cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Question

hybridmom
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 20lb tanks on my 17 ft. hybrid. We don't like cooking inside the trailer and would like to be able to run a hose to the side of the trailer from the tanks, or one of the tanks to use on the stove.

How can I do this? The two tanks are currently attached to a splitter with the knob to pick which side you want to use first. I have been just disconnecting one side but I notice that some propane escapes until the pressure is up in the hose and sometimes takes a few minutes so it doesn't seem too safe. Is there a way to cap that side. We don't camp for too long at a time so I'm ok with the trailer only having access to 1 tank.

Can I remove the second pigtail and cap it somehow? Or any other idea is appreciated. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

hybridmom
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Why not just hook the hose for the grill to one tank and the trailer to the other with the changeover valve turned to the the tank the trailer is hooked up to. Keep it simple.

B.O.

Unfortunately the valve will leak propane even it turned to the attached side. It leaks until the pressure is high enough I think. But it doesn't seem too safe.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not just hook the hose for the grill to one tank and the trailer to the other with the changeover valve turned to the the tank the trailer is hooked up to. Keep it simple.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Pbois334
Explorer
Explorer
I just removd the regulator from my small weber grill and attatched a quick connect propane fitting into the the trailers propane line to run my grill off of the two 20lb trailer tanks. Works well

hybridmom
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
hybridmom wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Between the tank and the regulator. Then you have full pressure to your outside appliance which probably has it's own regulator.

This is basically what my tanks look like. I don't think the brass 3 port piece will fit between the tank and regulator. Is there a different one, maybe with a short hose?

***Link Removed*** or ***Link Removed*** the Pol end will screw into the cylinder vale end (left hand threaded) and your acme nut will connect to the other end.

Thank you, thank you! This looks perfect! I have been searching forever for the right thing. Thanks so much!!

GACamper
Explorer
Explorer
When you say stove? Is it a high pressure cook stove or a low pressure cook stove.
That will determine what type of connection and where you need to make the connection.
One option you can do is purchase a small LP Tank Capacity: 2.6 gallon. It's small and easy to store away. Using it on the camp stove it will last you a good while for cooking.
Personally I don't like cooking close to the camper. I've seen what a grease fire can do.
2013 Montana 3800RE
RV FlexArmor sprayed RV roof..Big Improvement!
A/C, Color TV and a Microwave...Isn't Nature Great?
04.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 5.9L

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
hybridmom wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Between the tank and the regulator. Then you have full pressure to your outside appliance which probably has it's own regulator.

This is basically what my tanks look like. I don't think the brass 3 port piece will fit between the tank and regulator. Is there a different one, maybe with a short hose?

Try this one or this one. the Pol end will screw into the cylinder vale end (left hand threaded) and your acme nut will connect to the other end.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want high pressure you have to tie in before the regulator, and then you will only get gas from one of the tanks. If you are willing to get low pressure propane and remove the regulator from your grill, you can tie into the propane line anywhere after the regulator with a quick connect fitting.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

hybridmom
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Link works for me. Camco RV Propane 3-Port Brass Tee with 12' Hose. at walmart
Dennis Hoppert

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

hybridmom
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
This>>>>>***Link Removed***

Thanks! I don't quite understand how this works. Does it attach between the pigtail and the 20lb tank? And then the capped end is for the extension hose?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
This>>>>>LINK CLICKY

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro