cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using golf carts around RV parks

MOWERMAN47164
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking of buying a toy hauler & a golf cart, will we be able to use the cart in enough places to warrant spending on these only to not be able to use the cart enough?
52 REPLIES 52

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You might explore the western boondocking spots thoroughly before visiting. I would say they will be accessed via gravel roads - sometimes rough and mostly dusty..
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
dandubois3360 wrote:
They should have a thread for folks who hate golf carts. In any case my wife has MS and uses a walker and expect soon to be in wheel chair. She is not fat and extra walking is not going to cure her... The idea of her on a bike is humorous at best and would be short lived. So after ignoring most of these posts a few did provide some important info for us that we appreciate since I
was leaning towards a gas golf cart. I also would think its going to help to get it licensed as well... I liked the gas option since we hope to go out west an boondock as well and I would thing the gas powered ones would be better..

Good morning. Although I think in the long run you would prefer electric my recommendation would be you contact the parks your planning on visiting. More and more parks are not allowing gas carts just because of the stink and the noise. There are no pollution controls on them and it is obvious within a hundred meters. I have read that MS can sometimes cause breathing problems. A gas cart may cause her discomfort. We had a licenseable electric cart so they are out there. 3 point seat belts and signal lights etc.

Best of luck to you and your bride. Stay safe on the road.

John and Angela.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

dandubois3360
Explorer
Explorer
They should have a thread for folks who hate golf carts. In any case my wife has MS and uses a walker and expect soon to be in wheel chair. She is not fat and extra walking is not going to cure her... The idea of her on a bike is humorous at best and would be short lived. So after ignoring most of these posts a few did provide some important info for us that we appreciate since I
was leaning towards a gas golf cart. I also would think its going to help to get it licensed as well... I liked the gas option since we hope to go out west an boondock as well and I would thing the gas powered ones would be better..

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
Instead of a golf cart, think about a pair of Segways to get around. Unless you are on the coasts, there are very few rules about them. We had a state park ranger remind us of the "not golf cart" rules. I suggested he show me the rules pertaining to Segways. We went on our way. He didn't bother us again. And if your handy capped, you can ride a Segway any place you can take a wheel chair.

Richard & Michele
His & Hers Segways

Not completely true.
Under the redone Dept. of Justice rules, Segways and โ€œother power-driven mobility devicesโ€ CANNOT be used within Congressionally designated Wilderness Areas, although wheelchairs can be. Reference link

And the appropriate term is person with a disability. Less appropriate is handicapped, but certainly not "handy capped."

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We have a golf cart and have only seen a handful of places that will allow them so far. Only one have been to. You may be subject to certain requirements to include insurance on the golf cart. If you are willing to just go to parks that allow them, then you will be limiting yourself to some great other parks. WE like ours and we use it everyday tp take our daughter to the school bus stop and to pick her up. But in the 5 years we have owned it, we have only taken it to an rv park twice. I would save my money on the golf cart and toy hauler. Put that money into a nicer 5er and/or tow vehicle.

if you feel inclined to ride around on one, then rent one at the parks.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
My son is a disabled vet and can not walk much distance. He has a toy hauler and takes a golf cart to help him get around. He has never stayed anywhere he could not use it.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of a golf cart, think about a pair of Segways to get around. Unless you are on the coasts, there are very few rules about them. We had a state park ranger remind us of the "not golf cart" rules. I suggested he show me the rules pertaining to Segways. We went on our way. He didn't bother us again. And if your handy capped, you can ride a Segway any place you can take a wheel chair.

Richard & Michele
His & Hers Segways
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
My brother has a seasonal site, where they allow electric only golfcarts, that must be operated by a licensed driver and must have insurance.

The biggest problem with electric carts is...you have to pay attention cause you can't hear them coming. Which is exactly what I like. I can't stand places that allow gas powered carts...they stink, some blow smoke, and it is like listening to a swarm of lawn mowers, ALL DAY LONG

OP...I sometimes take a small 50cc scooter. Top speed 45mph, which quicky slows to 2oish on the slightest hill. Street legal in all 50 states, requires no special license in Pennsylvania (I have motorcycle endorsement, wife does not)can be driven at any park for a quick trip to the camp store, or even off site for a trip to town if one is close enough. Takes up less room than a golfcart or a smart car.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I was going to see a flame war....almost.

My personal experience with golf carts in SOME parks is that Rockhill is correct. Many people use the golf cart for socializing, taking children for rides, all the while they park in the roadway or block traffic.

My last encounter as I was entering the park with my rig to my site there was a golf cart in front of me, they would stop and say something to folks going by and get going again, they knew I was there behind them, I kept a safe distance from them to keep from being obnoxious.

Then they pulled to the side but not off the pavement and got out to talk to the folks in that site, they expected me to go off the asphalt and go around them with not much clearance between them and numbering post to my right, there were deep ruts off the pavement since it has been raining heavily week or so before. You can see my trailer swaying back and forth as I kept moving. What I should have done was to ask them to move it but felt like I was making too much about a small thing.

Later on that night it was literally a parade over and over until darkness came. The golf carts were not quiet, I can hear them coming and going. I see them get in and go 100 feet to talk with their neighbors. It seemed like a status symbol for them.

Frankly I have no issue with golf carts, especially for those who have a disability or have a need to carry stuff from the camp store or use it as transportation where there is distance; but I dislike the use where it blocks the roads or expects other vehicles to get out of their way.

You may add this to the list of emotional topics like tires, campfires and etcetera.

Again, not trying to start a flame war but I believe there needs to be an awareness that folks come to a campground for peace and quiet, and use them responsibly.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Golf carts are fine if you really need one but to let the kids play with them or drive in a parade continuously is ridiculous and annoying. It's even hard to walk in parks with the carts running around.

X10!
Most use the carts as a babysitter for their kids.
They throw the kids on the golf carts first thing in the morning and they drive around the CG all day and night running into people walking, run into the dogs fellow campers are walking, and running up on peoples sites etc.

Do these people ruin it for the rest? Yes. The few CG's I stayed at that allowed golf carts that IS what went on ALL day and ALL night.

I now will not stay at a CG that allows golf carts.

You're never going to visit another Florida/Georgia State park? How sad. My experience is that cart use in Florida State parks has been done quite nicely with no problems that I've encountered, and I'm a frequent user of the FSP system.

I normally don't stay in State Parks. But when I first crossed the Georgia/Florida border I thought I'd try them out.

The only one I went to was outside Leesburg and wow the rates where pretty high for really small and hard to get into sites. Was told that since Florida was a destination haven for the snowbirds I would find those high rates all over. And bugs where REALLY bad. So, I didn't try any others in Florida.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Let's say I'm staying at a larger campground and need to go up to the camp store and grab a bag of ice (or you fill in the blank). I can hop in my 1 ton diesel truck that's loud, large, and riddled with blind spots. Or I can take my small, quiet and relatively slow golf cart. Which should I choose? Imagine answering that question while envisioning your children playing around the campground, walking the trails, riding bikes, etc. Sure, sometimes kids on golf carts and play around a little and act seemingly irresponsible. But I'll take the kid on the golf cart way ahead the guy that's been drinking all day who climb's in his truck to go fetch that bag of ice.

Of all the campgrounds we've visited (most of which allow golf carts), I've never been bothered by anyone's usage of golf carts. In my lifetime, I've actually had more close encounters of a serious nature with people on bicycles than carts.

As a kid, we used to ride our bicycles in the most irresponsible way possible. As fast as we could peddle, running into each other, jumping off of them while they're still going, etc. Let's not get upset because kids these days have access to cooler toys than we had ๐Ÿ˜‰
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Should you want a golf cart and use it responsibly it's fine by me.

I'm most comfy with a bike for getting around yet to each his/her own.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
We traded our DP and bought a small Toy Hauler to cut down on expense and haul our new EZ-GO TXT gas golfcart and our new kayak. We stay at state parks for the most part using our golf cart to get around. It is also equipped to haul our kayak to the water.

My camping pal has a sweet set up.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Golf carts are fine if you really need one but to let the kids play with them or drive in a parade continuously is ridiculous and annoying. It's even hard to walk in parks with the carts running around.

X10!
Most use the carts as a babysitter for their kids.
They throw the kids on the golf carts first thing in the morning and they drive around the CG all day and night running into people walking, run into the dogs fellow campers are walking, and running up on peoples sites etc.

Do these people ruin it for the rest? Yes. The few CG's I stayed at that allowed golf carts that IS what went on ALL day and ALL night.

I now will not stay at a CG that allows golf carts.

You're never going to visit another Florida/Georgia State park? How sad. My experience is that cart use in Florida State parks has been done quite nicely with no problems that I've encountered, and I'm a frequent user of the FSP system.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)