cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question about service

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our camper new at a Camping World. Soon after we used it we discovered a puddle of water next to the tub. Took it back to camping world twice, both times they could not find the source of the leak, they seemed convinced it was due to us letting shower water drip onto the floor.(ie not securing the shower curtain) Because, you know, we're idiots or something.

We've had it over a year now, and the last time we camped we didn't use the shower, but the puddle still appeared.

I have since discovered the puddle forms when the toilet is flushed. I'm not a plumber or an RV tech, just a guy with a flashlight and a ticked off wife. Does camping world need to fix this or is it even worth the hassle to take it back to them.
I got here as quick as I could.
21 REPLIES 21

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you would like to "get her done" you got to get up close and personal with that commode. Seriously, I did and discovered it was the vacuum breaker as described by the Ole Biscuit.

Bought one from amazon and slapped it on there. Watch out there are a bidet and non bidet type.

Otherwise , get your wallet out and get the mobile tech in there to "get her done".

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your first mistake was buying at CW, the second was taking it to them for service. Find another dealer for your unit or call a mobile tech. You will have nothing but headaches dealing with CW.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I had to do some work on my toilet and was surprised that everywhere that there was a threaded fitting it was only finger tight. Check connections and keep flushing the toilet until you discover where the water is coming from.

This is my suggestion as well. When we bought our Bungalow, we had a long demo with water hooked up and all was fine. A few days after we took delivery, I discovered a decent sized puddle in the kitchen about 3 feet from the edge of the counter shortly after the shower was used. I found the water was coming from the hot water fitting on the sink in the half bath about 15 feet from where the puddle was (followed the plumbing from the half bath towards the puddle). I put some thread tape on both hot and cold fittings at that sink and tightened them both.

Problem solved until the next summer. Puddle again, same place. This time is was the hot water fitting on the kitchen sink. Again, put thread tape on both hot and cold fittings and tightened down. No more puddle in the kitchen.

Water will flow to the lowest point it can get to. Water may be near the shower, but it maybe coming from somewhere entirely different.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
Just a reminder that Forum Rules prohibit any discussion of legal options. Iโ€™m no fan of
CW, but the legal relief is not up for discussion.

Only one person suggested lawyering up over a leaky toilet...Iโ€™d hope no one took him seriously! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
Just a reminder that Forum Rules prohibit any discussion of legal options. Iโ€™m no fan of
CW, but the legal relief is not up for discussion.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I read as far as Camping World then went Uh Oh, I know what is coming next & it won't be pretty.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
First problem. you went to Camping World. Now best thing to do is forget Camping world, and find a real tech to fix it, and try to get your cost paid by the manufacturer. Camping World forgot about you when you hooked up
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Sandia Man wrote:
I guess if it is still under warranty you could take it in, I never did take our rig in for service during the first year. Rather than leave it for who knows how long, dealer provided parts under warranty and I fixed it myself. It could simply be toilet valve or one of the hose connections that is leaking, I do all my own work over the last 3 decades on several RVs we owned, knowing full well the work I do is going to be better than what any RV dealer will provide. Good luck!!!

I agree, no sense to leave it at CW, and after a year has passed, you likely won't get any warranty. A mobile repairman, or plumber, maybe just a handy friend should be able to locate/fix a water leak. This would also give you an opportunity to learn how to do some repairs yourself, by watching, asking questions.

Jerry

I can highly recommend the mobile tech. Any mobile tech. Oh, hell, any plumber. Ain't nothing magical about RV plumbing, except perhaps that the guys who put it together expect magic to keep it water tight.

After finding puddles on the floor after the first couple times we used they shower (bought it new, btw), being the handy guy I am, I opened the access door under the shower to do a little exploring. Found that whoever put the shower drain together didn't bother to tighten anything. All those connections need only be hand tight, so it was easy to fix.

Your problem might be the toilet bowl to floor/black tank seal. Or it might be a fitting on the water line to the toilet. Either one should be easy enough to find and fix. Anybody who couldn't find the leak didn't try very hard, IMHO. Ten bucks tops for the parts and a service call to the mobile tech should solve the matter.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sandia Man wrote:
I guess if it is still under warranty you could take it in, I never did take our rig in for service during the first year. Rather than leave it for who knows how long, dealer provided parts under warranty and I fixed it myself. It could simply be toilet valve or one of the hose connections that is leaking, I do all my own work over the last 3 decades on several RVs we owned, knowing full well the work I do is going to be better than what any RV dealer will provide. Good luck!!!

I agree, no sense to leave it at CW, and after a year has passed, you likely won't get any warranty. A mobile repairman, or plumber, maybe just a handy friend should be able to locate/fix a water leak. This would also give you an opportunity to learn how to do some repairs yourself, by watching, asking questions.

Jerry

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you reported the problem practically on Day one Camping world needs to fix not only the problem but any secondary damage it may have caused.

However they may resist and you may need professional legal help to convince them to fix it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
P.S. - Warranty service work is meant to piss you off so much that you never bring it back again.

Very accurate statement from my experience with CW & Manufacturer. A lot of finger pointing as to who the hold up in the process. You do end up fixing a lot of stuff yourself just so you don't have to deal with the back and forth.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

dedmiston
I second the suggestion to find a good local mobile RV tech. You might have to wait a week or so, but that beats leaving it with CW for months and then them telling you they can't reproduce the issue.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have come to the conclusion that you look at a RV and the list price is reduced to $xxxxxx. Wow what savings!!!
Truth the list price is what it would have sold for if they had built it right.
You get that discount because they didn't and you'll need that discount difference to pay for parts and labor to bring it up to what they pretended to sell you.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
On your TT the shower and toilet are in same room with toilet close to shower

So water puddle shows up W/O using shower but when flushing toilet

Toilet inlet water supply would leak whether toilet was flushed or not

Toilet 'Vacuum Breaker' can leak when flushing. It is a small plastic container at top of toilet (backside)
Supply water goes to it and then from it to toilet bowl
When supply water goes in the flapper closes off the small hole at top of container
When toilet water valve closes the water in the vacuum breaker flows down into bowl...that is where the sealing water in bowl comes from

If Flapper doesn't close...water can leak out thru that hole at top, run down backside of toilet and cause a puddle

wrap TP around toilet water inlet fittings, around inlet valve and lay some pieces of TP around base of toilet

Flush/use toilet then check for wet TP
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31