cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about tires

Heybro
Explorer
Explorer
I have been learning a lot about tongue weight and payload capacity lately, but I have not even looked into tire capacity and weight rating at all. I am going to need some help with this. So my truck has Goodyear 275/55R20 113T tires. It says the treadwear is 500, Traction B, Temperature B. It also says the max load is 2535 lbs, and max psi is 51.

My GAWR on my truck with those tires is 4000 lbs on the front, and 4150 lbs on the rear.

Ok, with that information, how do I figure out if I am good to tow a 7,000 lbs GVWR trailer, with 680 lbs of dry tongue weight without having a tire blowout? I heard something that you need D or E rated tires if you are going to tow. But it looks like my tires can handle 2535 lbs each, so shouldnt i be fine?
58 REPLIES 58

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I wish I was Barneyโ€™s favorite. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hey Ron...I'm not a member of distinction, but you are one of my favorite posters. I've always enjoyed Grits posts as well, and have told him so. :C

Jerry

Same back at ya! We should be able to kidd around now and then.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Hey Ron...I'm not a member of distinction, but you are one of my favorite posters. I've always enjoyed Grits posts as well, and have told him so. :C

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JIMNLIN wrote:
CapriRacer and Tireman9 have both told us (for those that don't know them, both are tire engineers) for years a P metric tires max load capacity comes at 35 psi...even tho they may have a 44-51 max psi on the sidewall.
Higher pressures above 35 psi just stiffens the tires sidewall...but doesn't gain any more capacity.

And both engineers have also told us the OPs 275/55-20" tires has a 113T load rating/2535 lb capacity = a P tire. P tires on a truck are required to have their load rating derated by dividing its capacity 1.1 = 2304 lbs capacity. Still w/i a 1/2 ton trucks rear axle ratings.

Pump those P tires on the trucks rear axle to the max sidewall when towing...or carrying max loads.

[COLOR=]"Pump those P tires on the trucks rear axle to the max sidewall when towing...or carrying max loads."

This from a man with actual experience, towing heavy over many years! Nothing wrong with being schooled from a book, but schooling from others with actual knowledge from towing heavy trailers can improve the safety of anyone's towing experience, which includes a member mentioned above.

In my years on this forum, it seems everyone on this forum has claimed to be an engineer of some sort. Guess I'm the only one that isn't, but get by, using common sense, and experience.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer and Tireman9 have both told us (for those that don't know them, both are tire engineers) for years a P metric tires max load capacity comes at 35 psi...even tho they may have a 44-51 max psi on the sidewall.
Higher pressures above 35 psi just stiffens the tires sidewall...but doesn't gain any more capacity.

And both engineers have also told us the OPs 275/55-20" tires has a 113T load rating/2535 lb capacity = a P tire. P tires on a truck are required to have their load rating derated by dividing its capacity 1.1 = 2304 lbs capacity. Still w/i a 1/2 ton trucks rear axle ratings.

Pump those P tires on the trucks rear axle to the max sidewall when towing...or carrying max loads.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
BarneyS wrote:
Sorry Jerry but I have no answer for you. I don't know.
By the way, my previous post was not directed just to you but to any other members who may think I try to play favorites.:)
Barney

Thanks for the reply, hope you know I was kidding about you playing favorites. Anyway you and Marty are my favorite mods! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll watch for the post made at 2:50, right after my 11:51 am post this morning. Weird, but it may still show.

Jerry

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry Jerry but I have no answer for you. I don't know.
By the way, my previous post was not directed just to you but to any other members who may think I try to play favorites.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the explanation Barney, maybe I was being a bit condescending.

I do have a question, that you maybe will answer? Although I've noticed this happen quite often, just today, on this thread, a post was made at 2:50 pm, but the post does not show up for me?? It may show up in a day or so, just curious why?

Jerry

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nobody has complained to me about anything and it is not a matter of liking or disliking anybody. I just delete any comments that are personal in nature. If you wish to say something directly or indirectly to another member that is even somewhat flaming or derogatory, then do via PM and not on the public forum.

The alternative to editing out comments such as those, is to delete the whole post. If I did that then you would complain about that so might as well just take out the personal stuff.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL. Pretty sure the OPs tires are not LT with only a 113 load index, but then again Iโ€™m not a wannabe tire engineer.
However I do know enough to know that most, many, all? Probably not all, light duty P/XL tires achieve max rated capacity before max psi rating.
But ICBW , and always welcome some new knowledge if Iโ€™m wrong.

Just doing my due diligence to keep all the newbies from walking away thinking they need E load tires and a dually as soon as they even think about putting a trailer on the back of a truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Glad I am not deleted. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Your a nice guy, Barney likes you! :C But hey, I like Barney! I think he was maybe just responding to the tire jockey's complaint of me picking on him. I didn't intend it that way, just gave him a few tips.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad I am not deleted. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Been a while since looking at this thread! Looks like the safety part of my post has disappeared.

The fact is the OPs tires are LT, but with most any 1/2 ton truck tire, as you agree, MORE PRESSURE, but not going over max tire psi, will net best stability and safety when towing a heavy trailer. Experience tells you and I from towing many types/weights of trailers, often with 1/2 ton trucks, you do not want the door sticker pressure in tires with 1K TW on the hitch. The fellow posting this recommendation is not "smug" but sending a dangerous message.

Grit dog...not sure what your first sentence was implying, but you are welcome to PM me for further discussion, to avoid any more deleting.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
As smug as CR can be sometimes, maybe donโ€™t show your ____ without knowing all the facts.
What youโ€™re saying IS generally true for LT tires, but P metric tires generally max out on load before maxing out on pressure. BUT more pressure above the min psi to get max load rating does increase stability and make the tire flex less for a given load.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Understanding your tire ratings 101...Yes, you need to air up to get full load capacity of the tire! What is it you can not understand! A reading comprehension problem, maybe! When a tire is marked (example to make it easier for you) max load 1984 at max pressure 44 psi, that does not mean that tire has 1984 load capability at 30 psi. If you can read the tire manufacturers charts, they will tell what the load capacity is at a lesser inflation.

Bottom line...a little common sense...air your tires up to handle the load, but do not exceed max pressure as marked on tire. I am taking the time to school you, so others don't take your wrong advise of just looking at the door sticker, when they need to air up to handle the increased load, such as 1,000 lbs of tongue wt.

Jerry