double. Hence why we live where we do.

I would guess that since you have been living in the state for a year and half, then they are going to tax you accordingly. It also may depend on where you are at. There is a place west of charlotte (think it's kings mountain or close to it) that has changed things due to traveling workers. Before, they could not legally stay in one place more than a month. I believe they changed the local ordinance to a year. I will try and see if I can find the article.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this discussion is now a moot point. I just sold the unit to the original manufacturer an it was towed off the lot last week.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Minnow, Just be careful. In NC, many years ago, I once was stopped at a roadside license check. Police noticed my sticker was expired. I told him it was sitting on my desk at home ( I was about an hour from home ) and showed him where it had been paid for. Mind you this guy was a real Butthead. He said I'm not going to charge you with not being registered, I'm charging you with not displaying the sticker/registration!

I checked and it was a legit charge although not used much. No driver or insurance points. Not worth taking a day off work and taking my chances with the Judge so I just paid it. So you may want to visit DMV...

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I grew up in Daytona , a city of 60 thousand people , The city most of the time must provide the services to over 400 thousand people . You can see how local governments must raise revenue any place they can . All " resort " destinations must ! Even places like Disney are incorporated as cities so as to raise revenue , as if Disney needed more .
Even Daytona International Speedway is not owned by Nascar but is owned by a municipal corp with taxing authority !

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
I'm just across the border from NC in SC. RV's are taxed as property tax and not vehicle tax like trucks/cars. NC is the same as us in that regard.

Not quite true:

I am looking at my TT bill that I just paid. The name of the form is " NC Combined Vehicle Registration Renewal and Property Tax". Cost are broken down as follows: 1- " Vehicle Property Tax Information" and 2-"Vehicle Registration / Inspection Information"

So they actually call the tax a Vehicle Property Tax. It is now combined with State Registration and in order to renew a registration you have to pay the Personal Property / Vehicle Property tax at the same time.

Have no idea what they would or could do with out of State registered Vehicles, although I there is a DMV requirement if you move to NC that you register your vehicle in NC within 30 days of you current states expiration. So I guess it would depend on whether you are a " resident" of NC according to the State laws.

OK, good to know. Here in SC, on vehicles, once you pay the personal property tax bill, the county will send this information to state DMV who will then issue a sticker for the license plate which they send to you in the mail. On my RV, it's a property tax (not vehicle tax) and the county said I would have to take the paid receipt to a DMV office and get a sticker. I think I'll just take the paid receipt with me and if I get stopped I have proof of the payment. Not really interested in standing in a 2 hour line at DMV just for a sticker.

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
May be you can get a none opp status for your RV since you do not tow on the states roadway. Could stop the tax.

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
NC has a property tax on all vehicles registered in the state. Did you register your MH in NC? I suppose if you've been there a year and a half, you probably count as a resident.

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/moving/

No, my fiver is registered in South Dakota.

He has been there for a year and half! By law he was supposed to register there where it is at after a certain amount of time. The state found away to tax people whom do not register in there state after a required amount of time. Sounds legal to me

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
Sorry to say, you are considered a NC resident based on your extended stay. An NC drivers license and payment of additional taxes are probably in your future

The only reason I'm here this long is due to a sudden illness that has prevented me from moving on. I'm usually in Southern AZ this time of year, but couldn't make it due to the circumstances. Anyhow, the tax bill wasn't too large (about $130), and my fiver is being moved out of state this week, so I'm not going to be concerned about it.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

Not quite true:

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
PP taxes are not that uncommon. You can bet they know how long you have been there through utility service or whatever. You've got to pay.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The camp grounds are probably required to notify the state or pay the taxes themselves.
Puma 30RKSS

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
When we were seasonal in New Hampshire we had to pay tax on the trailer. Part of the seasonal agreement stated that we needed to register at the town office with out lot number etc. the town would then go through the campground once or twice a year. Not sure what happened to those who did not file the paperwork. Tax bill was twice a year and based on sq footage, # of bathroom and estimated value of unit. Bill was about $6-700 a year. It was tax deductible though.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just across the border from NC in SC. RV's are taxed as property tax and not vehicle tax like trucks/cars. NC is the same as us in that regard. What I don't know however is how does NC know your RV is in NC if it is registered in another state ? In SC the state knows because when you register the RV for a plate/tag, they send that information to the county which then sends a property tax bill.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
A state or local government must provide services { fire , police , EMT,et al } even if you are not a full time resident . I presume the county thinks that you should help pay for that service . We do not have to like it but we must pay or run !
No argument there, but fire, police and EMT are paid for by real estate taxes and sales taxes. The campground is surely paying the real estate taxes. The campground presumably charges the renters enough to cover all their costs, including real estate taxes. OP also pays the same sales tax as every other resident in the state -- maybe more in the form of accommodations taxes that most don't pay.

The only issue it the property tax and I don't know how much of the budget it is and what the purpose of the personal property tax is. I'm guessing his bill was far less than $200.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`