cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about toad diode wiring

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I presently use magnetic tow lights and have for years. I'm thinking about diode wiring to the toad's tail and brake lights and a question to myself arose. I understand how a diode works on dc power(one way current flow only). My question of concern is about the output to the brake lights when I make a short stop that causes the Brake Buddy to activate. Since this would cause 12v to be applied from two different power sources(moho and toad) to the brake lights at the same time, would it just act like parallel batteries or could there be a problem?
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad
22 REPLIES 22

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
w4phj wrote:
I elected to install separate sockets and bulbs which plug into the MH 7 pin outlet. Now there can be no warranty or feedback issues. This project took about an hour. The hard part was threading the harness thru the Jeep frame rails.

sounds like a better plan to me.
I wouldn't mess with factory wiring myself.
bumpy

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I elected to install separate sockets and bulbs which plug into the MH 7 pin outlet. Now there can be no warranty or feedback issues. This project took about an hour. The hard part was threading the harness thru the Jeep frame rails.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
In 2007-2011, my Chevy HHR (Toad) had the diode kit installed. Never a problem.

Using my 2011 Ford Ranger as a toad, my RV mechanic cautioned against using any diode setup "in some of these newer cars"....sometimes the diode system sends a false problem message to the computer and the "check engine" light comes on.

Yes? No? So, I went with the magnetic lights...again, never a problem. The RV dealer could have made some bucks selling and installing the diode set, but chose not to.

So...my experience, either system works fine...depends on the vehicle.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with the diodes, but may be cheaper and easier to install
separate bulbs and sockets. Your Accord appears to be the same vintage as our previous car, (03-05). I just put the bulb and sockets in the blank light housing in the trunk lid. Did not touch the Honda wiring at all. You have to run the wiring from the front (MH connection) to the trunk anyway. When we got the CRV, did the same thing with a blank taillight section.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Diodes add many more connections and potential bad connections. Water intrusion can be an issue too.

If the brake device is sensitive to input voltage it could be fooled by the tiniest of voltage leak and either stay locked up or worse, some can lock up while you are driving the toad.

I highly recommend using separate bulbs which are easy enough to install or stick with your magnetic setup. Another option if you have a tow hitch on the toad it so to use a tow bar with or without a tow ball and then connect a cross bar to hold lights on each end. The light bar can be removed easily. I often just leave mine in place. The tow ball is still available if needed.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, the diodes would be a lot easier then the magnetic lights. Once installed when you plug in your done.

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!!! That's what I thought. Now I've gotta figure out another reason to tell DW it won't work.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

talotto
Explorer
Explorer
Parallel 12V DC, just like a battery. The bulb gets 12V, its internal resistance limits current flow. No problem at all.
KG5PDS
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 HD Heritage Softail
2016 Jeep Wrangler
College Station, TX