cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refer on Propane what is the useage rate

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering about leaving my refer running on propane for about 10 days does anyone have an idea about propane consumption. I hate to turn it off and on
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)
11 REPLIES 11

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 4-door Norcold (2 refrigerator doors and 2 freezer compartments) and measured propane use when boondocking in warm, humid weather that was temperate enough to sleep in without air conditioning. I've got statistics from several months of this.

It averages about 1/2 gallon per day.

Maybe the people citing 1/4 gallon (or one pound) per day have a smaller unit?

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It looks like no trouble with the 10 days . I want to leave it on because I think it is better for the refer to run continuous rather that stop and start.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
As a rule of thumb, I go by a pound a day for propane use. 28 gallons of propane will last you about 3-4 months, assuming nothing else is using gas. This is something I personally found when camping, as well as from friends who have reused cast-off absorption fridges for off-grid use.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Trainer, you'll be fine for 10 days with your setup. Fridg's sip propane.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this will help you but we fill our propane tank at the beginning of each summer. Our hot water is propane only, so we use it there too.

We have never had to top up the propane tank over the course of a summer. Most days camping about 40 with half no hook-ups.

We do use the propane stove, to a small extent, we generally cook outside.

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
My previous fridge used about 0.25 gallons per day in moderate temperatures.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Variables not mentioned by the OP: size of propane tank (20 lb? 30 lb? more?), whether said tank(s) are full or partly empty, size of refer, outside temperatures, inside RV temperatures. All have a large effect on the propane consumption rate, making any sort of useful answer difficult.

As someone mentioned, 12v electric is also crucial to the operation of that refer, so is the rig on shore power or battery only? and if the latter, is anything else on, how many batteries does he have, and what is their state of charge?

The REAL question of whether he can leave that rig/refer on for 10 days depends on the answers to all those OTHER questions.

What do all those variables have to do with propane consumption that is the question I asked. I have 6 house batteries all at full charge and 28 gallons of propane near full. Now can we get back to the question of consumption. And BTW what are the other questions ?
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Variables not mentioned by the OP: size of propane tank (20 lb? 30 lb? more?), whether said tank(s) are full or partly empty, size of refer, outside temperatures, inside RV temperatures. All have a large effect on the propane consumption rate, making any sort of useful answer difficult.

As someone mentioned, 12v electric is also crucial to the operation of that refer, so is the rig on shore power or battery only? and if the latter, is anything else on, how many batteries does he have, and what is their state of charge?

The REAL question of whether he can leave that rig/refer on for 10 days depends on the answers to all those OTHER questions.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
A twenty lb tank will run my fridg for 24 days before switching over .

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what the time length would be but we run two refers in our fiver off two 30 lb tanks with an automatic change over. At times depending on temperatures, one of the 30's may be empty. You do know that it takes 12 volt to keep that refer running even though it is on propane. So something will have to keep the batteries charged up.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Propane use is tiny. I wouldn't hesistate to leave it on with one 7 gallon tank.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman