cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear view camera failure...what to replace it with?

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
Our Voltage came with a wonderful Voyager wireless camera system from the factory. It has never worked well, even with an extension antenna from the manufacturer. The signal is weak and the video monitor usually says "no signal". Anyway, over the last few months, moisture has gotten into the camera due to who knows what, probably poor construction or a seal that didn't keep it's seal. The camper is 6 months out of warranty and so is the camera according to ASA, it's manufacturer. I have a super duper XtraRide 84 month "Platinum" protection plan that states it covers "rear monitor systems", but they won't cover it because the fine print states condensation is not covered, which I personally think is a bunch of******since it's probably a manufacture defect that caused it, not me cracking a lens or something.

My question is, what have you replaced cameras with? Wired or wireless? If wired, where did you run the wires? Should I just replace with another Voyager since I know the wires are there and replacement should be pretty simple? I don't want a Walmart cheapo or tag rim camera. I've searched the previous threads on the subject and really didn't get the info to make a good decision from them. I just know I want it to last longer than a year and a half.

BTW, after talking with many folks at the "extended warranty" company, it sure appears that the fine print would allow them to get out of about any claim that I can think we might file in the future. It is a 54 page booklet, something that you really wouldn't have time to go thru while sitting at a finance managers desk when asked, "do you want the extended warranty?" The dealer summarized the plan as "bumper to bumper" everything covered in the Platinum plan. I think it's time to cash out on the remaining warranty and cut the losses. Not sure how the warranty employees sleep at night sometimes. For $4000, you'd sure think they would be a little more helpful.
2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Fortwo Passion
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!
15 REPLIES 15

westend
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
There are a lot of cameras, cables, and monitors on eBay.

Instaed of buying a 300.00 kit, I bought individual parts and saved about 200.00.
Checked your mods, very cool stuff!
If it isn't too much trouble, could you please post a link or two to what you bought for your backup camera system? I'll be installing a backup up camera or two but am clueless as to what features I really need.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of cameras, cables, and monitors on eBay.

Instaed of buying a 300.00 kit, I bought individual parts and saved about 200.00.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
DodgeVoltage wrote:
Did the camera just need the standard 2 wire 12 volt connection, or is it powered thru the line to the truck monitor?

2 wire 12 volt. I purchased one of these through Amazon. 12 volt plug Works fine. I plug it into the 12 volt in the back seat of the truck.

The monitor unplugs from the harness (gets its power through the harness) and I remove from the vehicle when after reaching our destination.

The camera has a wide enough angle to see much of the bike, even at close distance. A higher placement would provide all the view you could ask for.

The system allows for additional camera's to be attached.

Finally, the night vision was excellent. Just like daylight.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Winged One! That's exactly the info that I am looking for. I looked at the same camera on that website and wondered about it. The price is a lot better than the replacement like the one I have too. The install sounds just about like the CB antennas I put on my truck with the rubber plugs and all. I will definitely put this camera at the top of my list. Did the camera just need the standard 2 wire 12 volt connection, or is it powered thru the line to the truck monitor?

I decided today to take mine apart today to see if I could do anything with it since it isn't warranted by anyone now. I dried it out and put it back together. It's working at the moment, but I'm not going to put a lot of faith in it's future operation. It's life is short I'm betting.
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I put the following on my 5th: Back up camera

I think it says back up camera, but we used it for 3 weeks from Michigan to Montana and back, always on (to watch our bike on our swivel wheel). Never a hiccup.

It's made for much harder use than us RVers.

I decided to attach the camera to the ladder with some small cut pieces of rubber (to protect the ladder) and then black zip ties. I can then easily remove it and it unplugs from the remainder of the wire harness at the back of the trailer.

I ran the very long harness under the trailer, wrapped in split tubing and into the front storage compartment. Because my trailer has an inner and outer metal sheeting, I ran the end of the harness back out the bottom, created a holder that I screwed into the bottom of the trailer and attached the end of the harness to that.

I then got a 1 inch hole saw and drilled a hole through the plastic (yes, plastic) rear bumper of my F350. I put the connector and wire through the hole and that leaves the metal connector bolted (two additional small holes) to the bumper (between one license plate light and the license plate).

I then ran the cord under the truck, first encasing it in cable wrap, then zip tieing it to various spots under the truck along the outside of the frame.

Now on my truck, there is a rubber plug under the back seat about 2 inches in diameter. Pulled that plug and your looking right at the carpet underlayment. Mine came up under the sub woofer, but was accessible. Careful not to poke into the subwoofer, my wife used a awl to poke a hole through the underlayment and carpet (me with my hand under the subwoofer to ensure it wasn't damaged). Then she used quality sheers to cut an x in the material. I put an x in the rubber plug, ran the wire through everything, drawing the excess wire into the truck. Using silicone sealant, sealed the cut in the floor and the plug.

Looped the excess wire and ran it to the monitor.

I used one of those cigarette ashtrays for use in the cupholder, put a piece of rubber on the top and affixed the supplied monitor holder to that.

Power supplied from a 12 volt outlet in the truck.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
resmas--Glad I could help. I actually got the idea from someone else on this site, unfortunately, forgot who.
I bought my system online through rearviewsafety.com.

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
TOMMY47 wrote:
Get a wired system and mount it inside to view through the back window. I mounted the monitor on the rear view mirror and have at least 5x the view I had with the mirror in my class C. It is invaluable and cost about $250. No holes to drill or water seepage problems.

That would work awesome, if the toyhauler had a back window. But you just gave me an idea on how to mount one on my horse trailer! Thanks! I'd never thought of mounting one that was vs. drilling holes thru the exterior.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Get a wired system and mount it inside to view through the back window. I mounted the monitor on the rear view mirror and have at least 5x the view I had with the mirror in my class C. It is invaluable and cost about $250. No holes to drill or water seepage problems.

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Harold gave you some good advice and a phone number for a direct contact with experts. It appears you need no further help.

It actually didn't answer my question at all. It did, however, give me a good reference and I will call them eventually.
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Harold gave you some good advice and a phone number for a direct contact with experts. It appears you need no further help.

duplicate.
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:

The problem is that those "experts" are going to say that their product works great, when really it does not. That's where personal experience from this forum comes in handy.... Especially from anyone who has used the system on a LONG trailer, vs. a small class-C or truck camper setup.
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC

spider711
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased wireless voyager 2 years ago from rvcams.com very helpful answering my questions and concerns about using wireless..

bgum
Explorer
Explorer

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I've been to all the websites. Really want to know first hand how specific models have worked for others (or which camera someone is looking at and for what reasons). The RV is over 40 foot long, so wireless systems seem to be on the edge of their range limits even though the websites advertise larger distances.
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!