cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replaced 1 tire but should I do all 4

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Maxxis tire losing air on our trip over spring break. Thanks to the TPMS I was alerted to it and was able to pull over and put the spare on. I have Maxxis 8008 LR E tires and due to availability and the fact we were heading on spring break I purchased and had a GY Endurance LR E installed. Plus I liked the stiffer sidewall and speed rating of the GY.

I had the Maxxis installed on 6/30/2015 and we probably have about 20k miles on them.

My question is should I replace the other 3 Maxxis tires now with GY tires to keep them the same brand and age. My plan was to replace all 4 next spring before camping season but that may need to change. Or should I just run the 3 Maxxis and 1 GY Endurance for this season and replace the 3 Maxxis next spring? We do about 7k towing miles per year. tks
32 REPLIES 32

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
We had a Maxxis tire losing air on our trip over spring break. Thanks to the TPMS I was alerted to it and was able to pull over and put the spare on. I have Maxxis 8008 LR E tires and due to availability and the fact we were heading on spring break I purchased and had a GY Endurance LR E installed. Plus I liked the stiffer sidewall and speed rating of the GY.

I had the Maxxis installed on 6/30/2015 and we probably have about 20k miles on them.

My question is should I replace the other 3 Maxxis tires now with GY tires to keep them the same brand and age. My plan was to replace all 4 next spring before camping season but that may need to change. Or should I just run the 3 Maxxis and 1 GY Endurance for this season and replace the 3 Maxxis next spring? We do about 7k towing miles per year. tks

My question is should I replace the other 3 Maxxis tires now with GY tires to keep them the same brand and age.

You have satisfied the basic question about using different brands. All tires are the same size and design. Almost all ST tires have similar tread patterns.

Maxxis trailer tire warranty is for four years from the DATE of manufacturer code on each tire's sidewall. When do you feel comfortable? At warranty drop dead date, or sooner, or later?

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Yes and for some reason, tires seem to go like popcorn. 1 pops and the rest are soon to follow. Idk what it is, itโ€™s like they have a magical self destruct date. Have seen this with several trailers, albeit all of them had Goodyear Marathons on them.
Like tires are fine one month. Next month, 1 tire comes apart and within the same trip more of them self destruct.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bob E. wrote:
But I'd take a close look at all of the tires for any deformations, cracks, etc. every time I stopped. We've caught a few tires early before blowing out just by looking at them and running my hand along the tread. It was pretty obvious they were coming apart.

I wish it were this easy. I keep our trailer here at the house during the camping season so I have every opportunity to inspect it for any developing flaws. I'm probably more anal than most about correct tire pressure and visually inspecting my tires on a regular basis yet one still did split and bubble on the inside, the latter of which I obviously couldn't see with the tire mounted on the wheel.

Bob E. wrote:
My experience was once the first one came apart and blew at 4 years old, the others soon followed.

Ergo the reason I chose to replace all four tires with a set of new Goodyear Endurance rather than hope & pray the remaining 3 original off shore tires wouldn't also prematurely fail. The OP did ask for a recommendation and that's mine. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, and I had the money, I'd replace the rest of them now including the spare. If I was short of cash (and who isn't these days), I'd wait until next spring per your original plan and use the one you just bought as the spare. But I'd take a close look at all of the tires for any deformations, cracks, etc. every time I stopped. We've caught a few tires early before blowing out just by looking at them and running my hand along the tread. It was pretty obvious they were coming apart. My experience was once the first one came apart and blew at 4 years old, the others soon followed. It started to seem like every time we took the camper out, we had a tire go. Even the spare, which had less than 1000 miles on it even blew. We got lucky in that other than some black marks, only one blowout actually caused any damage when it ripped the plastic fender off the camper.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
I'm guessing this tire is good for another season yet ... whatcha think? :W

"width=400"

tenbear wrote:
Good luck! :B

Ah heck, it's just a minor blemish. :W

BTW, that Chinese manufactured tire came off a Coachmen trailer sold brand new less than 6 months earlier. :E Same brand of tire originally installed on my own Coachmen, one of which suddenly split apart last fall for no apparent reason. Inside the tire the plies had also separated, creating a large oval patch that couldn't be seen from the outside and any owner would have been totally unaware of until the tire suddenly blew, as did that tire pictured above. Some may scoff when reports of trailer tire failure like this are posted, claiming it had to be because of owner inattention, but the reality is these failures do happen far too often. :M

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
You can't tube a radial tire.

Want to bet? I've seen about everything!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
At 3 years old they shouldn't be aged out......

Yep, a three year old tire is fine but who's to say they are three years old without looking at the DOT number? Just because they were purchased three years ago, doesn't necessarily mean they're 3 years old. Decode the DOT's on all the tires.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Good luck! :B
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Only 3 years old and coming apart is hard to swallow to replace, but if they're bad tires or sat in the sun I wouldn't question replacing the other 3 unless I was short on cash.

Trailer tires are funny. Some are great some just self destruct.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would run it as is. when the time comes for tires then get 4 new tires and put that recently purchased tire on as the spare.

I just read that you had tread separation at 3 years. I would replace them all with a better quality tire. I would go with Carlisle HD`s.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't tube a radial tire.
Puma 30RKSS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Amazing how people want "the answer" but don't want to give you the info to come up with a good answer.

It's absolutely critical to know why the tire failed:
- If you picked up a nail in an otherwise perfectly good tire or the valve failed and there was nothing exciting about the flat, there is no reason to replace the other tires.
- If there are signs that the tire was faulty, that's a good reason to suspect the other tires may be faulty and yo may want to get them replaced.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
All your tires have been it the same place on the road or sitting. Same wear on all of them other then possibly exposure to the sun. I would guess that if one went bad the others are not far behind. Sometimes you can get a better look at a tire if you take it off. If it was me and I planned on 7000 miles this year I think I would just get four new tires and use the one you just bought as the spare.