cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadside assistance

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
I am asking for comments from people that have their roadside assistance as part of their State Farm insurance policy. Any input both good and bad would be appreciated.

We have had AAA for years but the cost difference keeps getting greater and it is time to look around.

Thanks
2004 Born Free class c
26 REPLIES 26

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
Seon wrote:
I never have used GS in the many years I've been a member. But today I couldn't get my tow vehicle started so I called to schedule a tow for January 7th, 2021 which is the soonest my garage can squeeze me in.

The recorded message had me to go thru a series of questions.. punching numbers/letters as what I needed, what type vehicle, yada, yada so I did and added a note that I want to schedule a tow for January 7th.

Shortly later I get a text to call 800-xxx-xxxx and use my phone number as reference which I called. That call then transfer me to dispatch..HUH?? So I explain that I need a tow for January 7th but was told they can't schedule that far out and to call on Sunday to schedule. "Okay, I'll call Sunday" says I.

Shortly after I get a call asking what type vehicle and when and where do I want the tow. HUH again???

I explained again that I need a tow..."Oh never mind" I said, "I don't need a tow".

End of conversation but wait...I get a text asking if I still need a tow and what type of vehicle.

I didn't reply and now have a head ache.

Why not just have the tow done now and leave the car with your mechanic or ask for the tow to be completed the night before it is needed at the mechanic? I can understand why they can't schedule a tow way out, they are roadside assistance, their job is to send help immediately, or get your vehicle someplace that can fix it, also immediately.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Seon wrote:
I never have used GS in the many years I've been a member. But today I couldn't get my tow vehicle started so I called to schedule a tow for January 7th, 2021 which is the soonest my garage can squeeze me in.

The recorded message had me to go thru a series of questions.. punching numbers/letters as what I needed, what type vehicle, yada, yada so I did and added a note that I want to schedule a tow for January 7th.

Shortly later I get a text to call 800-xxx-xxxx and use my phone number as reference which I called. That call then transfer me to dispatch..HUH?? So I explain that I need a tow for January 7th but was told they can't schedule that far out and to call on Sunday to schedule. "Okay, I'll call Sunday" says I.

Shortly after I get a call asking what type vehicle and when and where do I want the tow. HUH again???

I explained again that I need a tow..."Oh never mind" I said, "I don't need a tow".

End of conversation but wait...I get a text asking if I still need a tow and what type of vehicle.

I would not necessary base your overall evaluation of the GS Emergency Road Service based on your recent call but rather an incompetent service dispatch person.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Seon wrote:
Re-reading the Platinum Roadside Assistance membership includes Operational and Technical Assistance by Certified RV Technicians. So will a tech come out to get my vehicle started?

I needed a jump start on my Toyota minivan (I'm RV-less right now) Good Sam tech arrived promptly and, using a small device, got me going quickly. Purchased a new battery later that day at Walmart and was good to go. If you have any questions about your roadside assistance, just give them a call. They're a good outfit, IMHO. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re-reading the Platinum Roadside Assistance membership includes Operational and Technical Assistance by Certified RV Technicians. So will a tech come out to get my vehicle started?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
State Farm and AAA are not your best choice for RV towing service. Go with Good Sam or Coachnet.

X2. Iโ€™ve had Good Sam roadside assistance ever since I was RVing, and was never disappointed.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
I have AAA Plus RV - towed my 5th wheel this summer after the shackles broke. Had to tie up the rear axel to tow. It took him a while to get to me, but we were far from any services, actually very lucky to have cell coverage 1 mile either way and would not have had service. The guy was great, even called a shop to see if they could take us. In the end, towed us to Les Schwab who did the service for under $200. The tow was no charge. They would have towed us from Wallace ID to Spokane WA is that is where we needed to go, fortunately we only needed to go to Kellogg. Would not have wanted to go further set up that way.

are you aware that AAA lowered their RV Plus benefits, back in November?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I don't know anything about State Farm but. Check your policy to see exactly what is covered. Lots of folks have been unhappily surprised.

Triple AAA has provided me with excellent roadside service at very cheap price. No complaints so far. Cheers

Some told me that AAA RV services are not universally available in all states and cities????

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have AAA Plus RV - towed my 5th wheel this summer after the shackles broke. Had to tie up the rear axel to tow. It took him a while to get to me, but we were far from any services, actually very lucky to have cell coverage 1 mile either way and would not have had service. The guy was great, even called a shop to see if they could take us. In the end, towed us to Les Schwab who did the service for under $200. The tow was no charge. They would have towed us from Wallace ID to Spokane WA is that is where we needed to go, fortunately we only needed to go to Kellogg. Would not have wanted to go further set up that way.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
To get a real comparison of Roadside Assistance plans you should do a complete side by side list of services and limitations that each plan offers. You also have to remember that you will read evaluations from people about a particular Road Assistance Plan based on a negative experience they personally had on a specific incident. The world is not %100 perfect all the time nor are all RA plans. Pick the one that meets the greatest number of your RV needs.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
I don't know anything about State Farm but. Check your policy to see exactly what is covered. Lots of folks have been unhappily surprised.

Triple AAA has provided me with excellent roadside service at very cheap price. No complaints so far. Cheers

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Save your self some grief if you can't perform the service your self and look at your phone and say "Hey Siri/Google" and ask for the nearest tow company. Make arrangements your self, pay for it your self and then give the bill to your agent and wala they send you a check before the credit card statement is due!

Totally agree with your opinion!!!!!!! When you are broke down on the side of the road is NOT the time you want to try and find a tow truck that you have no information about. With GS road side assistance, I just pull out a card with a phone # on it, tell the agent where I am and what the issue problems are. The agent has a list of tow truck businesses in your area and they call and the truck is on the way. I don't pay any $$ up front, GSRA is billed. As an example, one of my towing service calls cost $1200 and another one cost $1000 and no cost to me:)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
CoachNet

GS sucks: Good Sam Roadside
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Save your self some grief if you can't perform the service your self and look at your phone and say "Hey Siri/Google" and ask for the nearest tow company. Make arrangements your self, pay for it your self and then give the bill to your agent and wala they send you a check before the credit card statement is due!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD