cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rhino Hose Goo After Cutting the Hose

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
I shortened a new Rhino hose so it would fit in a sewer hose storage tube. I noticed the fittings and hose ends have some sort of lubricant/sealant on them. Any idea what that is? It's kinda like Vaseline, but I would think Vaseline would get gooey in high heat. I didn't re-use the elbow (that goes into a CG's sewer access hole) that came on the hose originally. I replaced it with a fitting so the hose assembly serves as an extension, not my primary hose. Using the cut hose end and a fresh-out-of-the-package fitting, there's no residual goo on the new connection. There were no instructions with the connector's packaging. I don't have a problem putting the pieces together, that's self explanatory, I just want to ensure a water tight seal.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack
6 REPLIES 6

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Searching around, some people say Dialectic Grease is silicone grease. I have a giant tube of it that's a lifetime supply. Anybody know the difference between silicone grease and synthetic grease? Is one prefered over the other?
If there's a drop, it's a leak. A leak is a leak, no matter the size. I strive for zero leaks.
Here's a pic of the goo, the elbow I cut off/removed that I'm not presently using and the fitting that's going on the cut hose end:

I imagine, by looking back at the thread title, people might have expected a different kinda goo from a cut sewer hose. Thankfully, it's a new hose.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Since the sewer hose isn't under any real pressure, it doesn't take much for it to not leak. I've replaced fittings on those hoses and never used any such goo, and have never seen any leaks of any significance.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silicone grease
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Might be plumbers grease, dark or clear waterproof very thick silicone.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Cool. Thanks. I have some Green Grease I picked up for a bicycle project. It's touted as waterproof and it's synthetic. I'll give that a whirl.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I had the end off my rhino once and noticed the goo too, it was hot and the goo was still thick, so it's probably some sort of industrial grease... maybe silicone based, thats why it doesn't get runny in hot weather?

Looks like Walmart sells a silicone grease in the automotive section.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed