cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchasing a new RV

anniejay
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are about to purchase a Jayco White Hawk, 28RL. At the dealership a week ago we decided on the one we liked and as we were looking it over, I checked the underbelly since it was equipped with a Glacier Package. Since I didn't know what I looking at over the Glacier lining on the side of the trailer without the doors there appeared to be a brown foam on the top of the Glacier lining. I asked the salesperson what it was and he said insulation for a pipe. We have not made full payment on the RV and this has bothered me in the last few days and because of the Memorial Day Weekend dealership is closed. We are due to pick up RV on Wednesday 5/29? Could anyone help me in this matter? I'm thinking even though the RV is 2018 new, something may have been defective. Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends have an older trailer that does not have the 'arctic' package. Our 2017 Laredo does have the arctic package and I most certainly can tell a difference in comfort when the temps are low. As for the foam it helps keep out cold air and keeps the little bit of warm air in along with rodent proofing. Not to worry. NOW, if you notice where it has been CUT and patched with tape then they had to access something to possibly repair it. Things happen and there may come a day when YOU have to have it cut open to access a tank valve or something else.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Ooooooh lala. The Glacier Package. That implies you can park it next to a glacier in January somewhere above the Artic circle and it will be more comfortable than the trailer that does not have the package. Good luck. Nothing but marketing smoke and mirrors.

Marketing hype. There is no industry standard for any of these packages. Meaningless. Might not be more than a decal. Will they guaranty in writing that it will work in a specific cold temp.? I think not.

B.O.

everything sold involves marketing hype. when the salesman asks if you want the $$$ arctic package you should be smart enough to ask what is included so you can determine if it is worth it to you. it is irrelevant that there is no industry standard.
bumpy

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We sure can tell the difference of the dual pane windows vs the single pane windshield and the amount of cold. Huge condensation problem on single pane on the inside in cold weather - none on the dual pane. Well worth any extra money spent. Wouldn't be without them.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Ooooooh lala. The Glacier Package. That implies you can park it next to a glacier in January somewhere above the Artic circle and it will be more comfortable than the trailer that does not have the package. Good luck. Nothing but marketing smoke and mirrors.

Marketing hype. There is no industry standard for any of these packages. Meaningless. Might not be more than a decal. Will they guaranty in writing that it will work in a specific cold temp.? I think not.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
The foam plugs holes around pipes so mice don't get in.

Exactly right. I see rodent proofing as one of the chief benefits of coroplast. The belly of my Coachmen has foam around the low point drains, etc.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
The foam plugs holes around pipes so mice don't get in.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and foam does come in a light brown, think your getting hiped up on nothing,BUT for your peace of mind I,d go head and make them tell you why. get your monies worth out of them. p.s. sales person ain,t gonna no but he,ll dream something up.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a good summary of what the various manufactures have/add in their arctic packages at:

clicky
bumpy

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:

wrong. arctic/cold weather/etc. packages can include a covered bottom, heated tanks, etc.
bumpy

Right. Its all marketing. You can not get the the R values claimed by adding some coroplast, a sheet of foil barrier, and poking a hole in a flex duct run through a cavity. It only works in brochures and on websites. There are very few manufacturers that make a true 4 season product, Jayco is not even close to making the list. You can even add dual pane windows. Not sure what gain you get between dual and single pane in the identically constructed R7 wall, but you can add them none the less.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:

wrong. arctic/cold weather/etc. packages can include a covered bottom, heated tanks, etc.
bumpy

anniejay
Explorer
Explorer
Guess there's smart xxxxx everywhere.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer

anniejay
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for replying. The underbelly Glacier insulation Jayco installs is a one piece insulating fabric that covers the entire underside; however, this brown is seen as being applied after the fabric where as a person could see it. I will be calling Jayco Customer Service to inquire about this tomorrow after which I will the call the dealership depending on Jayco's response. Thanks.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
not exactly sure what you are talking about but they do inject foam insulation around pipe openings, etc.
bumpy