Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Premium gas

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Evening all,

Not looking to start a debate about premium vs regular gas.

While at the gas station today, I noticed the cost of premium gas was about 75cents more than regular. Seems the last time I paid any attention to the price of premium it was something like 20 or 30 cents more than regular.

75 cents seems a little ridiculous to me.

What gives?
38 REPLIES 38

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Interesting, never read the owners manual in the 2 I had (company trucks). Always fed them the cheep stuff. Wonder what the power difference is?
I know, in the wife's SRT, the engine handles low octane well, but it probably pulls about 50hp worth of timing out of it. Big difference seat of the pants with that engine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought this truck (Ford 6.2L) I really didn't expect that it would need premium under any circumstances, and it may not really, but the manual recommends premium for towing and/or hot weather (funny they don't say what "hot weather" is) so since it is still new (warranty) and it is hot and I will be towing

I got my interest peaked and just went thru the 2012 owners guide checking on the above subject. Maybe went too fast but did not find that info. It does indicate that you should not get below 87 though and not to flip flop back and forth between E85 and E10.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Dtank wrote:
bob213 wrote:
In the Moonbeam State .....

- and why is it the "Moonbeam" State??

Origin - source - of the term??

:h

Way back when Jerry Brown, the gov of Ca had a girlfriend at the time (Linda Ronstadt) who called him "Moonbeam". It was her pet name for him. A reporter interview her and she told him that. It was told to the reporter in confidence but the he reported it anyway.

He regretted reporting it and even told people to stop using the term. Too late, because it stuck to this day.

And now you know the rest of the story about "Moon Beam" Jerry.

The term 'Governor Moonbeam' was coined by the late Chicago Columnist Mike Royko.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
First of all, make sure you really need it. There's no advantage to using premium in a motor designed for regular 87 octane. Just as an aside, I wouldn't buy a vehicle requiring premium because many proven, powerful engines recommend only 87 octane. Especially true with cars but I don't know how many trucks or SUVs recommend premium.

When I bought this truck (Ford 6.2L) I really didn't expect that it would need premium under any circumstances, and it may not really, but the manual recommends premium for towing and/or hot weather (funny they don't say what "hot weather" is) so since it is still new (warranty) and it is hot and I will be towing, I figure I'll go with what they say.

Not driving enough to worry about the cost, and as soon as the weather cools down, I can go back to regular anyway.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov: Technically you may be right. Mine is an o8 Grand touring and the manual says premium is recomended. It says you can use 87 or higher but engine performance will suffer and you will likely experience engine knocking. There is even a sticker in the gas tank cap that says 93 octane is recommended. I will err on the side of caution. Don't like engine knocking and enjoy the performance.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:

My mx5 Maxda requires 93 octane but the tank only holds about 12 gallons, it gets 30-35 mpg, and I omly drive it about 3000 miles per year. So it doesn't hurt too much ๐Ÿ™‚

You mean a Miata? What year? My wife has one (2010 I think), and it doesn't require premium.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
bob213 wrote:

Way back when Jerry Brown, the gov of Ca had a girlfriend at the time (Linda Ronstadt) who called him "Moonbeam". It was her pet name for him. A reporter interview her and she told him that. It was told to the reporter in confidence but the he reported it anyway.

He regretted reporting it and even told people to stop using the term. Too late, because it stuck to this day.

And now you know the rest of the story about "Moon Beam" Jerry.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
My premium car requires premium gas. Premium here is .80 a gallon more. I've tried running regular but mileage and performance drops drastically. I've figured cost per mile with the poorer mileage regular and premium with the better mileage and the price per mile is a wash. I guess they figure that people who own cars that require premium will pay the price.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

There must be 16.5 million dumb people in the US. :B
(I personally think there is more than that but that's a whole different story.)

NO let's see 48% of 127 Million is 62 Million.

DO not ask where I got those numbers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, make sure you really need it. There's no advantage to using premium in a motor designed for regular 87 octane. Just as an aside, I wouldn't buy a vehicle requiring premium because many proven, powerful engines recommend only 87 octane. Especially true with cars but I don't know how many trucks or SUVs recommend premium.
Jayco-noslide

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
My ecoboost does get about 1.5 to 2 mpg better with premium so that does help with the price difference. I only use premium when towing.

My mx5 Maxda requires 93 octane but the tank only holds about 12 gallons, it gets 30-35 mpg, and I omly drive it about 3000 miles per year. So it doesn't hurt too much ๐Ÿ™‚

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
In the Moonbeam State small engine shops(lawnmowers, edgers etc.) recommended premium since it was the only one of the three grades that did not contain ethanol. Now you can't find fuel without ethanol so its back to regular. Now the shops are recommending canned gas for the homeowner who doesn't use much. A gardener could never afford going with that since it's about $4.50 a qt.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buying premium isn't near as bad as buying gas with no corn or suger cane in it (ethanol). That stuffs going for like $.50-.75 over premium. And somehow even though gas prices are low, race gas keeps going up. Gave $10/gal for the cheap stuff (Trick 112) this past winter. I use it sparingly. Luckily only have 1 machine that needs a little more than just pump gas.
(Had only used about a gal out of a 5 gal can this winter when the wife ran out of gas in her car. She called a friend to bring gas. He managed to grab the only can of $10/gal gas in the shop! Car got 4 gal and $40 worth of gas to get her the mile to the gas station! Lol. Worst part, it didn't even smell good like race fuel coming out the other end. Darn emissions!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold