cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resurrecting an issue

CALNNC
Explorer
Explorer
I was just searching for info on the use of a particular CB channel for RV'ers, while moving or setup. Some of the posts that come up are 18 years old. Is anybody using CB or GMRS service to keep in contact and are there any dedicated channels for this?
38 REPLIES 38

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:

. . . . . I can't believe how many guys are driving down the road with their CBs off listening to the old lady yak, when they could be talking to someone more interesting.

I can only presume that your DW doesn't read this forum. :B

I'd hate to be in your shoes if someone shows it to her. :E

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We RV travel a lot with another couple - each in their own RV.

For constant communication between the lead RV and the following RV, we use walkie-talkies that each of us leave turned ON all the time. The units have a power saver mode so their batteries last a long time - even when left on 24/7.

Pushing a walkie talkie button is way faster than using cell phones/smart phones .... and walkie talkies always work .... where cell phones/smart phones require a strong enough cell tower signal.

During our recent long trip that we just completed with another couple, they even used their walkie talkies between the husband and wife for backing up and positioning their travel trailer at campsites.

The good old walkie talkie is still alive and well.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Both motorhomes we've owned had/have a CB radio. I find it very convenient checking traffic during construction zones or accidents. The 'drivers' will usually let you know which lane to be in.

Our first CB was the 'all-in-one' type unit. I found it hard to control as the buttons seemed a little awkward. The new coach has the old style CB where the unit is located to the right of my seat at the floor. The handheld microphone is smaller than the previous and much lighter and easier to control.

Sometimes the language can get rather salty but most the time it either informative during slowing traffic or quiet as a mouse.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

CALNNC
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the ham/cb assessment. I drove from NC to FLA for years on a regular basis and for the majority of the time, 2 meters was dead and many repeater were so clickish nobody would respond to a call. CB on the other hand was entertainment, and somebody would always talk to you.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Our local "put-it-down" cell phone law specifically exempts radio communications.
"Radio communications" includes Ham and CB operators, law enforcement, business band operators, and hands-free cell phone use.
At the present time, there is no state wide ban on hand held communications.
CB can be very handy (sometimes mandatory) when going on a trail ride with a 4x4 club. As stated, not every body is a Ham operator or has a GMRS license. I have found FRS radios to be pretty much useless in the mountains for anything but short distance (100 yards) communications.
I have traveled from MT to Central CA, monitoring CB Channel 19 and 146.520 (the national 2-meter call channel), with "Amateur Radio" license plates (the plate number is my call sign). I talked to several people on the CB, but even though I announced myself on the 2 meter rig every couple of hours, I only got one call, about 40 miles from my destination. We talked for many miles.
I need to check my radios, and put one back in the truck, and one in the motorhome.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bert1
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from a 4000 mile trip. CB was so quiet I thought it was broke. Trucker friend says that they are being treated the same now as cell phones for the "hands-free" laws so the trucker aren't using them unless parked. Anyone hear anything else on this? I usually run channel 19 to listen to the truckers and a lot of RV groups use channel 14 as some walkie talkies use that same frequency.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing official, but as far as I know, Channel 13 is the unofficial Good Sam RVers channel. Most of our GS Chapter members still have CBs and we use channel 13 when traveling together.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pirate wrote:
I like listening to 19. Good info sometimes. Had some nice conversations when bypassing traffic jams. Truckers can be nice too.

And, you can always turn it off or change stations if they are not.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I like listening to 19. Good info sometimes. Had some nice conversations when bypassing traffic jams. Truckers can be nice too.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
We have one for travel on the interstate. Listen to channel 19. Sometimes get road reports and warnings. Also it will probably be useful if there is a zombie apocalypse.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
4X4Dodger wrote:
A CB is very handy if you want to hear some Truckers calling out for "commercial tail" as they roll into a rest area or truck stop, swear at each other endlessly and scream and rant about political matters they seem to have very little true understanding of. Then of course there's always one somewhere that just delights in making sound effects and nothing else.

Just what I want to listen to.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
A CB is very handy if you want to hear some Truckers calling out for ****** as they roll into a rest area or truck stop, swear at each other endlessly and scream and rant about political matters they seem to have very little true understanding of. Then of course there's always one somewhere that just delights in making sound effects and nothing else.

Just what I want to listen to.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
..Here is one.. from November 23,2000.
Wow.. good find!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our coach CB has bailed us out a few times when getting an advance notice of a construction or accident backup allowed us to take an alternate route. As far as talking goes, I'd much rather talk to my wife than some of the fools I hear on the CB. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate