cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV At Dealer for 90 Days Now for An Awning Replacement!!!!!

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
I had my awning torn off in a windstorm. In about October I made an appointment to drop my trailer off at a dealer to have it replaced. The appointment was for the end of DEC. After waiting 60 days for my appointment I dropped it off.

When I did so I asked how long it would take and told them I had bad luck in the past with extended waits. They told me....10 days.

Here we are 3 months later and it's not done yet.

Same thing happened to me last year but it was about 60 days.

Had the same thing happen at another dealer the year before where I made an appointment months in advance and they had the trailer for 60 days and had not touched it.

Is this standard for the RV industry? I means this is ridiculous. And it's in the winter months when I would think they would be able to get things done pretty quick.

What the heck would happen if I had a real issue in the summer or during a period when I needed to actually live out of my trailer (like I am doing this summer when I move)?

Dealers: Chesaco RV in Edgewood MD and Petes RV (formerly Gayle Kline in PA).

Does it really take 6 months in the off season to get a simple repair (from the time you call to make an appointment to the time you get the rig back)? What kind of industry can operate like this? What if fixing your car took this long? How could someone possible full-time RV when it takes this long to get a repair done?

thanks
Matt
32 REPLIES 32

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
bowler1 wrote:
Well the story gets better. I emailed the dealer at the same time that I made this post. I told them the situation and that I needed the trailer back. I do....I am in the Army and moving from MD to TX. I move out of my house in a month. I am moving my family of 6 into my trailer in a month. The response got was that the trailer would be ready for pickup next WED.

But then....last night I got an email saying that they received the awning yesterday and it was damaged. They said they ordered another that will be shipped in 2-3 weeks. That does not work with my timeline.

But here is the thing....I don't know where else to get the work done at this point. I was also getting the wheel bearings re-packed and some tires replaced. I would like that done prior to my 1800 mile move to TX.

I am not aware of any mobile RV mechanics in my area.

I am beyond pissed. I planned accordinly for something absolutely needed.

Do I have to be one of those complete A___hole customers in order to get what I want? I hate doing that and shoudl not have to.

matt

https://onthespotrvservice.com/

http://www.midatlanticrvservice.com/

They both do mobile RV service in Maryland.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch wrote:
12th Man Fan wrote:
If the stealer has ordered the new awning you will probably be on the hook for some charges. Unfortunately having an appointment with one of these jokers only means they will make someone available to accept your rig and they have a place to park it, nothing more.

I asked my stealer on warranty work to order the parts and I would bring it in when they arrived and they had time to do the work. They refused to order the parts unless the rig was on the lot.

This is a one way street right now. I will use a mobile tech if I need something I can't do myself.

Good luck.

I wouldn't pay a penny,no matter what. Dealer breached the contract, job should have been done in ten days. Pick up your trailer and drive off. Let the dealer find a market for his new excess awning.

I'd be surprised if they would even order it without a deposit.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need an awning right away, get one at your destination. Tires should be bought from a local tire dealer, not an RV dealer. Wheel bearing service is best done yourself or use a local garage, an RV dealer will use the cheapest help and do a sloppy job while charging way too much. Yes, you are the customer, accept nothing less than what you agree on.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Shame on that dealer for putting you in this predicament.

Thank you for your service. We should be treating you better. If I knew what dealer it was, I'd call and give them a piece of my mind.

Maybe he will tell you ,and you can go get them.

dedmiston
Shame on that dealer for putting you in this predicament.

Thank you for your service. We should be treating you better. If I knew what dealer it was, I'd call and give them a piece of my mind.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Well the story gets better. I emailed the dealer at the same time that I made this post. I told them the situation and that I needed the trailer back. I do....I am in the Army and moving from MD to TX. I move out of my house in a month. I am moving my family of 6 into my trailer in a month. The response got was that the trailer would be ready for pickup next WED.

But then....last night I got an email saying that they received the awning yesterday and it was damaged. They said they ordered another that will be shipped in 2-3 weeks. That does not work with my timeline.

But here is the thing....I don't know where else to get the work done at this point. I was also getting the wheel bearings re-packed and some tires replaced. I would like that done prior to my 1800 mile move to TX.

I am not aware of any mobile RV mechanics in my area.

I am beyond pissed. I planned accordinly for something absolutely needed.

Do I have to be one of those complete A___hole customers in order to get what I want? I hate doing that and shoudl not have to.

matt

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is now parked permanently as a guest house at the cottage.
I took the awning off and installed it on our deck. It was just the two of us, a bit awkward but easily done in a couple of hours.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bowler1 wrote:
I had my awning torn off in a windstorm. In about October I made an appointment to drop my trailer off at a dealer to have it replaced. The appointment was for the end of DEC. After waiting 60 days for my appointment I dropped it off.

When I did so I asked how long it would take and told them I had bad luck in the past with extended waits. They told me....10 days.

Here we are 3 months later and it's not done yet.

Same thing happened to me last year but it was about 60 days.

Had the same thing happen at another dealer the year before where I made an appointment months in advance and they had the trailer for 60 days and had not touched it.

Is this standard for the RV industry? I means this is ridiculous. And it's in the winter months when I would think they would be able to get things done pretty quick.

What the heck would happen if I had a real issue in the summer or during a period when I needed to actually live out of my trailer (like I am doing this summer when I move)?

Dealers: Chesaco RV in Edgewood MD and Petes RV (formerly Gayle Kline in PA).

Does it really take 6 months in the off season to get a simple repair (from the time you call to make an appointment to the time you get the rig back)? What kind of industry can operate like this? What if fixing your car took this long? How could someone possible full-time RV when it takes this long to get a repair done?

thanks
Matt

Thats 80 more days then I would have let them keep it. As been pointed out there are a lot better alternatives.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if I had a dealer to go to, I don't, I would use a mobile tech. Have the awning shipped wherever necessary, & be prepared to give the tech a hand since an awning is a big awkward thing to handle.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
12th Man Fan wrote:
If the stealer has ordered the new awning you will probably be on the hook for some charges. Unfortunately having an appointment with one of these jokers only means they will make someone available to accept your rig and they have a place to park it, nothing more.

I asked my stealer on warranty work to order the parts and I would bring it in when they arrived and they had time to do the work. They refused to order the parts unless the rig was on the lot.

This is a one way street right now. I will use a mobile tech if I need something I can't do myself.

Good luck.

I wouldn't pay a penny,no matter what. Dealer breached the contract, job should have been done in ten days. Pick up your trailer and drive off. Let the dealer find a market for his new excess awning.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Both of those dealers suck. Chesaco sucks more than Pete's, but not by much. If you absolutely need to use a dealer for service which is not warranty related, which it sounds like the issue is not due to wind damage, drive further north to Keystone RV Mega over the line in Greencastle PA. At least you'll only have to wait a month or two there if you're lucky.

"Is this standard for the RV industry?"

Yes. They're busy prepping and pushing new sales out the door while your rig rots away on some back lot. They probably let your battery/s discharge to nothing and killed them too in the process, and hope it did not develop a leak while sitting because they could care less about that also. If I was to guess at the percentage of RV dealer that suck in this regard I would say more than 80%, 99% if it happens to be a Camping World.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I measured mine and ordered from Amazon, got it in 2 days and took a couple of hours to install with my brother's help. If you can't do it get a mobile repair service.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Well I can say my dealer has been great. We had a few warranty things that needed fixed. Took it to them the day before the appointment they fixed what they could the next day and I picked it up that evening. They order the parts needed called me when they came in and we set a appointment. Took it back on the day before the appointment. They fixed it and I pick it up late afternoon on the appointment day.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

dedmiston
I think one of the happiest days in any RVer's life is the day they're done with warranty work and can wave goodbye to the dealer forever.

I've got two great mobile techs here in town. It's money well spent. I never have to miss a trip or leave the rig at the dealer's lot.

I've become good friends with one of the techs and he stops by to hang out with me at the storage lot when he sees me working on my rig.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230