cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rid-X for Black Water Tank ??

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
For whatever reason, it suddenly dawned on me that maybe I should just use Rid-X in my black water tank instead of the overpriced additives that are sold for camping use. I realize I might not get the odor control that some might provide, but on the other hand, if the Rid-X does it's job, maybe that won't be so much of a problem.

I should add that I am just starting out as a full-timer so this would be for long-term use, as opposed to just weekend or vacation use.

Do any of you use Rid-X or a like product ?

Thanks,

Tim
20 REPLIES 20

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
I clipped this from the Rid-X website FAQs list:

โ€ขRID-Xยฎ has not been tested on recreational vehicles (RVs). therefore we cannot recommend using it in RVs

They don't say you can't use it, just that they don't know if it will work or if it will harm anything.

But with the price of it, you can give it a try.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
Rid-X does not recommend their product for RV holding tanks. It is for septic systems.
AGREE. Their website says they haven't tested it in RV's and can't recommend its use. But they say it's safe for all plumbing.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You tank isn't a septic system, it's just a holding tank and the "stuff" wont stay in there long enough for the RidEx to do anything.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Rid-X does not recommend their product for RV holding tanks. It is for septic systems.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I use it once or twice a year, normally before making a long drive where I know my toilet use will be minimal for several days and the chemicals will have 2-3 weeks to work. I also use a clear connector when I dump. Seems like that first dump after using Rid-X, there are far fewer solids. Because of the Rid-X or the drive? Not sure but it couldn't hurt and the RV specific chemicals I've seen are mostly deodorizers anyway.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search and you will find lots of posts from previous discussions.

Here's one thread from last August on Rid-X
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE