cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question From a Really Big Guy Maybe You Can Answer

phattwoohie
Explorer
Explorer
First, let me say hello and thank you for deciding to read my question.

I am 40 years old and have never owned an RV or Motorhome but my wife and I want to purchase one in the next 12 months. I have a few reservations because of my size however. My wife is normal but I'm 449 pounds. I know I can find an RV with a larger bathroom, I've looked at some photos of some used ones with bigger walk in showers and toilets that were not squeezed in a corner.

My real concern is if I purchase a 5th wheel model and the fold out steps. I have never actually walked into an RV before but I'm worried about the fold out steps weight capacity and their ability to hold me as I walk up them. I was too embarrassed to call and talk to someone at a dealership, but I felt like online here I could be a bit more anonymous.

Do they make a heavy duty set of steps or how sturdy are the normal ones that come on an RV? I recently found out they make Handicapped model RV's with larger entrance doors and even wheelchair lifts. I have considered one of these models as they have a wider walkway throughout and usually bigger bathrooms standard. I don't want to have to go that route unless I have to though.

Any info is appreciated.
29 REPLIES 29

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
You know, maybe a company should design and build a 'big and tall' RV. There are enough of us out there with money to spend.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
350 lbs and 6'5". I really like those stabilizer jacks for the steps. My steps groan a bit but I keep an eye on them and they seem really sturdy so far. I can sit at one spot at the dinette table. Not so much getting in, it's getting out! My TT has a nice couch that I kind of take over! Had to add 2X3 strapping under the queen bed because I broke that thin wood right away. The bunk beds in my camper are way better built than the queen bed and could hold your weight no problem. Pay attention to Gross combined weight rating as it normally assumes 150 pound driver and being over that affects how much cargo you can carry. Finding a decent camping chair is a pain!

I suggest you go to RV shows and ask the sales teams there about accommodating weight and then follow up with wandering around a few. You will be able to tell if they are bs'ing you if they squirm when you go near their rigs. If you want to avoid the rush, go during the off peak times.

Find your rig. There are many to choose from. See you out there.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's worth checking out toy haulers while you are there. They are spacious! And you can tell your wife you are the toy ;).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

phattwoohie
Explorer
Explorer
ty for all the responses, I like that RV step stabilizer you linked, I could see easily putting a couple of those in place. Also, I might have to go with the handicapped model as they have wider doors already in place. Not much difference between those and normal ones anyway, they just have the wider door, lots of handholds in the bathroom and stuff to help a person get up from things like the low sitting toilet.

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and go down to a dealer and try to walk through a few. I'll bring a small wood step with me, lol

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
frankdamp wrote:
If you get a motor-home, you'll have to get DW to be first one out and last one in, so she can put the extra support under the steps before you use them and remove it before you pull out. TT or 5er, that's not a problem.

That should probably read "If you get a class A motorhome". A class C (or perhaps even a class A with a usable driver's door) would have no such problem. At worst, the running board might have to be reinforced a little bit...but mine seem plenty strong from the factory.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Weight is one issue and the above suggestions sound good. Don't forget the size issue. Can you fit through the RV door? The bathroom door? Be sure to choose a unit that you have actually walked into and tried out. If that is not an option (buying direct from factory?), measure a tight-fit door in your house and see how that measurement compares with the specs on the RV.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
This is an RV step stabilizer that is rated for 750 pounds.

Alot of dealers use two under each bottom step (one at each end) on the coaches they bring to RV shows.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
I'm a little guy of 220 and cringed every time I stepped out my motor home as the steps would move downward and creek and groan. I solved my problem by getting a small scissor jack and placing it under the bottom step. The jack (being adjustable) can be raised or lowered due to the steps being at different heights when at different campgrounds/parks. Sometimes getting the coach level requires the steps to be further or closer to the ground.

Hope this helps

Ron

Seems like the easiest & best approach to me.

On another note, My steps on my TT have a custom bracket made by the factory & are welded to the frame.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
If you get a motor-home, you'll have to get DW to be first one out and last one in, so she can put the extra support under the steps before you use them and remove it before you pull out. TT or 5er, that's not a problem.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there - I'm a fellow big guy, 6ft 6 and heavy. I've made a few "improvements" to my rv to help it last longer.

for the entrance, consider something like this:

Aluminum Step Stool

The step is great - it's a large target, which works great for my size 17 feet ... the factory steps were so narrow, easy to miss sometimes.

I also bolstered the insides of the dinette seats with 2x4s and steel corner bracing - the oem used 3/4" x 3/4" strips, stapled together!

My rig has a queen size bed built on a platform, that doubles as the outside basement and indoor water storage compartment. I braced parts of it with 2x4 and steel as well.

The toilet is no problem, other than having to basically fold in half to use it (why so low to the ground!).

The shower, forget it. My ceiling is about 6'8 inside, when I have my boots on I walk around hunched over. The shower is built up on a platform another 3 inches higher (so the drain lines fits under it I guess). If I really have to use it, I can fit in there, but most of the time I just wash up in the sink and rinse my hair in the shower. One of these years I'll put some quick connects on my outdoor low point drain lines, so I can connect a mixer valve and have an outdoor shower.

If I win the lotto, I'll get a 5th wheel with 8 to 9 foot ceilings, other than that I really enjoy my little trailer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a little guy of 220 and cringed every time I stepped out my motor home as the steps would move downward and creek and groan. I solved my problem by getting a small scissor jack and placing it under the bottom step. The jack (being adjustable) can be raised or lowered due to the steps being at different heights when at different campgrounds/parks. Sometimes getting the coach level requires the steps to be further or closer to the ground.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm 6'2" and weighed about 260 and my steps broke. I started putting a block of wood under it when I used it. They're definitely not made for big guys. Also, the ladders on RVs aren't rated for big guys, either. Mine are rated for 220 lbs max.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big guy too (about 400 lbs.) and I have not had any trouble with the steps on my hybrid or the TT in my signature. I couldn't use the bathroom in the hybrid so that was one requirement when we moved up to the TT. I have no problem getting in/out of the TT with the steps (no modifications), the shower and using the toilet. We plan to use the TT for snowbirding a couple of years from now. BTW, welcome to the forum. Also, we chose a TT over a 5er to avoid the extra steps on the inside.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum. I went to our local state park this past week and the camp host setup had a fifth wheel. He had setup a set of wooden steps to get into his unit instead of using the flimsy metal steps that most rv's have. i suspect with you having a big truck required to haul a fifth wheel you could come up with a similar plan.

And I'm not trying to be humorous, just throwing it out there, but some fifth wheels have a garage for play toys such as motor cycles, golf carts, etc. these are typically called toy haulers. The key though is they have a ramp out the back.

Good luck.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
well welcome, you ain,t the only big guy out there, but to answer your question, I,d put a support under the step, on my friends, we had a aluminum square I had welded up ,slides under the step, and don,t be shy, you got questions ask, we,ll all learn some thing.