cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remove white writing on frame

mgssrs
Explorer
Explorer
So does anyone have a way of remove the white writing all over the frame on my new trailer? I think it's probably a paint stick. I would rather remove it than paint over it. I don't know why they do that.
18 REPLIES 18

mgssrs
Explorer
Explorer
Well some of the writing was crayon and did come off. But the rest was some kind of paint stick and nothing would touch it. I even tried paint thinner and steel wool. I ended up painting over it and that will be fine as the tongue paint didn't look that great anyways.

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned mine off with WD-40. Not sure if it was paint stick or crayon, but it worked for me.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Captain_Happy wrote:
I'd paint right over it and be done.

I would remove the pen marks. I would try Lacquer thinner. Painting over may look good for a bit but in no time it will look like it was painted over.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
Brake cleaner or thinner might work. Or it might smear the white around. If you paint it, be prepared for a poor match.

I'd leave it alone. They all have it.

right it may smear it, but as you wipe it, it will come off. it will take a few times, but it will disappear and leave the black.

2 years ago I repainted the A-frame, rear bumper and stab. jacks on my trailer and used rustoleum gloss black. It has held up well and is very durable.

I would try cleaning it off first before painting it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
mgssrs wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
I found this hard to believe too, but it works... even on glue. Citrus air freshener and it will take off perm marker too.

Never heard of that. Are you talking about spray air freshener? Like febreze or something?

Citrus based spray air freshener.We won't use it any more after pitting a plastic toilet seat.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
mgssrs wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
I found this hard to believe too, but it works... even on glue. Citrus air freshener and it will take off perm marker too.

Never heard of that. Are you talking about spray air freshener? Like febreze or something?

Citrus based spray air freshener.We won't use it any more after pitting the heck out of a plastic toilet seat.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Brake cleaner or thinner might work. Or it might smear the white around. If you paint it, be prepared for a poor match.

I'd leave it alone. They all have it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mgssrs
Explorer
Explorer
I may try some of the suggestions but my trailer is not at my house now. Any recommendations on the best paint for frame match and durability?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh ok. Mine is on the Ibeam part of the frame. Yes start with some thinner. Actually brake clean may be better off. It will remove the cheap white paint and leave the black paint on.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd paint right over it and be done.

mgssrs
Explorer
Explorer
I think I figured out how to add a picture now. This is the writing on one side of my trailer tongue.

mgssrs
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will have to paint it because anything that will remove the writing will also remove the paint. I just didn't want to paint all the frame and I know it won't match if I don't.
I'm surprised that they send new trailers out like this. I saw a very nice three year old trailer last weekend with white writing all over it. I know I'm picky about stuff like this and maybe it doesn't bother other people.

mgssrs
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

mgssrs
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
IT is a means of 'ID' for Frame MFG....and then for RV MFG

Just get a rattle can of black paint and cover it

I guess I knew why they mark them I'm just surprised that they leave it like that. And I think you're right about painting over it.