cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recaulking

rangers13
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all we recently purchased a 2003 kodiak k235 which was in good shape for the age and definitely the right price. As it is 10 yrs old it does need some maintenance. I am going to need to reseal a lot of the exterior wall seams and around a lot of the fixtures. I have seen the debate over silicone or other type of caulking to used and have seen some mixed thoughts. Will I be ok using an exterior silicone? Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
john b wrote:
GENECOP wrote:
For the sidewall stuff silicone is fine, just clean the old well, tape off if you want it to look neat, strike while wet then remove tape. You can also color match with silicone if that is a concern. The roof is better treated with Dicor .

Why not use what is designed for use on Rvs. I hope you are good at it as it make a rig look like the dickens if not done right. Dicor has the right stuff ! JMHO Jb

J, I have run Miles of pure silicone (part of my job) while silicone takes a little more skill to handle (no do overs) I would put it up against any other sealent for long term adhesion and flexibility. I have also had many Non White Rigs, Silicone offers easily available colors for matching. On many RV,s 1/8" beads need to be run along surfaces that are 16" ths on different planes, with Blue Painters tape running above and below the strike point even an amateur can get tight clean lines.... Silicone will stick well to most RV surfaces provided the proper prep, cleaning, etc...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
Sidewalls use ProFlex RV (clear or white). For roof penetrations (AC, fridge vent, skylights) use Dicor. Best chemical for prep is Klean-Strip Industrial Maintenance Coating Thinner which is sold by Home Depot.

Try mineral spirits first, it may be all you need. Just dampen a cloth with it, never pour it on. Use the sealants mentioned above, never silicone. If you wet your finger with mineral spirits you can really smooth your sealant bead.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sidewalls use ProFlex RV (clear or white). For roof penetrations (AC, fridge vent, skylights) use Dicor. Best chemical for prep is Klean-Strip Industrial Maintenance Coating Thinner which is sold by Home Depot.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I won't use silicone on my rig - too many threads indicating problems and nothing likes to stick to it. I tend to stick to dicor, eternabond and pro flex.
Kevin

john_b1
Explorer
Explorer
GENECOP wrote:
For the sidewall stuff silicone is fine, just clean the old well, tape off if you want it to look neat, strike while wet then remove tape. You can also color match with silicone if that is a concern. The roof is better treated with Dicor .

Why not use what is designed for use on Rvs. I hope you are good at it as it make a rig look like the dickens if not done right. Dicor has the right stuff ! JMHO Jb
2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No dicor lap desk on the roof dicor non lap seal for all else