cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resurrecting an issue

CALNNC
Explorer
Explorer
I was just searching for info on the use of a particular CB channel for RV'ers, while moving or setup. Some of the posts that come up are 18 years old. Is anybody using CB or GMRS service to keep in contact and are there any dedicated channels for this?
38 REPLIES 38

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had a '70 Landcruiser wagon and a Cobra CB with a big steel whip antenna as I did a lot of driving on forest service roads in SW washington and a lot of off roading also. I just found my license card and my # was 14Q1418. The net was great in the 70's and early 80's, but changed a lot after that.
I try to listen 17/18/19 ,whichever has the cleanest language and then switch to 13 for rv channel.
I can't believe how many guys are driving down the road with their CBs off listening to the old lady yak, when they could be talking to someone more interesting.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I don't speak Spanish so that leaves me out. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
I still use a calculator, dial phone and a bit and brace, but I too have no clue where my CB radio is.

X2.

But, I don't travel far from home. If I did I think I would add a CB radio just for a back up plan. It may not come in handy but, they are cheap.

How could you not use a calculator? Has some new invention come along that I am not aware of? Or , does K Charles just mean that he uses the calculator built into his cell phone?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is one from November 23,2000.
Mentions getting a good CB down near the end of the post. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

CALNNC
Explorer
Explorer
Well, a search brought up comments from the late 90's, but they were from other RV sites, not here. I agree that little info can be had now a days on chan 19, truckers seem to be very quiet, finally making noise if there is a traffic issue, and it seems it is too late at times. I run from NC to WI several times a year and the cell phone road condition app leads me around most delays, but wondered why so many trucks get stuck in them when it would seem a shout on the CB would let them pull off for a coffee and a smoke somewhere instead of sitting in traffic for a couple hours. CB can still be useful if folks would approach it as an easy and basically free and simple way to keep in touch. Cell phone use is getting banned everywhere it seems, while your are driving, but CB has not.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had and used CB for the past 45+ year's. Sure, OK, I don't talk much on it anymore, but I always have it on when going down the road(Channel 19) just in case someone is out there! Actually, it was useful just 2 weeks ago when the Interstate came to a dead stop and continued stop and go for about 3 hours. I pulled off the road and waited it out.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I have one, but haven't used it much in past few years. When I did use one it would come in handy when dealing with backed up traffic. The truckers will keep you informed in that regard. They also are sure to notify drivers of where "smokies" are along the way, but when I'm pulling my camper I'm not likely to be speeding.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Didn't know this forum was 18 years old.
This is the oldest I could find:
I found CB in the heading in 2001. 14 years.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
We use Ham radio while on the road, 2m and 70cm. Been thinking of adding a CB to the TV because some of our friends don't have Ham licenses. Our Ham gear mounts under the seat with only the control face plate on the dash. Have seen a CB radio that mount under the seat also where all the controls are built into the mic. Mounting radios in these new vehicles is not easy. Just no room under the dash like the old 60s-70s vehicles.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Out here in the west you will hear a lot of traffic on 19. Truckers use it, and we have CB's in both our truck and toy hauler. It's come in handy a few times between Salt Lake and Las Vegas and other places. Mostly around Interstates, but you can find them useful in other places too.

We also have 2m and 70cm amateur radios in the truck and trailer, HF in the trailer, and have a couple of Garmin Rino 530HCx radios (with a GMRS license). We monitor 146.52MHz while driving, and run APRS with Voice Alert.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

This is the oldest I could find:

Click here.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been pulling my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer since 2008 and monitoring CH19 with my CB radio mounted under the seat of my TRUCK.

Have never heard another CB'er on it.

My OFF-ROAD POPUP has very visible ANTENNAs mounted on its roof indicating radio operations. My truck also has roof mounted radio antennas and HAM CALL SIGN TAGS.

I like to have the CB radio on Ch19 to listen to the truck road reports... I actually have the SQUELCH turned up all the way to insure I only have close proximity operations just in front or behind me going down the public roads...

The Wife and I use FRS RADIOS to stay in touch when walking around the local towns and campgrounds.

All other times we use the cell phone service...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still use one. But I live and camp where cell coverage is either spotty or non existent. And the GMRS has its limitations. As does CB. Terrain being the biggest

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

It's a surprise to me.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The last CB I had was... probably ... 1986. It was a portable hand held complete unit with a magnetic antenna that you put on the roof of your vehicle. We had a LOT of fun with that thing. Technology changed. We did too. I haven't seen a CB in many, many years!