cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Registering 1-ton Truck in KS

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
For you folks who have a 1-ton truck registered in KS, roughly what does it cost to register a 2016 350/3500 (11,700 GVWR) 1-ton truck? Non-commercial, RV use only. Any vehicle or emissions testing? Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Holy shnikeys! So how much is the total tax in KS for a new vehicle?
10% sales PLUS PP tax? Whatโ€™s the PP tax rate?
BUT, how much do you pay in real estate property tax?
Here on the lib side of the state, weโ€™re paying about 1.4% of fair market value currently.
WI is about 1.5% of fmv. CO, NM and AZ were all .5% or less.
Few grand more once every 10 years on a new car is way less out of pocket than few grand more every year. They got to gets their money somewhere....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Grit Dog What suc's is a state legislature (who also owns a car delership in Wichita) got legislation passed for a tax on used vehicles from private individuals. Because private individuals had a unfair advantage over dealerships.

Bet if you did a little checking you would find that law is part of the ALEC agenda. Yes, pro business, anti-people, but can not be blamed on any one businessman...
It was reported he introduced the legislation, it took the vote of others to make it law.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Grit Dog What suc's is a state legislature (who also owns a car delership in Wichita) got legislation passed for a tax on used vehicles from private individuals. Because private individuals had a unfair advantage over dealerships.

Bet if you did a little checking you would find that law is part of the ALEC agenda. Yes, pro business, anti-people, but can not be blamed on any one businessman...

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II

Now when you trade a car in to a dealership they only tax you on the difference giving the dealership a unfair advantage over a private individual.

You add in almost 10 percent sales tax and personal property tax on top of a vehicle ( like a platinum Ford F-350) and your talking a heck of a lot of money in taxes.

Since I'm retired I might move to South Dakota to establish residents and travel.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Agree with you guys about use tax on used purchases and market value.
But a lot of states doo it. If a guy is a little crafty, you can skirt it, sometimes.
Pay to play, I get it, but I'm not above trying to protect my own bottom line either. Especially with double taxation like this.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksbowman wrote:
Thanks Colliehauler. I stand corrected. Didn't realize there had been a change in the law.
I still think we are getting taken advantage of paying a tax on a used vehicle that has already been taxed.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Colliehauler. I stand corrected. Didn't realize there had been a change in the law.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
KSBOWMAN Yes, I sent you a private message. It use to be as you described. I have done several vehicle's they accepted the bill of sale instead of book value.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
ksbowman wrote:
otrfun wrote:
ksbowman wrote:
Just make sure it has been licensed in another state. Kansas sales tax is high (10% in some locales). $6000 on a $60,000 truck! We own land in other states so we register them the first year there.
Thanks. Does KS charge sales tax on a private-party to private-party used vehicle sale?
Yes, not only do they charge sales tax on private party to private party but, if the amount sounds too low they have a set amount of what the vehicle should sell for and will charge you for that rate. Our last truck (diesel & used) was $1700 cheaper registered at our Missouri home than our Kansas home. Also, Missouri personal property tax is not charged till the following licensing year.
If you have a bill of sale they will honor the price, did not use to be that way, they went by book value.
Colliehauler, Are you sure this hasn't changed. About 5 years ago I bought an old 5th wheel for hunting and it needed quite a bit of repair. The price I paid for it was real low and they challenged me on it at the county DMV when I tried to license it. Made me pay on the book value. I had a bill of sale , inspection and a letter from the seller saying it had a lost title that was notarized so I could get another title. Maybe it has changed since then but, I wasn't aware of it.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksbowman wrote:
otrfun wrote:
ksbowman wrote:
Just make sure it has been licensed in another state. Kansas sales tax is high (10% in some locales). $6000 on a $60,000 truck! We own land in other states so we register them the first year there.
Thanks. Does KS charge sales tax on a private-party to private-party used vehicle sale?
Yes, not only do they charge sales tax on private party to private party but, if the amount sounds too low they have a set amount of what the vehicle should sell for and will charge you for that rate. Our last truck (diesel & used) was $1700 cheaper registered at our Missouri home than our Kansas home. Also, Missouri personal property tax is not charged till the following licensing year.
If you have a bill of sale they will honor the price, did not use to be that way, they went by book value.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
ksbowman wrote:

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
The statute that covers the recreational vehicle exemption is 8-143(5)(b)(1).

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
ksbowman wrote:
Yes

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksbowman wrote: