cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Proposed HUD rule on RV USE Definition

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There was an article on Yahoo News this morning regarding a proposed change in the definition of the use of Vehicular Homes(RVs). It appears to be designation changes for under 400 sq. ft. Link to article below;

Clicky

It appears to me to be a foothold in changing the Tax Code regarding the deduction of interest paid on motor homes under the Second Home Rule. It sounds like it will effect all motor homes purchased before the rule is passed by the HUD regulatory Board.

Your Opinions Please.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
19 REPLIES 19

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The amount of misinformation floating around about this basic rewording of the long standing (1982) HUD RV definition is simply amazing.

As is the number of participants here who don't follow the day to day conversations and then jump in and post the same (mis)information for the 35th time. ๐Ÿ˜ž

As well as replies complaining about reposts when the fact of reposting was already pointed out to OP in the topic thread.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Community Alumni
Not applicable
"Can you just imagine? An RV with no problems?"

HAHAHA! Good one!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:

I'll try harder to read and remember every post on the forums.

That statement is ridiculous and you know it.

Geeze SS, get a life..... :R

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does this part of the HUD RV definition "prohibit" fulltiming in any way?

Designed primarily not for use as a permanent dwelling but as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, travel, or seasonal use.

That's taken exactly from the CURRENT definition that's been in place since 1982. I don't see anything any different in the new wording as proposed, and I don't know of anyone that's decided not to full time because of it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I posted on the previous threads, this is n attempt for HUD to tighten the financial belt who they guarantee home loans to by redefining what is a "house" and what is an "RV." Park Models 400 square feet are the real problem. HUD already will not guarantee a home loan on an RV. AND there is nothing keeping anyone from full timing in an RV. You just can't get a HUD home guaranteed loan to purchase an RV. (but that already exists.) It may also eliminate any possibility of calling an RV a "second home" and subject to tax write off for income tax purposes. But as far as the RV life-style ... I don't see any impact at all.
It won't effect the mortgage deduction either. The IRS and HUD are separate entities. The IRS definition for a second home is clear. Many Boats qualify, many RVs qualify and it is possible to build something over 400 sq. Feet that does not qualify (i.e. build a barn for horse on a chunk of land you own, that isn't a second home). This is all about Government insured mortgages and protecting the consumer from being suckered into buying an RV that isn't suitable for full time living. (we can all thank the Tiny Home movement if such a movement really exists and isn't just a product of reality TV for HUD suddenly becoming interested in this.)

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
As with most things the Fed Govt does somehow it will end up costing us money. We can only speculate at this point.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:
OP here, and I am sorry that I don't search the forums for to see if something I am about to post has been posted 45 times before. It appeared to be a new item and I thought it might be of interest because the change of definition may lead to the loss of the second home interest deduction on the federal taxes.

I should have guessed from the cut off date for comments that it was at least 6 months old.

Exactly how does the HUD rule affect RV USE? This ruling has to do with defining what is a "house" and what isn't. It may affect how you can deduct taxes on your RV, maybe, but how would a ruling like that affect how an RV is actually used?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
This is most likely a way that RVIA and RVDA can help the RV industry. If the RV industry was required to maintain more quality standards, like HUD, the consumer may get better RVs. Can you just imagine? An RV with no problems?:B

Could you imagine both the cost and the weight of any RV built to HUD standards? Just take a look at the tiny homes on trailers. A 20' tiny home with an 8K lb. dry weight is listed at $58K. And that dry weight doesn't include the options like a kitchen or bathroom.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:

That statement is ridiculous and you know it.

Just try harder to remember the SUBJECT of things that have been posted before; especially those that show up more than once.

And if a search, for HUD for instance, brings up 50 or more hits, there is a pretty good chance..........
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, and I am sorry that I don't search the forums for to see if something I am about to post has been posted 45 times before. It appeared to be a new item and I thought it might be of interest because the change of definition may lead to the loss of the second home interest deduction on the federal taxes.

I should have guessed from the cut off date for comments that it was at least 6 months old.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
This is most likely a way that RVIA and RVDA can help the RV industry. If the RV industry was required to maintain more quality standards, like HUD, the consumer may get better RVs. Can you just imagine? An RV with no problems?:B

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
I do know that designing RV and mobile home parks will change. Manufacturers and park developers use the strict definitions on what can and cannot happen. We can create "motels on wheels" and the construction standards are not nearly as strict as a standard motel. HUD doesn't like that too much.

All this wording change does is make the difference between RV's and manufactured housing clearer, eliminating the current grey area affecting some park models and potentially some large 5'vers if HUD decided to stop ignoring them. The change codifies that difference instead of it being dependent on the current HUD administration's position on the difference. Basically, under the proposed wording if a manufacturer says its product meets the NFPA 1192 standards for RV's or the ANSI A119.5 standards for park models RV's, it does NOT fall within HUD's jurisdiction. I see nothing there that would change park designs, either RV or manufactured housing. The same basic definition has existed since 1982 as far as the intended purpose of an RV goes, and that does not change with the new clearer wording.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Oh god... Someone make it stop.
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 ๐Ÿ™‚ ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I do know that designing RV and mobile home parks will change. Manufacturers and park developers use the strict definitions on what can and cannot happen. We can create "motels on wheels" and the construction standards are not nearly as strict as a standard motel. HUD doesn't like that too much.