cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Really Pay to Review My Application

ricklord2001
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have sold our house and will be fulltiming for a while.
I saw that a State Park had an Opening for a host and thought I'd check it out as the description was very vague. Following advice I got from here I thought I'd call and see exactly what was expected for duties. That didn't go very well and every time I asked a question the response was do you have a problem with that. I really got the impression that you do what they ask and shut up. I really didn't get much out of it.
They advised me to fill out paperwork online and they might contact me. So I said what to heck and filled them out figuring I'd get my answers after/if they contacted me. Well I hit submit and there was a fee of $15 to review the application. It's not the $15 but to pay to have someone review my application just didn't agree with me. I've gotten jobs paying a lot of money and never been hit with this.
Is this the norm for workkamping? Just really rubbed me the wrong way in addition to the way I was treated during the phone call.
35 REPLIES 35

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have to pay for each one you apply for?
Sounds like more tax's in the name of fees! More and more of this going on.
Gary

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Not a chance on a sunny day I would pay dime one for the "opportunity" of submitting an application for a volunteer position.

Now if I was granted that position if I passed a background check, that would be different and I'd probably agree to pay a small fee.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

brookside
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is always good to share information like this. I could understand a requirement for those that are being hired to complete before assignment but anything else, no. Information sharing is good.
Cathy, Alfred, and Andrew.
Appreciating each day

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
I hosted in the two Morrow Bay camp grounds for 18 months and did not have to pay for the Livescan. It was done at the ranger station at Hurst.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Huntram....We worked McGrath for 5 winters....they started the fingerprinting and b g checks around '04 I believe. We had to pay for the fingerprinting. We were irritated, but it was only once and on file forever.

I realized what a good idea it was when some of our "regular" homeless ex con addicts tried to apply for the positions. There were some real bad apples that could have slipped in if not for the checks and those of us who volunteered regularly and knew them. Scary....be aware that in that area you cannot let your guard down regarding your property.The rangers are spread thin as are other LEO's.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

huntram
Explorer
Explorer
We are starting our first hosting at Emma Wood State Park in Ventura, Ca on the 10th. There was no application fee but once we committed and they to us they did have us pay $10.00 for the Livescan background (directly to the Sheriff dept). Seems reasonable to us.
Brian
Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2014 Ram 3500, Western Brown, Laramie, CrewCab Dually, Aisin Trans, CTD, 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
And if folks begin pushing for "unionizing" workcampers on this forum, they will be deleted........

I will say it once more....if you don't like a position....move on.....
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
deltamaster wrote:

The only way for this to stop is for we as a group to boycott these practices. When the pool of volunteers dries up then these places will realize that their practices are counter productive and stop the shenanigans.
No, what will happen is the campgrounds will be privatized or closed. The state governments in most instances consider campgrounds to be a thorn in their sides that they would rather farm out to someone else to take the headaches. Lawmakers won't let them do it. But with enough pushback from the agencies that run the parks, the days where a private company is running the campgrounds, charging high fees for subpar service, and services being limited to the high end, well heeled "resort" user are not far on the horizon.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

usnret
Explorer
Explorer
I have read all of the post in this thread and the answer is very simple. If you don't like the $15.00 application fee, simply don't apply. It is a condition of employment/volunteering mentioned up front.
USNRET
Jim & Judy
2009 Ram 3500 Dually LB
2011 Cardinal 3425RT
The Meandering Maddox's Blog
The Call to Serve

"Heaven must need a hero"

BillAnn_C
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona also requires the volunteer to pay for their own background check. Nice campgrounds though.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
According to the new federal guidelines, all volunteers must undergo criminal background checks. The cost ($25 to $50) of this is sometimes born by the applicant for the volunteer positions.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Some would complain if a Prevost coach was supplied for the host to use.
And full pay. Just like some complain at their jobs for many years till they retire.

Pogoil.

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
Really is a smack in the face. After all, a work camping volunteer for these places is not paid anything... sure you get a free camp site but really.

With that free camp site comes the expectation that any time you are physically in the site you are on the clock and do not dare tell a customer that you are not on duty.

The only way for this to stop is for we as a group to boycott these practices. When the pool of volunteers dries up then these places will realize that their practices are counter productive and stop the shenanigans.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at several Georgia State Parks. One in particular would be well worth the fifteen bucks for a background check + excess insurance whatever that is. That particular park is always covered with hosts in the months we would want to vol.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu